Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
United Shade Takes Proactive Approach with New Child Safety Standard

News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 6,2011

United Shade takes proactive approach
with new child safety standard

ELKHART, Ind. — United Shade LLC, an affiliate of the Dicor Corporation, has recently had its corded shade products certified by the Window Manufacturer Association (WCMA) according to the new industry standard the association has adopted in consultation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). United Shade is the only window coverings supplier to the RV industry to be so certified.

“Concern about child safety around window covering cords has ALWAYS been an issue, and we are taking a proactive approach to ensuring the ongoing safety of our products. We’ve taken the guidance provided by our WCMA membership and ensured that our product meets all necessary specifications,” said Braden McCormick, president of United Shade.

“RVing has become a great lifestyle for families young and old, and we want safety to be a non-issue when it comes to new window coverings. In this, as with our product lines in general, people can count on United Shade to be proactive in seeking the best and safest products for our industry.”

The Dicor Corporation serves the RV industry through its affiliated companies: Dicor Products, Seal Design, United Shade and Vixen Composites. An affiliate of United Shade, Window Expressions, also serves the residential and commercial construction markets. While selling a wide range of products, all of the Dicor Corporation companies thrive as customer-driven concerns focused on simplicity, innovation and customer confidence in whatever they sell. For more information, visit Dicor Corporation | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wonderful---now would someone address the issue of child seats in MH's---??

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Wonderful---now would someone address the issue of child seats in MH's---??
I would expect that any belted position in a motorhome can safely accommodate a child seat that is facing forward. I would not want to belt a child safety seat 90° from forward since I don't believe that the restraint system is designed to do that. (for example; I have belted positions on my couch in the slideout)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I would expect that any belted position in a motorhome can safely accommodate a child seat that is facing forward. I would not want to belt a child safety seat 90° from forward since I don't believe that the restraint system is designed to do that. (for example; I have belted positions on my couch in the slideout)

Accomodate and safely are divergent issues--we learned that about cars---I do not share your confidence that the industry has successfully addressed the issue--and since window shades came up---well it provokes my comment.

I also allow that maybe you have more information than I but from the threads I have participated in with young families struggling with the child seat issue it is not unreasonable to conclude a much more emphatic and diliberate response from an industry that is inherently family oriented is warranted.

I have never seen an RV listing in it's safety or accessory features "how or where to place a childs seat". But then I have not seen even most RV's. In my experience it remains true.

If someone has addressed the issue specifically I really would appreciate knowing perhaps others as well.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #5

Back to the issue of shades. . . United is now making a shade similar to the MCD, only far superior in my opinion with NO cords. They come in colors and the brackets and rails are not flimsy like the MCD's, per one installer. We ordered them for every window in our Phaeton, except the bathroom and the kitchen and windshield. We spent under $900. DH built new wood valances and they look great.

Skool'z Out Forever!: September 2011 Scroll down to September 8.

We have the day, light blocking shades and the nighttime blackout shades. They work great and have NO strings for little ones to get caught in!

We bought ours through United's retailer, Window Expressions in Elkhart. Supposedly they are available through Camping World, but we haven't seen them there. The people at Window Expressions, i.e., Julie Hunt, was great to work with.

Dale

Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Scottiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety