Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
As the owner of a motorhome from a manufacturer that gave no concern to airflow resulting in burnt plug wires, I am concerned!

W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 AM   #16

As the owner of a motorhome from a manufacturer that gave no concern to airflow resulting in burnt plug wires, I am concerned!

I too wonder about that.
If there was a mass of complaints I'd think they would put out a service memo for all owners to go to a service center for installation of fans.

Could this be sporatic in some body designs.

It seems that any air flow to the top of the engine is baffled off in my Southwind and that only leaves air that sneaks around and up through the wheel wells. I personally have had no plud or wire problems. YET.

WH seems to be truly interested in their customers problems though. Maybe this rear engine design is to better ventalate the engine.

In a way though I like to here what the engine is doing as apposed to waiting for idiot lights to flash.

I wish I had a floor mounted stick with 6 or 7 gears and a fully syncronized tranny. Then you really feel what you're driving. Guess I did to many years on the road.

When I needed help on a breakdown a couple of weeks ago WH came through for me.
We'll see how it goes.
This will probably be our 2nd and last year of fulltiming, because it's getting too costly to be fun. It's been a fun 24,000 miles though.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Are they using their larger crystle air condenser ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The jury is out on that one because I don't think its going to need it. I have you registered for a test drive on Friday, September 15th @ 10:30am. We'll give the A/C a workout - OK!

New UFO forward mounted condenser is seperate from the engine cool pack

If can get 3 more people aboard perhaps we can go for a private ride & drive. I have 2 more slots open and possibly one more.

Let me know if you're going to be at the Fall PRVCA Show in Hershey, PA.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RRT2:
Wonder when this chassis will show up in the factory line-up...is it at the same factory .. or another one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Probably one of the best kept secrets was the fact that the plant was undergoing technology renovation and you may see a UFO making its way down the assembly line along side the Ws and the commercial chassis.

Just call and find out when they'll be having tours.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
As the owner of a motorhome from a manufacturer that gave no concern to airflow resulting in burnt plug wires, I am concerned! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you more worried about the coach manufacturer of the chassis builder. If you look at any of the chassis that they ship from the factory none of them have an air flow issue.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:
It seems that any air flow to the top of the engine is baffled off in my Southwind and that only leaves air that sneaks around and up through the wheel wells. I personally have had no plug or wire problems. YET. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you haven't had any problems to date with cooling you most likely won't have any. Cooling the engine is not done as passively as that. The more cooling air that flows through the cool pack the cooler your engine will run. Having good airflow once the air has gone through the cool pack is determined my the box that sits over the top of the engine. I haven't had any cooling problems or burnt out wires.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">WH seems to be truly interested in their customers problems though. Maybe this rear engine design is to better ventilate the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can see in all their press materials that the sub floor and engine location allow a lot of space for cooling. The cool, pack on the UFO is much larger than is needed. Cooling has been tested in Death Valley, CA and it was done so at temperatures above 105 degrees F for extended periods. The cool pack never even got warm so to speak never mind hot. The engine was tested with dozens of sensors that were critically placed all over the engine components and all the data from each device was collected. The results clearly show that if there were a "green", "yellow" and "red" range the total data accumulated never entered into the yellow range.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I needed help on a breakdown a couple of weeks ago WH came through for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Since WCC will be using a Maxxforce engine in the fall of 2007 these engines are manufactured by International Truck & Engine. They have some where on the order of 1500 centers so it is hoped that with those added resources a Workhorse customer won't ever be too far from a certified service center.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

New UFO forward mounted condenser is seperate from the engine cool pack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Looks like a good road debris catcher.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Are you more worried about the coach manufacturer of the chassis builder. If you look at any of the chassis that they ship from the factory none of them have an air flow issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The coach builders that done give any concern to air flow. It seem there is more room for error with the 8.1L in the rear as in the front.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #22
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
It seem there is more room for error with the 8.1L in the rear as in the front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What types of errors would you think would present themselves? You will have to see the UFO before you can make any type of assessment about that concern. I've seen it and there's lots of free space in and around the engine.

Debris or gators like any road hazards are things you have to avoid even with a front engine unit. There are thousands of RDPs with this type of condenser arrangement and it doesn't seem to present that much of an issue.

The condenser is not down at road level but is located forward and about a foot or more above the front axle and behind the generator space. The single large fan is quiet in operation and provides a good amount of air to the condenser when required.

I am always appreciating your optimistic outlook on things Full-Timers ...
Old 08-29-2006, 04:33 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What coach builder is putting the house on the new chassis for the Hershey show? How about some details???

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 AM   #24
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
What coach builder is putting the house on the new chassis for the Hershey show? How about some details??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OK! Since you asked here's a sneak peak at a shipping product.

2007 Georgetown "RE"

Definitely a Rear Engine!

The 2007 Georgetown RE or "Rear Engine" is so new that it's not even on their website yet. I believe that this will be one of the technology demonstrators at the Hershey Show.

If you are coming to the show let me know and I'll meet up with you. Please sign up on-line to reserve a spot. Here

Workhorse UFO

Additional OEMs are also on-board with the UFO platform and those will be announced as soon as I can. Most OEMs that are going to use the UFO will most likely have one at the RVIA Show in Louisville, KY by November.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #25

OK DriVer, now where's Winnie gonna put the basement TrueAir?

How about some more pics of this chassis? Are there any plans to mount a caster wheelies beneath the radiator to prevent damage on steeper slopes?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
OK DriVer, now where's Winnie gonna put the basement TrueAir? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If Winnebago Industries chooses to build on the UFO the Universal Floorplan Option chassis will allow the designers to install the Mach One basement air conditioning unit any where they want to put it.

Only those components placed below the frame hitch might come in contact with the ground. It's important to only place Pollock plugs or any other type of connection device above the receiver. The tire contact area to rear hitch angle is moderate when looking at the rear of the UFO from the side. I don't see it as a chronic problem any more so than large diesel pushers on air bag suspensions.

I did observe a slightly bent Pollock plug however the receiver itself was untouched. Ferry drivers are intent on getting there so I guess he gave it a good workout.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice Pix ---
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm really likin the concept, and especialy the lay out. With the condensor behind the generator box do you think there might be an air flow prob in the future?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote