Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #15

Mike, if only Ford would build rear gas powered chassis like the UFO I believe they would still have an edge up on the competition, can't understand whey they refuse to pursue such a chassis modification, oh well!!!!

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I hope they are successful, but they are a start up company with no brand recognition competing with 2 of the most well know chassis manufacturers.

If that pesky Spartan wasn't entering the gasser market, they would be in a much stronger position.

If their product is a standout with a good price point, they may be successful.

First, they have to get the MH manufacturers to build on their chassis before they can get public acceptance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Dirk, You maybe right but the lead engineer comes with credentials. He's the father of Tiffin's proprietary chassis and the guy that made the Tiffin Breeze a working product.

I'm sure that the American Chassis guys are going into this knowing their competition & more importantly their market.

Opinion?

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, front engine diesels and rear engine gassers have never sold well enough to keep producing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Mike, if only Ford would build rear gas powered chassis like the UFO I believe they would still have an edge up on the competition, can't understand whey they refuse to pursue such a chassis modification, oh well!!!!

Jim

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I presume that was a typo in the Apex #2 pdf, ie, diesel generator on a gas engine chassis.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
I presume that was a typo in the Apex #2 pdf, ie, diesel generator on a gas engine chassis.
...or, how about the 23,500 Lb. GVWR a 26,000 Lb. GCWR and a 10,000 Lb. trailer hitch...why? ...or, the 19.5 tires and the 23,500 Lb. GVWR..a bit whimpy?

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the 6.0 litre gas engine, 19.5 tires and a 5.13 gear in the rear end, it will be spinning up pretty good RPMs at cruising speed. I Wonder why the 19.5 tires with a GVWR of 23.5K, seems like 22.5 tires would be a better choice.

Nice, but I would question the need for a 10K hitch with a 6.0 gas engine.

Wonder why it will come equipped with an Onan 3.5 DIESEL generator. Is this a misprint, or will it come with an additional fuel tank. Would also question the KW rating, as it seems inadequate.

Electronic Park Brake???

I too wish them success in their endever, however not really impressive to me.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Jim, The UFO approached the pricing level of a Tiffin RED and others in the 28K GVWR rating ... When folks are looking at the price difference and air ride and brakes sometimes the little bump is not enough to upset the apple cart and they'll go with the air and diesel.

The R-26 UFO was expensive and that's why Workhorse created the R-22 which stripped out a lot of bells and whistles from the R-26 but nobody bought into the R-22.

IF Ford did build a rear gasoline pusher you have to ask yourself, who would they be competing against? The answer is quite simply themselves and that dog just won't hunt.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
If their product is a standout with a good price point, they may be successful. First, they have to get the MH manufacturers to build on their chassis before they can get public acceptance.
... and BINGO is his Name-O
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
pkmesser, Nope. Custom Chassis companies can get away with that for example in some diesel applications you will find LP generators. I think the price vs the benefit of a diesel generator in a gasoline powered vehilce wouldn't work. it wouldn't work for me I don't expect.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
...or, how about the 23,500 Lb. GVWR a 26,000 Lb. GCWR and a 10,000 Lb. trailer hitch...why? ...or, the 19.5 tires and the 23,500 Lb. GVWR..a bit whimpy?
Fran, Not sure where you're going with the comment however they could choose to upgrade the tires to any load range they need. A set of Michelin XRV in a load range G could carry at maximum inflation, 29,630 pounds. Would I do that, probably not anytime soon.

23,500 GVWR pounds for a 33 foot motorhome is far from whimpy? Help me out here?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
With the 6.0 litre gas engine, 19.5 tires and a 5.13 gear in the rear end, it will be spinning up pretty good RPMs at cruising speed. I Wonder why the 19.5 tires with a GVWR of 23.5K, seems like 22.5 tires would be a better choice.
I think so too.

Quote:
Nice, but I would question the need for a 10K hitch with a 6.0 gas engine.
Remember Archimedes gears is levers. A 10K rated hitch I expect is not something that I would see as being usuable however it will be robust.

Quote:
Wonder why it will come equipped with an Onan 3.5 DIESEL generator. Is this a misprint, or will it come with an additional fuel tank. Would also question the KW rating, as it seems inadequate.
dieselclacker, How many OEMs do you know, buy a generator set from a chassis supplier .... ... short answer not very many if any. The OEM can get a better price buying dirrect so I don't expect they would take delivery of a gen as a chassis SKU but I guess American just wants to leave the door open.

Quote:
Electronic Park Brake???
In my opinion; "SAHR Drive-line brakes were developed as replacement for manually operated lever applied "drive-line" brakes on class 6 and 7 vehicles. Mounted to the frame rail, the actuator utilizes a cable to apply parking force to a drum mounted on the drive-line. An optional electronic "travel" sensor provides the operator with information pertaining to the position of the push-rod, "applied" or "released". This is the same kind of parking brake that we saw on the UFO. The HPB system typically has this type of parking brake equipment. What might be happening here is that the 2100 transmission with push button shift does not have a parking pawl.

Quote:
I too wish them success in their endever, however not really impressive to me.
I think they could do well in their market segment if they get customers.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post

I'm not so sure the taller tires would be better. Those LS engines MUST turn higher RPM to make required power. It just the way they are.
Quite the opposite of the old big block engines.

I do see customers used to babying a BBC down the highway or climbing tall hills/mountains trying to doing the same with a LS engine and he won't understand why the motor doesn't perform like he wants.
As long as that trans can't be forced to upshift early it might work.
Better yeat might be PLENTY of sound deadning isulation and NO tach on the dash.

A 10K hitch is great for many people who might want to pull a longer trailer with say a built Jeep And smart car.
Also I have seen a few picsof these 5K hitches bent closer to verticle because it gought hit the ground in a dip. A 10K wouldn't fold so easy.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Jim, The UFO approached the pricing level of a Tiffin RED and others in the 28K GVWR rating ... When folks are looking at the price difference and air ride and brakes sometimes the little bump is not enough to upset the apple cart and they'll go with the air and diesel.

The R-26 UFO was expensive and that's why Workhorse created the R-22 which stripped out a lot of bells and whistles from the R-26 but nobody bought into the R-22.

IF Ford did build a rear gasoline pusher you have to ask yourself, who would they be competing against? The answer is quite simply themselves and that dog just won't hunt.
Your explanation makes sense Mike, thanks..

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Fran, Not sure where you're going with the comment however they could choose to upgrade the tires to any load range they need. A set of Michelin XRV in a load range G could carry at maximum inflation, 29,630 pounds. Would I do that, probably not anytime soon.

23,500 GVWR pounds for a 33 foot motorhome is far from whimpy? Help me out here?
DriVer, I guess I'm in the same camp as the post after mine by Dieselclacker.

Fran

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, gas