Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #57

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSerrano View Post

Here's the part that Thor doesn't seem to get: It would have been a LOT cheaper for them to just do all this stuff at the factory. Instead, they are paying the dealer to do all this and I know what their shop rate is.
The factory doesn't pay the shop rate.
But it still is better to do it right the first time!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #58

So, with all the above posts I have to ask:

What good is the Gold Star Inspection Program? It hasn't done anything for me and it sounds like not much for other new owners.

It would be interesting if a Thor rep read this thread and provided some insight, but I don't think they really care what the people think, as long as the dealers keep ordering rigs....

Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #59
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot9000 View Post
It would be interesting if a Thor rep read this thread and provided some insight, but I don't think they really care what the people think, as long as the dealers keep ordering rigs....
Robot9000, Put yourself in the shoes of the corporate rep and ask yourself; Do I really want to respond to this invitation?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #60

Just read the 5 pages because we pick up the used 2011 31x tomorrow. It has 6000mi so I figure that many of the nasties have been taken care of. I found a couple during the extensive test drive and look around , and with these pages I will be vigilant. Seems that future buyers could use this as a guide. Thanks to the pioneers who traveled before me.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Just read the 5 pages because we pick up the used 2011 31x tomorrow. It has 6000mi so I figure that many of the nasties have been taken care of. I found a couple during the extensive test drive and look around , and with these pages I will be vigilant. Seems that future buyers could use this as a guide. Thanks to the pioneers who traveled before me.
I wish you the best. We just ended a 3 month trip in our 31V and had no problems at all with the coach. We spent about 45 days full timing in it and the rest traveling from Tucson up through Salt Lake and over to Flaming Gorge, then bounced around through the rest of the Rockies to stay cool. We averaged around 11mpg and this was going uphill both ways and loaded to the max with a 500 lb scooter on the back. The unit has incredible storage and we used it all. It was as comfortable to travel and live in as any RV we have owned and better then most. The pusher we had was much bigger and had a dishwasher and washer/dryer but no fun to drive. It did not have any more storage and the seating was no more comfortable after a few hours either. This trip almost made me forget the hours I had to spend reassembling it but I will never forgive the Mfg. for installing the absolute garbage countertops that I still have to deal with and look at every time I use the sink.
If you have these tops find a way to provide a water seal under the sink rims to prevent the sharp rim of the sinks from cutting through the painted on surface and allowing the sub-straight to absorb water as it will cause a lot of damage in short order. Replacing the tops is causing me a lot of sleepless nights even if the factory pays for it. We are considering every option to avoid that, as these cabinets were pre-built and installed as a unit.
Would I purchase this unit again based on what I know now? Yes, if it had Corian tops and I had a decent Dealer to work with. I think the engine and chassis is first rate even if the suspension design is right out of a 1920s military truck it still works very well.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #62

Right at the moment I have just a few issues to work on. The front ac vibrates the whole coach with a drone when the compressor is on and when the air flow is switched from straight down to ducted it obliterates the quantity of air coming out of the ducts. It seems the design is goofy as there is no diverter for smooth air flow ; just blocks the flow so it dribbles out the ducts.
Next I have to see how to tighten the awning fabric when extended because it flaps like a flag.
As far as the kitchen goes the counter top is actually a real solid surface: not wood so no issues yet but I haven't checked for leaks yet. This unit has the 2 burner stove top which is totally useless to us. I think its actually smaller than a coleman camp stove. If you put a frying pan on it the heat would burn the control knobs.
Other minor fixes to do but I will handle it. Keep us posted on the counter top fix!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The counter top fix that I am about to try is this: I have ordered (at my cost) three brushed stainless steel trim rings to place under the sinks and the stove that are just large enough to cover the damage on the tops. I plan to seal under them with silicone to prevent water seeping under them. This trim is only about .030 thick and should look ok. The trims should be here in a week or so and when I get it done I will take some photo's and post them. If the parts turn out as I hope I will post where I got them in case anybody wants to go this route instead of letting someone tear out your tops. The parts cost about $150.00

New problem discovered! The headlights on my coach are incredibly bad. The dims are just usable but the brights are god knows where. The dims seem to be set low but the brights are in the heavens and since there is only one lamp I have no clue what is wrong. Has anyone else had this problem? Will be checking to see if the lamps could be installed upside down or?

Just returned from a 1000 mile trip in the Rockies and got 12 MPG. Almost all on secondary roads, uphill both ways and actually some in a snow storm. I'm happy!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #64

your fix sounds good except dont use silicone ; it breaks down. There are other suitable sealers for sinks. Im in NC in the serrano now. I didnt get the back water leak like I thought, gonna let the dealer fool with it along with other issues.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Serrano Countertop fix

I got the Brushed stainless steel trim rings and they look great. I had to dress the edges a bit with a fine sanding block to take the sharp edges off. And used pure silicone 50 year calk to seal under them and also under the sinks and stove. The job took about three hours to remove and replace the sinks & stove and mount the trims and the finished job looks great.

If you are one of the unfortunate people who has a Serrano with the crappy countertops. They will rot when wet around the areas where the sharp edges on the sinks and stove cut through the resin surface coat. This may be a solution. We did not want anyone tearing out the tops only to replace them with the same crap. We may someday replace them with Corian but this should work for a long time with care.
If interested I can help anyone wanting or needing to do this. I will get Thor to cover the cost as this will save them a bunch as it is still under warranty.

The last photo is where I just removed the couch, we have two small Lazy Boy swivel rocker recliners going in. We live in this coach for 8-10 weeks in the summer and want to be comfortable. I still have to put in a proper outlet box, the seat belts will be left to retain the chairs while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0447.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	15013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0442.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	15014  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0440.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	15015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0450.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	15016  

Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just thread about the brilliant design but poor quality on these new Thor Serrano mh's. From what I could see, the design and power train is meant to compete with the likes of Tiffin Breeze, and a new Monaco and Holiday Rambler. All around 31-32 ft slides etc. The Thor looks to be selling for at least 30-40 thousand less. I am very surprised that given the price difference, anyone would expect the same quality as the higher priced coaches. This GOLD STANDARD new program they came out with is nothing more than a smokescreen to lure unsuspecting buyers.

There are no free lunches, for the 30 thousand I would have to ask, what is the catch?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #67

the catch is incredible poor workmanship with no quality control to correct the mistakes before it leaves the factory. This really cuts down on labor costs. Some people will see an HD tv and go wow , not realizing that these are very cheap now. A jensen electronic unit years ago was quality but now these are low bid Chinese generic crapola. In fact they are not even Jensen but are relabled. This goes on and on and you really cant realize how bad it is until you have it for awhile. The toilet is under sized as is the bathroom sink and shower. I just put mine in for warranty work with 25 repairs needed. You can see the list in the Thor section.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the quality of most of the components are as good as any other RV in it's class except for the standard countertops, better then a lot of them including the Breeze . The problem is the workmanship in putting the coach together. We hope Thor is solving this problem as it should not cost more to do it right the first time. It is not about the cost of the coach nor the quality of the components, we can all see those things on the lot, it's about the assembly of those components.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Robert View Post
I think the quality of most of the components are as good as any other RV in it's class except for the standard countertops, better then a lot of them including the Breeze . The problem is the workmanship in putting the coach together. We hope Thor is solving this problem as it should not cost more to do it right the first time. It is not about the cost of the coach nor the quality of the components, we can all see those things on the lot, it's about the assembly of those components.
I agree and the assembly is laughable. Mid coach tv and sat receiver compartment up in front of coach. Sat receiver hookup in front cabinet and factory doesnt know anything about where the wires go on roof!