Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by two2go:
This size could really benefit from a full-wall slide and maybe an opposing bedroom slide. Better, a purpose-built smaller Class A chassis instead of modifying a milk truck chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Adding more slideout to the unit is actually adding more weight. I don't think that anyone is willing to do that right now.

The Avanti W16D in going to be VIN'ed as a motorhome chassis and not a commercial chassis. The Avanti has a 6 speed Allison, a 40 gallon tank, special shocks, monoleaf with a helper type RV springs, different gearing and the calibration file is designed for RV use.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Continued:

Avanti Gain Favor

A lot of buzz is being stirred about the new Avanti at the PRVCA Show. Just about everyone I spoke to in the Workhorse display was either going to go and see the Avanti or they had already seen it.

I believe that this RV is being released "just in time". Folks are still wanting to go camping and if they can get a RV that will help them do that without incurring the excessive cost for fuel that's what is making the Avanti so attractive. More than anything on the side of the Damon Avanti is the badging, "Fuel Efficient".

The RV'ing population that is wanting to move up from a B, Super B or Class C and even those people that want to move down somewhat because "it's only the 2 of us" are considering the Avanti. Although I can't confirm this I heard that there were orders for 35 of these units. I think that's a good start for this show.

The Avanti goes on to Pomona, CA and then to the Vegas RVDA Show.

The Avanti Command Center

Leather surrounds the driver in the Avanti Cockpit and standard equipment. The leather wrapped Workhorse steering wheel is comfortable to grip and the spoke placement allows for full view of the Instrument panel. The T-Handle shifter on the left arm console features the selection of a mechanical in-line drum parking brake and the Allison 100MH does have a parking pawl.. The driver can shift into any of the selected 4 forward gears and the over drive gears come on automatically. To the right of the position one can see the color LCD faced radio that comes in the Avanti. Although I didn't have time to push all the buttons the display appeared bright and multi functional.

Avanti Dinette and Seating Area.

Leather seating is carried throughout the front of the coach. The dinette is comfortable to sit in and the convertible table can be flipped open to accommodate a person sitting on the opposite couch. The tile floor suggests that it will be easy to keep clean and the color compliments the interior decor quite nicely.

Avanti Galley

The galley area is an L shaped area which has hinged glass covers over both the sink and stove top. The sink is slightly larger than most lavatory sinks and the faucet is a hinged device that folds down into the bowl when the top is closed. Cabinet space is limited however there would appear to be adequate storage room for the conservatively minded RV'er.

Looking Toward the Bedroom

Most unusual is the use of space in this 32 foot long RV. The bed is elevated on a pedestal which will require a 2 step process to get in bed. The construction feature allows for a huge external storage bay which runs along the back wall and under the head of the bed. Although I didn't explore all the spaces the shower enclosure is on the right side and the toilet is on the left side as you enter the sleeping area. There is also a drop down bed forward in the coach over the living area. This small motorcoach keeps up the tradition of being able to sleep more than 2 people. Located to the right side as you enter the bedroom area is a fold down LCD TV which is mounted to the ceiling.

Although this coach may not meet the needs for a full timer or a more conventional RV'ers that does need to bring it all with them, the Avanti will offer folks a small, comfortable riding, highly maneuverable and fuel efficient vehicle. If anything in a Class A motorhome can approach being "Green" this one has make a BIG stop in the right direction.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DriVer;

Thanks for the pictures. You did good. Hopefully Bev & I will be seeing you and Coleen in less than 3 weeks. I increased the cookie order do a good turn out for the rally.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Petro:
I increased the cookie order do a good turn out for the rally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don, Would you believe at minimum, 178 people. Dat's a lot of cookies.

Now try and get those folks up in the morning for early coffee and cookies and I*m thinking that it whittles that pile down to about 30 or so persons. Who knows?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #19

Driver,

Beautiful pictures! When I firts saw the specs of the Avanti, I found them very close to my own Airstream Land Yacht 30. The Avanti may not be the RV for a full timer but it will be a super coach for those do travel a lot. I did the grand coastal tour of Mexico twice with people in Class B RVs and they survived wery well! In Europe, they build beautifull Class A. Do a search on the Net using "camping car" and look at the "integral" as the class A are called overthere. It will be interesting to see who else will use this chassis. Look how the Sprinter cab and chassis is used by a lot of RV manufacturers.

48remi
Airstream L/Y 30 + 2006 Vibe
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 48remi:
Beautiful pictures! When I first saw the specs of the Avanti, I found them very close to my own Airstream Land Yacht 30. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>48remi, That's exactly what I was thinking. The body style and size is very reminiscent of the Land Yacht. I think it's a good thing that an OEM chose to revive that part of the RV market. The public at the PRVCA took to it well.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 AM   #21

Nice looking coach... I wonder with the 16,000 chassis and obviously extended frame with the large storage at the very rear of the coach, how the coach will handle loaded. Any information on wheelbase, carrying capacity, etc.?

Denny
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennyM:
Any information on wheelbase, carrying capacity, etc.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Denny, This is the best I can do for you at the present time:

2009 Damon Avanti

Requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader.

enjoy .....
Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #23

One big mistake they made on this coach is that rounded queen mattress. A short queen is bad enough but with rounded corners if you are over 5' 11" good luck. It will also be expensive to replace which is the first thing I did on my coach. They should have made it 6" longer and used a standard short queen.

Sam
Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricaner:
One big mistake they made on this coach is that rounded queen mattress. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sam, The rounded corners make the access to the bedside somewhat easier.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Very nice coach, lots of great ideas. I will wait to see how that engine works out. I'm not so sure it's up to the task.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sam, The rounded corners make the access to the bedside somewhat easier </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, but it also makes the bed smaller. Besides that, it makes the mattress very expensive to replace and RV mattresses are not known for there quality.

Sam
Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricaner:
... RV mattresses are not known for their quality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sam, You got that right. Our 1st coach upgrade was our mattress! It was easy to buy - we just walked into our local mattress store and bought a 60x80 and we were good to go!

The new mattress had to meet a maximum height requirement as it has to slip under a counter top (when the slide out is retracted) in our bedroom but that was no problem since the original mattress was so thin.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
New Avanti A Hit At Hershey!

The new Damon Avanti motor home built on the Workhorse W16D diesel chassis was the talk of the Pennsylvania RV and Camping Show recently in Hershey, Pa. RV dealers are viewing the new fuel-efficient motor home this week at the RVDA Convention in Las Vegas.

A number of orders were taken for the new Avanti – W16D pairing, which is expected to achieve up to 70 percent better fuel economy than competing Class A motor homes. At 31 ˝ feet and 16,000 lb. GVWR, the sleek, aerodynamic, low-to-the-ground design, complemented by interior nautical styling and oodles of storage space, had both consumers and dealers saying, "this is just what the RV industry needs right now."

A few of the comments from Hershey:

"I think this is what RVing in a motor home is going to now with fuel prices going crazy" – Joann from New Hampshire.

"Leave it up to Workhorse to be the first ones with a solution for a Class A with good fuel economy" – Tim from Long Island.

"The response has been excellent, a steady stream of folks came through to see the Avanti"..."The reactions are really positive and people are really impressed." "” Kevin, Damon Sales

The crowd overflowed at the official launch party on Wednesday at the Damon booth, and both Damon at Workhorse had steady booth traffic every day from people wanting to know more about the Avanti and the Workhorse chassis. Attending media were quick to feature it in their reports, including a segment filmed for Home & Garden TV.

"We were thrilled with the response," said Bill Walmsley, director of RV marketing and product planning for Workhorse. "People are ready for something like this. A lot of folks told me they came to the show just to see this coach. We're looking forward to talking to more RV dealers about it at the RVDA Convention."

Damon has the Avanti on display at the RVDA event, Booth 1114, and Workhorse has more information on the W16D chassis at its booth, No. 225. Workhorse information includes the introduction of the MaxxForce™ 5 diesel engine as a new motor home powerplant. The MaxxForce 5 is a small V6 (4.5L) that has achieved outstanding results in fuel-efficiency tests.

Click here for all the details about the new diesel engine on the RV block that brings a new level of economical power to the motor home experience....only with a Workhorse chassis!

Orders for the Damon Avanti are being taken now and production is set to begin in October. See www.damonrv.com or www.workhorse.com for complete information or call a Damon sales representative at 800-860-5658, extension 3654.

Workhorse and Damon are bringing you the future of RVing now, so come and take a look!