Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just found 2 more serious defects bringing the grand total missed by the highly touted Gold Star team to 39. The last two showed up while running wires to install a trailer brake controller that one might think would have been pre wired. The first was 3 missing bolts out of 6 in the left front leveling jack. (This just seems incredible considering they did the brake caliper recall and had to have noticed this). The second was a main air duct under the dash that was broken wide open.They used two different types of duct material, one a tuff plastic and the one that was split open was a cheaper flimsy vinyl. I saw the same inconsistency in the heating ducts that were kinked. Also the cheap foam tape used to seal the window in the coach door was dried out and leaked when I washed it. I removed this window and properly resealed it. Please be reminded that when these windows leak it can and will soak the luan plywood that is laminated to the outer fiberglass shell and compromise the bond leading to the dreaded bubbles. THIS ALL IN A COACH THAT WAS NEW IN FEBRUARY 2011 AND HAS BEEN ON ONE 600 MILE OUTING! I do want to add that I have not found one issue with the Workhorse chassis other then being low oil in all three places. Auto makers have been doing this forever, I remember working in a Buick garage as a teenager about a hundred years ago and every new car came in a quart low. I guess they figure it adds up in volume and the dealer will catch it. I think it says a lot about a dealer & mfg. when they present you with a coach with a MSRP of 150 K and it is low on oil and has 39 other defects, some safety related ( like propane regulator that was loose and leaking, a headlight that had never worked because of a faulty plug, a dead taillight & 2 driving lights that were dangling loose) and all important, I left out the niggeling ones you come to expect.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #30

Hmmmm....was going to look at a Tuscany. Going to rethink that. Sorry to hear about all the troubles. I hope you get them worked out and thanks for sharing.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #31

Post-build inspections don't do the job. A perfectly made Ford Pinto is still a crappy car. Quality has to be designed in to the product, not pasted on afterwards.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Post-build inspections don't do the job. A perfectly made Ford Pinto is still a crappy car. Quality has to be designed in to the product, not pasted on afterwards.
I absolutely agree with you on that but I do need to say that this coach was designed extremely well and most of the components are of very good quality (standard counter tops excluded). It's just that there was no quality control to verify that final assembly was done in a good workmanship like manner. The main components were fine, but obviously the workers were not conscientious enough to work without being supervised and double checked by a good QC team. Most of my problems were just plain bad workmanship by someone who didn't care enough to do it right! Or maybe they were just on drugs!

I am also a perfectionist and will not go down the road until I am confident that my ride is safe and as trouble free as I can make it. Even with that attitude I have spent a good deal of time crawling around under RV's parked along the road in the middle of nowhere, that is not my idea of a good place to trouble shoot problems. I would also add that even a cursory check by a good dealer prep would have caught many of these issues. In my case the dealer prep team was totally incompetent and I would not have allowed them to work on it anyway. This brings up the fact that many of us have in that the dealer is 200 miles round trip from my home and it would be impractical and expensive to have taken it back multiple times even if they had been competent. Since I have the knowledge and ability to do this kind of work and gave up my real life when I retired, I actually like to DIMS and know it's done right. This because cost and time means nothing to me now, I can spend all day on an oil change or writing this post

Just my thoughts!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I was just thinking -- since the program was implemented in February, and your coach was new in February, is it possible that it just missed being a part of their Gold Star program? The timeline seems like it could be very close. From all you've experienced, it sure sounds like it missed their window...

It is really helpful hearing about all your experiences and I greatly thank you for taking all the time to write them!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach was built in mid 2010 so yes it did miss the window and the windows were missed as well. I was just recently at dealer lot looking at the same model for reference and noticed the poor condition the unit was being show in, when I asked if it was used they said no it just came in and they don't bother to clean them up until they are sold. So there you have it, the world has turned upside down! Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
And we pay serious $$$ for these things too! Go figure!

Hopefully you have the bulk of the issues behind you now -- for good!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #36

Just got back from two weekend trips. For the very first time, I'm coming back with nothing for the dealer. Yeah, I need to buy a new nylon plug for the water heater, but that's just maintenance. We even washed the unit when we got back, and low and behold, everything inside was dry! The levelers leveled, the slides slid, the appliances - well - applied, and the drains drained.

Hang in there - the design is VERY good and when things work, they work very well.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #37

PS. A year ago our service tech (a GREAT guy at Colorado Springs Camping World named [appropriately] 'Diesel') said not to worry - in a year we would love it. And here it is exactly a year later. Go figure.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations COSerrano, so happy to hear that! I know we are close as well and will be getting out of the heat and smoke in a bit over a week for a long extended trip and expect to have the same results. I hope I have compressed that year into 4 months. If we are ever in the Colorado Springs area and have a problem I have made note to remember your dealer. I actually talked to them when we were shopping for an RV but decided they were a bit far from home. Take care and travel safe. I hope I am done posting on this thread!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry everyone but had to make one more post. Today exactly 4 months from the day we picked up our coach I received my first correspondence from Thor thanking me for buying their coach and including a questionnaire on how we were treated by their concierge and the dealer. If there is a concierge we sure never heard from them. My response I will leave up to your imagination!

"The best trade I ever made, I got a dog for my kid"
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very upset wife Thor Serrano

Hi...my first time...WHAT GOLD STANDARD? We have just bought brand new 2011 Serrano and are still making a list of wrong things! Probably most would not exist if anyone had bothered checking. when we call Thor they are super nice but they don't actually make any thing happen, they keep saying "call your dealer" and we do but, no one ever returns phone calls (the few times we got someone it just seems to get worse) !!!GRRRRRR
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Gordo View Post
Hi...my first time...WHAT GOLD STANDARD? We have just bought brand new 2011 Serrano and are still making a list of wrong things! Probably most would not exist if anyone had bothered checking. when we call Thor they are super nice but they don't actually make any thing happen, they keep saying "call your dealer" and we do but, no one ever returns phone calls (the few times we got someone it just seems to get worse) !!!GRRRRRR
Welcome to the club, keep your cool it's going to take some time but hopefully when we get through it we will all be happy campers. Get your factory contact to recommend another dealer to deal with your problems. We have been asked to take our unit to southern California to a repair center to resolve our remaining issues. This is a 12 hour drive each way and at my cost. They did say they would do whatever it takes to make me happy, even fix the messes the dealer made. This after I sent the questionnaire and complaints directly to the CEO of Four Winds. I also find it incredible that we have to go through this while they put out these press releases about all the great service they are providing but what's the choice. I don't know about you but I am getting to old for this crap and I get a little bitchy after being screwed...............We still like the coach and think the chassis is going to be great . We are leaving on an extended trip after the fourth and will find out if I have uncovered all the problems then maybe we will have to make that trip to CA. I know you have to expect some problems with a new coach, these are complex contraptions and none are perfect no matter how hard they try but the kind & quantity of stuff were finding is just inexcusable on any level. The good thing is that most are not all that serious and can be fixed so hang in there.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkm1201 View Post
We are downsizing from a beautiful Vintage 40ft. Vogue Diesel pusher. We get 10mpg towing an Element.
We've looked at the Serrano, the Tiffin Breeze and would love to see the Monaco Vesta. The Serrano and the Breeze are not too far apart in price and the Monaco Vesta is a good 40K more. We love the outside/inside storage and floorplan in the Serrano but are concerned with Quality Control issues. We love the quality of the Breeze but there doesn't seem to be enough storage. I'm assuming Vesta is a quality rig but have heard it's a heavier rig with maybe not enough power and low mpg.
Any thoughts guys? It seems like mostly guys are on these posts but i'm the one with time to do the research and report in to the currently employed husband.
We looked at a Vesta at the Albany OR FMCA rally, my wife commented that it looked cheap and I had to agree. Wasn't anything we'd look at to buy.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote