Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GM to halt medium-duty truck production

GM plans to cease production of Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC Topkick medium-duty trucks by July 31.

Details.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Unfortunately, this is first blow to the "middle" market, fuel efficient units and heavy duty items will be the only survivors.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #3

Wow that's not good,news sorry to hear this...Maybe later they will be able to get started again it may just be temporary.
2005 Cardinal 35CKT,2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke,CC,4x4,5" Dual exhaust,Hypertech powerchip 111 stage,Firestone Airbags,25K Airsafe Hitch,125cc Yamaha scooter,250cc Lance Scooter.Basset Hound (Shorty).
Charles & Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
GM has been trying to sell their medium duty truck line for about 4 years (ref Ford/Sterling, owned by Mercedes). They were not successful, so they're shutting it down.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
GM has been trying to sell their medium duty truck line for about 4 years (ref Ford/Sterling, owned by Mercedes). They were not successful, so they're shutting it down.

Rusty
Well I"m a Ford man anyway.
2005 Cardinal 35CKT,2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke,CC,4x4,5" Dual exhaust,Hypertech powerchip 111 stage,Firestone Airbags,25K Airsafe Hitch,125cc Yamaha scooter,250cc Lance Scooter.Basset Hound (Shorty).
Charles & Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Well I'm particular to Ford too, probably out of habit more then anything else .. not a good reason, but I think the Kodiak compares(d) quite favorably next to a F550.
So i'm sorry to see them out of the market.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Good riddance, those things did not handle well around other high profile vehicles or in cross winds without adding some expensive aftermarket suspension upgrades. I hated mine and love the International class 6 chassis I have now. Most coach builders loaded too much weight on the class 5 Chevy even before liquids, passengers, and gear were added for the camping experience.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Prior to the announcement, GM had already slated the 8.1L Vortec engine, which was the standard engine for the MDT line, for termination. The engine choices are causing a scramble I would expect that chassis and body builders are going to wonder what's going to happen to this very popular segment of the RV industry.

One industry that relied heavily on the 8.1 engine was Mercruiser.

Continued engine sunsets are also on the horizon for other gasoline big blocks makers as well.

We haven't heard anything from GM's Class C production division. I would expect that the GM van and chassis product will continue going forward. Workhorse markets and badges GM Class C van and chassis products. These vehicles are popping up more frequently. While engaged in our current travels, I saw a number of these on the road.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #9

An alternative is the Freightliner Business Class M2. They use a Mercedes 7.2L in line 6 diesel with 660 ft-lb torque coupled to an Allision 3000TRV. So far we are very happy with the stability, high load capacity and towing capacity. The low/high engine brake keeps you off the brakes in the mountains. We have this setup in a 26ft Dynamax ST. Perhaps by cutting back on some of the options this chassis would be a viable alternative for other companies with a moderate price point.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to WheelDweller Send a message via AIM to WheelDweller Send a message via Yahoo to WheelDweller
I would imagine this news is most important to the monster-sized machines, and especially those looking for a new upgrade.

One reason I decided to customize an otherwise empty trailer was so that I could switch out the 'tractor' at any time as the cost got too high or the age of it became a problem.

I'm *clearly* in a forum with guys who've tried a thing or two in my class; what does everyone like as a use pick-up or van capable of pulling a 4000# trailer like these days?

My Dad and I have had decades of satisfaction with Dodge, but who are they now? GM was always a good second choice because Ford had screwed us hard in the 60's. Just never been a Ford guy, and neither is my mechanic-daughter.

I'm not opposed to non-American vehicles...just...what's left out there these days?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Toyota Tundras are available in configurations that tow up to 10,000 lbs. And with traditional Toyota attention to quality and detail too. I think there is a Nissan Titan pick-up in that rating class too. Both have V8's.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Maybe International will re-introduce the RXT (Recreational Extreme Truck) truck given that GM has dropped out of the MDT business.

"This truck is large enough to make an H2 Hummer look like a Toyota Prius!"

Stranger things have happened!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to WheelDweller Send a message via AIM to WheelDweller Send a message via Yahoo to WheelDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Maybe International will re-introduce the RXT (Recreational Extreme Truck) truck given that GM has dropped out of the MDT business.

"This truck is large enough to make an H2 Hummer look like a Toyota Prius!"

Stranger things have happened!
Well, I'll tell ya what- that 1962 International Travelall was quite a nice place to grow up in. I haven't seen one in years, other than photos from eBay motors, but compared to today's vehicles it was quite a brute!

This thing had a steel dashboard. I forgot those used to be standard. And inside that steel dash were the same rugged, simple voltmeters ampmeters and such as on International's tractors. You could literally swap them out, if you needed to.

The space this thing used....did it really fit in a single lane? Seems I remember being able to sit four-wide on it's rear bench seat. Of course, at ages younger than 15, my butt was somewhat more narrow than now.

It was a beast of a thing, with plenty of room around the engine, a drop-down tailgate, and an odd look to it. I have a picture of one on my "Frequently Asked Questions" page at CounterMoon.org.

I suppose it was one of the first SUVs; shame it's resistance to rust was so low. If I had enough money, I'd like to have one of these as my 'project' car....

But now everyone's making different cars and trucks...I'm confused by the offerings. And I'm so angry at Congress for yanking people's life savings in GM to hand it to the unions (who weren't investing) that I don't think I could buy another American made care.