Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
This is definitely getting interesting!

At least maybe we can purchase a new Monaco RV with something other than a Navistar engine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Just my honest opinion but anything is better than selling out to a company only interested in breaking it down for a quick profit. SVC is a strong company with some impressive numbers and products! Fleetwood and AC have had there share of problems 4-5 years ago. Since SVC has acquired them FW and AC have been renewed and is strong as ever. You will hear of John Dreyheim and he is a down to earth person with the future in his vision. He's and his associates are welcome back in our coach anytime. We need to look at this as plus for all involved. Tell him you know Muffin!
Sorry, but "who / what " is SVC ?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #31

I'm sorry, ASV. Allied Specialty Vehicles, got my letters wrong. They produce Ambulances, Rescue , Switcher Trucks, Mobile Command Vehicles and other vehicles worldwide.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Latest shoe has fallen.....................

VIDEO 2: ASV Moving Monaco, HR Production | RV Business

Ron
That didn't take long did it!!
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #33

We saw that coming when they changed the name to Navistar RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Late Breaking News:

Fleetwood Parent Acquires Monaco RV

Navistar RV has been sold to an equity firm that will see the Monaco, H
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #34

You have to be a complete fool to mess with Canada Customs. Especially when the fees are so little.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm View Post
My question would be, does this include the roadmaster chassis and if so will they use them on their Fleetwood and American line? Could we see Monaco and HR on Freightliners? Here's hoping this is not the end of the RV Roadmaster Chassis.
Quoting John Draheim, president and CEO of Fleetwood RV Inc. in an article on RV Business at ASV is Emerging as Major Motorhome Player | RV Business -

“The Roadmaster chassis is currently being assembled in an out-building in Wakarusa. We haven’t made a decision if we will continue to build chassis.”

Sound as though that decision is still up in the air.
Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Sure hope they keep the Roadmaster chassis, that is a big plus in our book, especially with the air levelling.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I think a chassis with independent front suspension might be better than a straight steer axle. I have not driven one with IFS, but I know that the Roadmaster Chassis is a older design that Monaco purchased the right to build from I believe a bus company or was it GM? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I think a chassis with independent front suspension might be better than a straight steer axle. I have not driven one with IFS, but I know that the Roadmaster Chassis is a older design that Monaco purchased the right to build from I believe a bus company or was it GM? deSanford
Monaco purchased the Original Roadmaster company and design from Chrysler in the mid 80's. I decided that the IFS vs straight axle design was a none issue for me when researching a full timing coach. Early on, I was very impressed with IFS on motorhome chassis. I remember very vividly having a very long conversation with Ron Doyle who was the CEO of Western RV and the builder of Alpine Coach. They were building the Peak chassis and in the mid 2000's you couldn't find a better handling coach. Ron's opinion, which I came to share, was that the benefit was not great enough to off set the downside. In my mind the greatest benefit to IFS is an up to 5 degree greater wheel cut. In my test drives of both systems I could not detect any advantage in ride or handling. When dealing with a vehicle of 35-50k pounds stability and robust design are top priority.

Going forward, I would like to see the Roadmaster chassis continue to be the platform for Monaco Coaches with the S Series chassis returning to production. The H frame suspension design could use some tweaking to further add to good handling but IFS adds complexity for what I see as no good reason. As always the above represents my opinion only.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #39

Actually when Chrysler was almost bankrupt some of the chassis engineers went out on their own to build the new chassis. That did not last long and Monaco purchased either the design or the company. It was light years ahead of any other chassis. Would be a shame if it was dropped. Maybe they will drop the lower end Monacos and concentrate on Dynasty/Sig type units. Thor manages to build some cheap stuff yet still makes the Airstream trailers. I wonder how they will build the Monacos on the same line as the FW's. They are a completely different design. Building the Chassis elsewhere is no problem as FW does not build the Power Bridge nor the American chassis on site. I just hope that the new company does not decide to have Lippert build the chassis. They make junk!!! The latest trend is for mfrs. to simply be assemblers and the components are all farmed out. Lippert now has the ability to build all the superstructure. At their peak Monaco was a true manufacturer. I guess those days are gone!
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #40

When I traded my HR back in 2008 for my revolution I had to leave the HRCC will I get to rejoin now.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
You have to be a complete fool to mess with Canada Customs. Especially when the fees are so little.
We already saw a Press Release about that .... It wound up costing the owner hundreds more plus the inconvenience and the waste of time. Don't do it!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320
Decreasing competition is never a good thing, IMHO.
I agree. Competition is what will drive quality. Lets hope that Country Coach can find a path forward to resume production. I like having several manufacturers compete for quality rather than low price. My 1999 Holiday Rambler was a well built Motorhome.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, navistar