Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bob, I think the shape of the new Rexhall is even more aerodynamically shaped.
CHUCK: That may be true, but the Damon is apparently "more" aerodynamic due to its lower, narrower profile. I can't comment about the additional "drag" the Damon may have because of the awning NOT being recessed like it is on the Rexhall. Having seen the Rexhall, I can tell you there is nothing "small" about it! ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Avanti flyer mentions 1/12 and full scale models, but doesn't mention a wind tunnel. If it ever did see one, it sure would be neat to know the numbers. Same for the Rexhall. Looks don't count for much, numbers do.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thing looks good but for that much $$, it better.
Since the Powerstroke claims 350HP and 650 lbs of torque I doubt if this would be a good mountain climber.
Instead of having those 'drive the new MH' events back east where engines have the 'easy' life, they should have one out here so we could test it going up and down I-70.

Ford charges about $6,000 extra for a powerstroke over a V-10 in a PU so it sure seems they are charging a lot for these new little diesels.
I was interested in the View til I realized how much they wanted for theirs and how little mine was worth.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by ricere:
Off Topic (for a moment) We're at the South 40 this evening passing through!

Lots of folks like drop down bunks and it's one of the features that keeps folks buying "Treks". I think this product could move laterally over to Monaco in the Trek line as well - drop down bunks and all.

I'm in your corner however - give me room lots of room under starry skies above ....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by max49:
Instead of having those 'drive the new MH' events back east where engines have the 'easy' life, they should have one out here so we could test it going up and down I-70.
Max, Some folks need Mountain Goats while others need Camels. Although the I-70 up to the Eisenhower Tunnel is a test for any and all comers not everyone wants or needs a Mountain Goat.

Performance
A proven, two-staged, dual turbocharging system features a small turbo to provide quick low-speed response and a second, larger turbo to provide power at higher rpm and altitudes.

The horsepower band stays constant at 200 hp from 2,700 rpm to 3,000 rpm to provide great road speed and hill-climbing performance.

Four valves per cylinder make it easier for the engine to breathe.

The International® Electro-Hydraulic Generation Two (G2) fuel injector system delivers higher injection pressures with precise control to optimize performance, fuel economy and emissions.

That said I think the MF5 should do just fine on that grade given the vehicle it's powering. 16K isn't a lot of machine for that motor and it should haul the load pretty well I'm betting. I hope to drive one this up coming week in Hershey.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #33

Quote:
This thing looks good but for that much $$, it better.
MAX49: You seem to believe that $140K is a lot for a new motorhome. I agree that is a lot of money, however, perhaps you have not visited a dealer's lot lately.......there isn't much out there today with a diesel engine and an MSRP below $140,000.

The entry level Tiffin Allegro on a FRED is in that same range. Others here are comparing this Damon Avanti to the new Rexhall which has a similar look. The Rexhall is much larger (taller and wider) and has an MSRP in the $190,000.00 range for a GAS UFO.

I'm guessing a significant reason for "high" priced diesel motorhomes is the added expense for components required to meet the 2007 emmisions that all diesels must meet, regardless of engine size.

I'm still shopping for a gasser! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not putting that MH down, I'd love to have a MH like that, that gets an honest 12 to 15 MPG. I hope that little engine is not underpowered, but I do live in Co.
What bothers me, is I'm not that 'well to do'. I paid 65K for my Damon Daybreak with one large slide. It's already more MH than I need , but it's nice where I can fit it.
I and all my friends who don't know MH's say "Why did'nt you get a diesel? They're only 5 or 6 K more".
We know that's wrong, probably 50K more.
Maybe it's the body buiders fault or maybe the diesel mfgrs are just plain stingy with them and won't sell them to the MH builders.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'll just stay with what I have for a while longer and see how things shake out. Gas prices had just started to get better, now we have two storms in the Gulf and gas has gone up 20 cents here in the last two days. The situation is just too varibile for me to think about spending money on much of anything.
davebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just bought a new motorhome and wish that something like the Avanti had been available. $140k MSRP would translate to perhaps $110k +/- in the real world? That's in line with other just-above-entry level gas motorhomes, and quite cheap for a diesel as others have pointed out.

It strikes me that they're aiming at a somewhat different audience with the Avanti - those who care about design and are willing to pay more for it. Today, that demographic also wants to be perceived as being "green." Lots of people buy a Prius because it advertises "I'm Green!" and not because they want a small hatchback. The target market is probably an urban couple in their 30s and 40s traveling without kids, just like us.

The outside is stylish; I'll be interested to see the inside. In most of the Class A motorhomes we looked at our in our recent search the interiors hurt our eyes. The Class C's built on a Sprinter Chassis are Euro-style but too small for us. As it was we bought one of the least frumpy motorhomes we could find given all our other requirements, which included a Workhorse chassis. The Winnebago Sightseer is the only Class A that even tries to look "Euro" in the price range we were considering, which is the same price range for this new coach from Damon.

As others have said, perhaps Damon's efforts will inspire other manufacturers to try lower, lighter and better-designed motorhomes as an option. They will never replace larger motorhomes but may create a niche and perhaps attract new buyers.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
******Damon Avanti***********VS Winnebago View

Length 31'6" --------------------------- 24'6"
Height 10'11" ------------------------- 10'11"
Width 94" ------------------------------ 90"
Fuel Cap. 40.0 Ga -----------------------26.4 Ga
GVWR 16K ---------------------------- 11,030
GCWR ? ----------------------------- 15,250
Whl Base 190" ------------------------------170"
Slides one ------------------------------ one
HP 200 ------------------------------ 154
Torque 440 -------------------------------- ?
MSRP $140K ------------------------------95K $
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #38

FWIW, the View V6 has no problem with I-70 from Vail to Denver, and back - nor with Independence Pass, either direction (try taking your Avanti there - they'll arrest you) - nor with the road from Steamboat to Boulder, through the Park. It will more than keep up with the semis - and most motorhomes are in its way. FWIW, our "Mountain Goat" travels yielded better fuel economy than flat interstate driving . . . 16+ as opposed to about 14 at a 65 cruise.

Complain about what you wish with the View - but the powertrain is NOT a problem. If you want to know why they are expensive, do a bit of research on the chassis manufacturers' webpages instead of attacking the bulders. An E-450 CC is about $20K cheaper than a Sprinter 3500 CC. Even with a diesel.

The Sprinter chassis is also head and shoulders above the E450 in structural rigidity, ride comfort, and general civility. Before you knock a View, drive one. I didn't buy the first thing I saw, by a long shot. I could have had a 31' Class C gas for $25K less - if I had been willing to settle for it.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote