Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Navistar RV Conference Call

Mr. William Osborne the President of Navistar RV took time today to speak with Monaco / Holiday Rambler owners in his first teleconference to address the concerns and rumors that have emerged over the past few months. His comments in my opinion were very candid and he spoke from a prepared text and was unable to take questions from the 360 people that were currently in the conference.

Early on, Osborne vehemently denied the bankruptcy rumors however he did allude that the company may likely be sold, but only to a company that is as committed as Navistar in caring for current customers.

Osborne spoke about how Navistar RV has executed its business plan over the past 20 months during his tenure and what Navistar RV customers can expect in the future. Osborne was clear in stating that the company will provide innovative products at every price point, continue to improve of quality control and expand their dealerships, parts and service network.

Osborne explained that due to Monaco Coach's demise over 2/3s of the dealers that were carrying the product are either themselves out of business or have dropped the brand at their dealerships. Osborne continued that they are aggressively pursuing every opportunity to expand the dealer network in all 50 states and they are constantly bringing in new dealerships. At the past RVIA Exposition, Osborne said that they had signed 6 new dealerships.

Osborne surprised a number of the attendees by announcing that due to the lack of customer demand that both the Monaco Vesta and the Holiday Rambler Trip were being cut from production and that no new orders were being taken.

Osborne commented that in regard to the higher tier Monaco products such as the Dynasty, Signature, and Executive; Navistar RV has signed a letter of agreement with Cummins who will provide their 15L ISX engine. The ISX, an SCR equipped engine, will be used to power Monaco's line of luxury coaches. Osborne said that they expect to begin building those models in the near term.

In regard to the legacy coaches such as Safari and Beaver; Navistar RV has not ruled out bringing those lines back but it may take a while for that business to develop. Key to the success of the product is getting the right powertrain in those coaches to meet customer demands.

Osborne stated that early in his tenure some of the coaches that were built may have had quality control issues as customers voiced disappointment however Osborne stated that support for those products would remain available to resolve those issues. In his comments, Osborne apologized for those issues and he stated that they are on track toward achieving the highest standards for quality control.

Continuing Osborne said; "New motor coaches that are coming off the line today exhibit much higher quality control as documented by customers and dealerships." This data is being collected and reported directly to Navistar. Osborne stated that employees that work the assembly lines are being offered a "financial" performance incentive to produce to the highest industry standards. Osborne stated that a years’ worth of data has been accumulated which indicate that the highest quality control standards are being met.

Osborne stated that documentation would be made available to the public and that he will on a yearly basis release a quality control report in regard to the production of Navistar RV products. Osborne expects that the highest quality control, fit and finish will be the norm on all Navistar RV products now and in the future.

Osborne stated that legacy parts that were previously used on Monaco Coach LLC RVs as well as early Navistar RVs if unavailable will be sourced by other vendors, manufactured and supplied to the customer. The problem that is evident, is that a number of suppliers that previously supplied parts have gone out of business. Osborne stated that parts availability will not be an issue and that they will meet the demand.

Navistar, Navistar RV and MaxxForce are entirely committed to providing the best powertrain components to the RV customer. All engines currently used in Navistar RVs are either 2010 emission control compliant or compliant via the use of DEP credits. Going forward all MaxxForce engines will need to meet GHG14 which will see the fleet of engines being equipped with industry standard SCR.

Osborne fielded a customer question where a problem was brought up where it appears that the MaxxForce10 engine has a surging problem. Osborne stated that this problem has been identified and resolved and that a new calibration is now available. Osborne stated that customers should get a hold of their International, or Monaco dealership, make an appointment and have the calibration installed. Osborne continued that a new calibration is also under development for the transmission (by June) which will additionally improve on the surging problem as well. It is expected that at the end of the day MaxxForce 10 surging will no longer be a problem. I test drove a MaxxForce 10 engine with the 405 HP rating and I did not experience the surging that was being described.

Osborne stated that he was not a bankruptcy attorney however he explained in laymen's terms that Navistar RV was prevented by the courts from providing warranty services on Monaco Coach RVs. "It's not that we didn't want to provide warranty service" Osborne explained "but we were forbidden by the terms of the bankruptcy and the courts not to do so." Osborne stated that "All bankruptcies are different." Concluding his remarks, Osborne stated that although some other companies did it differently, Navistar RV's hands were tied.

Osborne stated that there isn't anything that would preclude Navistar RV owners from obtaining warranty service today and in the future. He stated that warranty and customer confidence was a key component of the customer satisfaction strategy that Navistar RV has developed.

Osborne stated that they are setting goals to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction by instituting a dealer program called "Platinum Service Centers." The first of these centers is one of our newest sponsors, Alliance Coach of Wildwood, Florida. Osborne stated that they are evaluating other dealerships that may become future Platinum Service Centers. As described, the program is a component of the commitment that Navistar RV has toward unparalleled service for its customers.

Osborne also stated that some dealerships that do not sell Navistar RV products are applying to be a "Tier 2" service center where they would be able to accomplish warranty services on Navistar RV products for those owners that may be remote from a Navistar RV service center.

Although I came into the conference a little late, Osborne in my opinion is on track toward providing Navistar RV owners with the best quality, innovative recreational vehicle designs and unparalleled service centers and parts availability.

The teleconference will be available for re-broadcast, in case you missed it, shortly via a link on the Navistar RV website.

By: Mike Pelchat

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the detailed report Mike, this pretty much confirms what I was thinking was going on with Navistar and Monaco. Glad to hear they are planning on moving forward.

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Thanks for the detailed report Mike, this pretty much confirms what I was thinking was going on with Navistar and Monaco. Glad to hear they are planning on moving forward.
X2
Thanks

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike, I thought it was a very informative call. I came away from it thinking that most of the news was positive...the idea that Navistar would sell the RV division was of no real surprise to me but the conditions for any such sale were set so high that at worst it is a neutral thing for us owners and could very well be a good thing depending on the new owners if the sale were to happen.

I posted a report of the call on my blog as well.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
Mike, I thought it was a very informative call. I came away from it thinking that most of the news was positive...the idea that Navistar would sell the RV division was of no real surprise to me but the conditions for any such sale were set so high that at worst it is a neutral thing for us owners and could very well be a good thing depending on the new owners if the sale were to happen..
I came into the call just after Osborne spoke about a possible sale but I believe that you're right. Navistar has a lot going for it right now, especially cash. In the upcoming 2013 model year, reports are that Navistar expects to return to profitability. If one looks at the coaches that were on display at the RVIA expo in Louisville, they displayed every 2013 product that they make in both Monaco and Holiday Rambler configurations and the front and center display unit was the 2014 Monaco Dynasty.

I thought that the Dynasty was striking. It featured LED treatments in the fascia chevrons and this was very well done and no way over bearing. The LEDs simply highlighted the features. The lighting and grill work blend quite nicely and the rear cap was also very well detailed with a chevron motif and LED tail lighting. There is no mistaking that the Dynasty makes itself known at first look.

I don't think that Navistar would have put the amount of effort that was obvious in the Dynasty just to sell the thing off to someone that would have control over the way the unit looks after the sale. The inside of the coach was as expected, all top shelf and very well appointed. I thought that it was the Belle of the Ball however a towable unit, almost directly across from it, a Holiday Rambler Presidential fifth wheel, did take Best of Show.

The 2014 Dynasty is fitted with the MaxxForce13 engine and it will be equipped with an SCR ATD when released to meet GHG14. Customers for this unit can rest assured that there will be no issues or outstanding questions about emissions. This new Dynasty should carry the name badge very well and be an excellent product for those folks that want to get into this motorcoach.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mike are you saying the new 2014 Diplomats are coming with the MF 13, or did you mean the Dynasty cause that would make the Diplomat even more expensive, requiring a Allison 4000 Tranny.
A nice coach for sure but a lot pricier
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I came into the call just after Osborne spoke about a possible sale but I believe that you're right. Navistar has a lot going for it right now, especially cash. In the upcoming 2013 model year, reports are that Navistar expects to return to profitability. If one looks at the coaches that were on display at the RVIA expo in Louisville, they displayed every 2013 product that they make in both Monaco and Holiday Rambler configurations and the front and center display unit was the 2014 Monaco Diplomat.

I thought that the Diplomat was striking. It featured LED treatments in the fascia chevrons and this was very well done and no way over bearing. The LEDs simply highlighted the features. The lighting and grill work blend quite nicely and the rear cap was also very well detailed with a chevron motif and LED tail lighting. There is no mistaking that the Diplomat makes itself known at first look.

I don't think that Navistar would have put the amount of effort that was obvious in the Diplomat just to sell the thing off to someone that would have control over the way the unit looks after the sale. The inside of the coach was as expected, all top shelf and very well appointed. I thought that it was the Belle of the Ball however a towable unit, almost directly across from it, a Holiday Rambler Presidential fifth wheel, did take Best of Show.

The 2014 Diplomat is fitted with the MaxxForce13 engine and it will be equipped with an SCR ATD when released to meet GHG14. Customers for this unit can rest assured that there will be no issues or outstanding questions about emissions. This new Diplomat should carry the name badge very well and be an excellent product for those folks that want to get into this motorcoach.
I sure hope all the "happy talk" works better this time than all the "happy talk" about AEGR last year. Remember, they lost 2.7 billion last quarter and the cash you mention is all borrowed via a line of credit. Now, I'm pulling for them but I'm looking at their recent track record and it is lacking. The question that I have is do they want in or out of the RV business. I think they want out. For current owners I don't know if that might be a good thing in the end. We will see.
Navistar hopes to return to profit but they have a long way to go and the market place can be cruel. We're talking opportunities lost and damage done.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Mike are you saying the new 2014 Diplomats are coming with the MF 13, or did you mean the Dynasty cause that would make the Diplomat even more expensive, requiring a Allison 4000 Tranny. A nice coach for sure but a lot pricier
I hope I fixed those typos "above" and I apologize. I even zoomed in on the logo on the side wall and still managed to mess it up.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
Navistar hopes to return to profit but they have a long way to go and the market place can be cruel. We're talking opportunities lost and damage done.
According to RV D@aily Report; ""Navistar is forecast to return to profitability in 2013 and we are already seeing early signs of success with our ProStar product moving ahead of schedule," Osborne explained.

Navistar fixed their engine deal by moving into the majority and I expect that they will do well. International trucks as far as I know are pretty good and they should do even better now that the large corporate buyers know that they can have their ISX Cummins back.

Ford borrowed a bunch of money before the debacle with the auto industry, before GM and Chrysler went belly up and they wound up doing well. I think at the end of the day Navistar will still be here and I wish them well.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
According to RV D@aily Report; ""Navistar is forecast to return to profitability in 2013 and we are already seeing early signs of success with our ProStar product moving ahead of schedule," Osborne explained.

Navistar fixed their engine deal by moving into the majority and I expect that they will do well. International trucks as far as I know are pretty good and they should do even better now that the large corporate buyers know that they can have their ISX Cummins back.

Ford borrowed a bunch of money before the debacle with the auto industry, before GM and Chrysler went belly up and they wound up doing well. I think at the end of the day Navistar will still be here and I wish them well.
Come on DriVer, let's stop misleading people. The quote comes from Navistar not RV Daily report. Yes, they hope to become profitable in 2013. Make no mistake, as a Navistar owner I too wish them well but let's call it the way it is. The situation is unlike GM. Navistar made a major bet on their AEGR system that failed to meet compliance standards which resulted in massive self inflicted losses. Navistar's credibility has been greatly damaged and that will be hard to win back. That's just the way it is.
I've stated this earlier, I think they haven't decided if they want to be in the RV business. I think they want out and that is not going to be helpful in the marketplace.
One more thing,what does it say when an engine and truck company has to use someone else's engines just to be on the road.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Come on DriVer, let's stop misleading people. The quote comes from Navistar not RV Daily report. Yes, they hope to become profitable in 2013. Make no mistake, as a Navistar owner I too wish them well but let's call it the way it is. The situation is unlike GM. Navistar made a major bet on their AEGR system that failed to meet compliance standards which resulted in massive self inflicted losses. Navistar's credibility has been greatly damaged and that will be hard to win back. That's just the way it is.
I've stated this earlier, I think they haven't decided if they want to be in the RV business. I think they want out and that is not going to be helpful in the marketplace.
One more thing,what does it say when an engine and truck company has to use someone else's engines just to be on the road.
Dave even the big 3 automakers haven't made there own engines, until Ford recently, they all made deals with other manufactures to get there engines.

Actually by going to a proven Engine they will most likely gain back market share quicker, than if they we're to use one of there own that was still unproven.

This also gives them the time to develope a new engine properly down the road if they want to.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Come on DriVer, let's stop misleading people. The quote comes from Navistar not RV Daily report..
VestaDave, I'm not sure that I can respond adequately. I regret misleading anyone if that's the case. I hope that you will see what was said to RV Daily Report (RVDR) during the Teleconference and I am providing the link to their story ...
Navistar official denies bankruptcy rumors > RV Daily Report |

You can see the quote verbatim in their press. I only sniped it. It was however spoken by Bill Osborne.

The teleconference should be available soon so that we can all review what was said. I have not seen the link published yet but if I find it, I'll let everyone know.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:

Dave even the big 3 automakers haven't made there own engines, until Ford recently, they all made deals with other manufactures to get there engines.

Actually by going to a proven Engine they will most likely gain back market share quicker, than if they we're to use one of there own that was still unproven.

This also gives them the time to develope a new engine properly down the road if they want to.
I guess I'm not making myself clear, this is unlike the big 3 automakers. Yes, Ford used International motors in their trucks and Chrysler uses Cummins etc. Why is it different? It's different because the big 3 make cars and trucks with gas engines. That's their core business. None of the big 3 products have been deemed illegal that I'm aware of.
For Navistar to recover from this mess will take extraordinary management and leadership. Thus far it looks like a rocky road to me. Believe me, as a current owner a successful turnaround would be great.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Vesta is what is known (and other Navistar RV models) as completely vertically integrated. Engine, chassis and coach body are all Navistar products.

This in my opinion this makes for a good outcome in engineering with the ability to control cost from the onset. This is better than any other RV manufacturer out there because none of them can state that they are fully integrated.

Luxury Navistar RV coaches will stray from that model since they will be buying Cummins engines for select brands.

Tags
navistar