Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Workhorse chassis helps boost fuel efficiency by up to 70 percent!

All-new Damon coach first to use fuel-saving diesel chassis

August 26, 2008 Hershey, PA -- The first significant answer to the market need for better fuel economy with Class A motor homes will be launched at the annual Pennsylvania RV and Camping Show in Hershey, Pa., Sept. 10 to 14 at the HERSHEYPARK® Entertainment Complex – GIANT CenterSM.

The show will introduce all-new Avanti (which means "forward" in Italian) from Damon Motor Coach (Booth 513), the first motor home to be built on the W16D front-engine diesel platform from Workhorse Custom Chassis. The W16D is a 16,000 lb. GVWR diesel-powered chassis that is both lower and narrower than traditional class A motor home chassis, enabling lower, sleeker motor home body designs.

The initial Avanti model is 31 ½ feet long and designed to be a more fuel efficient and easier-to-drive Class A motor home. Combining a sleek, low-to-the-ground, aerodynamic design with the re-engineered Workhorse chassis, the Avanti is expected to achieve up to 70 percent better fuel economy than comparable Class A motor homes, based on internal test results.

In addition, Vice President of Avanti Sales Matt Thompson describes the Avanti's drivability as "awesome." The Avanti's coach is nearly 12 inches closer to the ground than any other Class A motor home and is six inches narrower. The low center of gravity, combined with the excellent ride and handling of the Workhorse chassis, gives it "an automotive feel," said Thompson. "I think people will find it fun to drive. Certainly not like any other Class A."

The RV-enhanced W16D chassis marks the latest in a series of chassis firsts from Workhorse that have multiplied motor home choices for consumers over the past decade.

The W16D also marks the first appearance of the MaxxForce™ 5 V6 diesel engine from Navistar International Corporation in a motor home. The MaxxForce 5 is mated to an Allison 1000 Series transmission and produces 200 horsepower and 440 ft.-lbs. of torque. Other key W16D features that enhance the drivability and manageability of the motor home include high-performance Brembo 4-wheel disc brakes, 50-degree wheel cut and electronic instrument cluster with full instrumentation and information center.

Leading edge technology makes the MaxxForce 5 a "clean diesel" engine that improves both emission levels and fuel efficiency. That and the relatively light weight of the Workhorse chassis both contribute to the Avanti's fuel economy and payload capacity.

That capacity means the Avanti can put diesel class storage and amenities into a smaller motor home, enabling owners of larger motor homes to conveniently downsize. Thompson calls the storage space on the Avanti "phenomenal." "Our 31 1/2-foot model has as much storage than a comparable 37-foot coach," he said. "We worked hard to utilize every square inch."

A walk-around queen bed, split bath layout, large screen TV and curvaceous nautical interior styling are some of the diesel-class luxury and amenities packed in the coach, making it "a great choice for both a first-time buyer or an experienced RVer looking to drive something a little 'greener' but with the storage and amenities they're used to," said Thompson. "They still have the interior space advantages of a Class A, but in the size of a Class C (motor home with a separate van cab compartment) and with better fuel economy than many Class Cs."

Workhorse plans to develop more fuel-efficient chassis technology in the near future. "Our work with Damon on this project is typical of how we respond to manufacturer and market needs," said Tony Monda, vice president of marketing and product planning for Workhorse. "We see ourselves as the customer's advocate in the RV industry, and that means being proactive in developing new answers for new challenges."

- - - END - - -
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #2

Quote:
"We see ourselves as the customer's advocate in the RV industry, and that means being proactive in developing new answers for new challenges."
This new product tells me that the folks at WCC spend more time working with their customers than sitting around crying "woe is me" about the current industry climate. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
MAXXFORCE 5

Big performance in a small package.

For owners, drivers and maintainers, the MaxxForce™ 5 delivers big performance in a small package. Built on International's V6 engine platform, the MaxxForce 5 features four valves per cylinder, the International® Electro-Hydraulic G2 fuel injection system, an upgraded intake throttle, two-stage turbocharger, cooled EGR and enhanced electronics to deliver outstanding reliability, fuel economy and emissions control. Top-mounted fuel and oil filters provide easy access for increased uptime and reduced operating costs. Fully compliant with 2007 EPA emissions standards, it will power Class 4 and Class 5 commercial trucks with 200 horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque.

Come and kick the tires on the new W16D at the PRVCA Show in Hershey PA. Please drop in at the "Workhorse Display" and I'll walk ya through it.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 AM   #4

I don't know, $140K is a lot of money for 32' of coach. That's almost $30K more than mine was (OK 5 years ago - but still). And only 16,000 GVW. I wonder how much the chassis costs compared to something simlar with gas, say a W18? Probably a better comparison that my 5 year old number in my head.

RV Business has an article with a picture. Think early 90's anything with full body paint.

(For those who can get there:RV Business article)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
RV Business
Monday, August 25, 2008

In one of the more anticipated new product offerings of the 2009 model year, Damon Motor Coach is preparing to release its European-inspired 32-foot Avanti front-engine diesel Class A motorhome, according to the company. Built on a 16,000-pound GVWR Workhorse W-16D chassis – a modified version of the Workhorse W-42 commercial truck chassis that allows a lower center of gravity to reduce wind resistance – Avanti is powered by a 200-hp International Max Force diesel engine and is expected to get about 14.5 mpg. "We wanted to create an automotive feel behind the wheel,"¯ said Bill Fenech, president of the Elkhart, Ind., Thor Industries Inc. subsidiary. With a single slideout and 6 feet 6 inches of headroom, Avanti's overall height is just under 11 feet, which creates a relatively low-slung profile similar to European coaches and reminiscent of those built in the U.S. three decades ago. "It's a throwback,"¯ said Matt Thompson, vice president of Avanti sales. "Those coaches were so far ahead of their time."¯ The Avanti's main advantage is the fuel mileage it provides, according to Damon. "Everyone's talking about fuel economy,"¯ Thompson said. "This is the highest fuel-mileage Class A in the industry."¯ The W-16D chassis features modifications made specifically for the Avanti. With a yacht-like interior and sloped front end, Avanti features a bunk system that drops down from the over-the-driver compartment. Damon expects to introduce a well-equipped Avanti with an MSRP under $140,000 to the retail public at the Pennsylvania RV and Camping Show Sept. 8-14 in Hershey, Pa.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #6

There we go, why didn't I think of that?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back to the Future...

The GMC, FMC and the Coronada (and a few others)were all smaller, low profile motorhomes...well ahead of their time. We have to get hit in the head to get anyones attention when it comes to energy conservation.

Sure glad to see the suppliers react to smaller nice units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would anyone put a noisy des in front. I sat in the cab of a fred that was running and for my money I would rather have that noise in the back. IMO.... safe travels
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #9

jdsr--have you ever sat in a new diesel Mercedes auto while the engine is running ? They're very quiet, therefore quiet is possible in a front diesel.
wazone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Ford Power Stroke Diesel engine, actually a MaxxForce7 engine is very quiet in a pickup truck. I'm thinking the MF5 will be just as quiet if not more so because it's a smaller engine. We'll see for sure by next week and I'll report on that to you as soon as I hear one for myself.

Smaller front engine RV chassis like the Sprinter and now the W-16D I believe will offer the buying public more options for "Shorter WB RVs" and "Better MPGs".
Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well your comparing a new mercedes car to a mh. IMO Not apples to apples. You can also sit in any newer car and truck with a gas engine and you would never know the engine is running. Not so with a gas mh much less a diesel. Not trying to argue but like I said I have been in one and I thought it was noisy. I believe a winn was the box but Im not sure because as soon as the saleman cranked it up I left. Again just not for me but some of you folks might love em
Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #12

This forum is for Workhorse Gassers, or so I thought. We are driving GM powered rigs. Perhaps a Workhorse D forum is possible. How about it, moderators?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by TandW:
You may want to take a look at the forum description. It's been pretty much the same all along for the past 3 or so years. We have been adding new products to the description as they come to market.

Workhorse Custom Chassis Motorhome Forum
This forum is sponsored by Workhorse Custom Chassis and contains discussions related to UFO, P, W, GM/WCC Class C , R-Series and W-16D Workhorse products.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
This forum is for Workhorse Gassers, or so I thought
TandW; FYI, actually this thread was started in the forum called RV Industry news (up above) and was "shortcut" to the Workhorse Chassis forum. Often our members do not realize the shortcut exists, but they allow better exposure when the topic may be of interest in more than one forum. You can tell if a topic has been shortcut by the addition of the "Related content" line above the first post in each of the forums that are linked together by the shortcut. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote