Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Louisville, KY., November. 29, 2005 International Truck and Engine Corporation, the operating company of Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV) and a leading truck manufacturer, will showcase the International RXT, its latest commercial pickup truck, at the National RV Trade Show in Louisville Nov. 29-Dec. 2.

The International RXT will be available to customers in March 2006. The eight-foot-tall International RXT is a 4x2 pickup truck targeted at commercial customers in markets requiring excellent hauling and towing capability including equestrian, boating, racecar hauling and RV. It features an eight-foot-long bed, spacious crew cab and commercial hydraulic brakes for stopping large loads or trailers.

International RXT

"The International RXT is the ultimate workhorse truck for many vocations," said Tom Cellitti, vice president and general manager of International's Medium Truck Vehicle Center. "With its large crew cab, powerful V8 diesel engine, and heavy-duty commercial features, this truck will be particularly appealing for applications that require extra muscle."

International brought the truck to the Workhorse Custom Chassis booth to elicit dealer reaction to its capabilities as a tow vehicle for RVs. International acquired Workhorse Custom Chassis, a major manufacturer of motor home chassis, over the summer, and it sees the RV market as a prime area for future growth.

Orders for the International RXT can be placed through International dealers throughout North America starting Jan. 1, with delivery as early as March. Prices will start in the high $70,000s.

International RXT

For more information on the new International RXT trucks or to find a local International dealer, visit International Delivers.com.

International Truck and Engine Corporation is the operating company of Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV). The company produces International brand commercial trucks, mid-range diesel engines and IC brand school buses and is a private label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. With the broadest distribution network in North America, the company also provides financing for customers and dealers. Additionally, through a joint venture with Ford Motor Company, the company builds medium commercial trucks and sells truck and diesel engine service parts. Additional information is available at International Delivers.com.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Louisville, KY., November. 29, 2005 International Truck and Engine Corporation, the operating company of Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV) and a leading truck manufacturer, will showcase the International RXT, its latest commercial pickup truck, at the National RV Trade Show in Louisville Nov. 29-Dec. 2.

The International RXT will be available to customers in March 2006. The eight-foot-tall International RXT is a 4x2 pickup truck targeted at commercial customers in markets requiring excellent hauling and towing capability including equestrian, boating, racecar hauling and RV. It features an eight-foot-long bed, spacious crew cab and commercial hydraulic brakes for stopping large loads or trailers.

International RXT

"The International RXT is the ultimate workhorse truck for many vocations," said Tom Cellitti, vice president and general manager of International's Medium Truck Vehicle Center. "With its large crew cab, powerful V8 diesel engine, and heavy-duty commercial features, this truck will be particularly appealing for applications that require extra muscle."

International brought the truck to the Workhorse Custom Chassis booth to elicit dealer reaction to its capabilities as a tow vehicle for RVs. International acquired Workhorse Custom Chassis, a major manufacturer of motor home chassis, over the summer, and it sees the RV market as a prime area for future growth.

Orders for the International RXT can be placed through International dealers throughout North America starting Jan. 1, with delivery as early as March. Prices will start in the high $70,000s.

International RXT

For more information on the new International RXT trucks or to find a local International dealer, visit International Delivers.com.

International Truck and Engine Corporation is the operating company of Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV). The company produces International brand commercial trucks, mid-range diesel engines and IC brand school buses and is a private label designer and manufacturer of diesel engines for the pickup truck, van and SUV markets. With the broadest distribution network in North America, the company also provides financing for customers and dealers. Additionally, through a joint venture with Ford Motor Company, the company builds medium commercial trucks and sells truck and diesel engine service parts. Additional information is available at International Delivers.com.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:08 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
The International RXT will be available to customers in March 2006. The eight-foot-tall International RXT is a 4x2 pickup truck targeted at commercial customers in markets requiring excellent hauling and towing capability including equestrian, boating, racecar hauling and RV. It features an eight-foot-long bed, spacious crew cab and commercial hydraulic brakes for stopping large loads or trailers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If it's anything like the one that's been on the market, the bed rails are so high that it would be impossible to tow a 5th wheel or enclosed gooseneck race car trailer with it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
.. If it's anything like the one that's been on the market, the bed rails are so high that it would be impossible to tow a 5th wheel or enclosed gooseneck race car trailer with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Rusty, Point taken. Now I have seen a Ford F-550 in a pickup body configuration and I observed the same thing, totally useless for pulling a fifth wheel trailer.

If the RXT is afforded an aftermarket specialty body, towing a fifth wheel shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mike,
Can you get one of those for me? I would love to test one out for them...I would be a great advertisement. Looking foward to getting a hands on feel of one of these. Keep the reports coming!
Lenny

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #6

I'd buy "One of these" before the International.

I have looked these over, driven one and saw a couple being built when I visited the shop in Arlington, TX. I LOVED what I saw. One of these days...... MAYBE.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don (W5IT):
I'd buy "one of these" before the International. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're not going to get into that rig for high 70s.

It's like comparing an over the road tractor to a pick up truck.

Take a look at the PDF brochure. The XT family of trucks can surely impress most folks, it's peaked my curiousity.

<span class="ev_code_red">XT Product Family</span>
Old 12-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Man, as tall as that thing is, IH needs to provide a step ladder and oxygen for the trip to the cab. I'm with Don, I want a Mini-Pete.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:24 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don (W5IT):
I'd buy "one of these" before the International. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're not going to get into that rig for high 70s.

It's like comparing an over the road tractor to a pick up truck.

Take a look at the PDF brochure. The XT family of trucks can surely impress most folks, it's peaked my curiousity.

<span class="ev_code_red">XT Product Family</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you will not get a "Lil Pete" like the one I linked to in the 70's. (It is right at $100,000) BUT, if I am gonna spend that much I am gonna put a little more with it and go with something functional. Heck just to replace the truck I have will cost ya close to $60,000 now....

To me the International is not a functional rig for RV use. More of a rich boy's pickup. Nice to tow a boat or something that is a draw type trailer. But not for fivers which is what a RV'r would buy a "Medium Duty" truck for...
Old 12-22-2005, 05:19 PM   #10

During the International "Take it to the road tour" I drove this one and the CXT which is built on the 7900 chassis and everyone's impressions are correct "THEY BLEW IT BIG TIME" This thing will appeal to a very limited bunch of rich kids who need something to tow their "Hummer" or 40' Cruiser to the cottage. I am 5' 11" tall and standing behind the RXT with tailgate down I can just reach the tailgate hinge. You need a 3 step platform or ladder to get into the bed. The box does not ride quietly behind you as on a regular P/U, IT RATTLES something fierce. The axles under the CXT are 10,000lb front and back with no air ride but 10,000lb spring packs and you talk about a rough ride. The course they set up used just the rubber bases of those large Orange striped traffic cones and when you drove over one of those things at 6 mph, it launched you out of the seat. You would get very tired riding in this thing very quickly.

Now a word about drivetrain: The DT 466 of all things with 250 HP rating and 620 Ft/LBS of torque. WOW; 50 HP less than your average diesel P/U and no better torque to move something that already weighs close to 10,000lbs plus your pull behind cargo trailer. I THINK NOT! OOPS on edit I see they've upped the power available to 310 max but no mention of torque. Well that's a start anyway.

They put a fairly nice interior in it but not up to the standards you've come to expect in a mid-price P/U.

They have an excellant platform in the 4400 with the DT570 engine and would have served the "recreational" towing public better by upgrading the interior and offering some of the additional creature comforts available on your over-the -road semi's.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I think Fontaine Modification did a better job af building a functional RV hauler on an International platform. I like Fontaines RVX much better.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
I think Fontaine Modification did a better job af building a functional RV hauler on an International platform. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What we see here is a specifically built 5th wheel hauler which should really kick butt and take names! Cetainly this model will offer excellent competition to the FL variant of the same hauler.

The other stock variants that International has developed are what one might call a "Joey Tribiani" or a "Toby Keith" machine. Huge muscular pickup trucks on the order of an H1 Hummer. Tim Taylor I bet wouldn't be able to get a bigger pickup truck!