Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
Lit

National RV Owners Club
I have not been able to locate any new information on this announcement, I知 wondering if it値l ever really happen. Owning a Workhorse as far as I知 concerned is one of the better decisions I致e made, I would not hesitate to buy another.

Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit View Post
I have not been able to locate any new information on this announcement, I知 wondering if it値l ever really happen. Owning a Workhorse as far as I知 concerned is one of the better decisions I致e made, I would not hesitate to buy another.
Absolutely nothing mentioned on the Workhorse website about a motorhome chassis. They are doing other commercial delivery chassis and alternative fuel chassis. My guess is that the MH chassis won't ever get off the ground again.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well .... About that let me offer this opinion.

In recent press we saw where Winnebago Industries (WGO) sold off its passenger bus line of products and is closing down its aluminum extrusion business "BECAUSE" their manpower could better be used for building motorhomes and they are NOT going to lay anyone off. Additionally Winnebago may be shifting more of its Class C production to the Charles City plant allowing more room for Class A production.

Well, that sounds great for Winnebago Industries and for everyone else that is a supplier to WGO as they should also doing more business. As this is happening at WGO, it is likely that its happening all across the RV Industry as well.

A question remains unanswered. In recent press we saw where Ford ramped up their Super Duty F-Series Chassis production and V-10 engine production to keep up with the demand from OEMs. Whether or not the demand is being satisfied is a question that will remain unanswered at the present time however if trends in the economy continue for the RV Industry, there should be more room for alternative suppliers to produce chassis even at premium levels. A Workhorse chassis was typically more expensive than a Ford by $3K to $5K+ due to having an Allison transmission and other expensive systems from Konigsberg, Arvin Meritor and others. I believe that we can see where an alternative "choice" on the part of consumers would be much appreciated rather than going to your RV dealer to only be asked what color black do you want your gasoline RV chassis to be.

In recent conversation it has become known to me that the PSI 8.8L engine is being installed in Navistar's IC line of school busses however it's running on alternative fuel which makes the BIG block behemoth appear more ecologically friendly. What we are waiting for I expect is for the 8.8L engine to be certified for on-road use with gasoline. Some of my sources speculate that the 8.8L is not there yet but it certainly could be given the need for speed!

OEMs need to invest if they are building on alternative chassis. What they are looking for to make the investment worth while is continuous on-time delivery and allocation, easy product integration, ubiquitous service centers and an price that customers are willing to pay.

Developing all these ducks in a row is challenging when you are producing a customer driven product. It took a couple of years for Workhorse Custom Chassis to be able to begin producing the W-Series while they were transitioning from GM using the P-Series chassis. In those early years WCC was building out orders under winter like conditions without a roof on the building however they were filling orders.

In order to see a Workhorse Group RV Chassis see the light of day in the near future, a number of benchmarks need to be attained on both sides of the equation. In my opinion, Workhorse Group LLC needs to be able to provide more product than may be required and the OEMs need to write more orders than they can fill. This I believe would set higher limits and capabilities where given only a slight delay in time, production and demand could always be satisfied. At the end of the day, it's an expensive gamble on both of the partners budgets and if either one hiccups it could damage customer confidence to the point where one of the other partners can't sustain the investment in production.

When Workhorse is ready to begin producing RV chassis again, I'm sure that they will have achieved all the expectations for being able to continuously and simultaneously supply both the RV and Commercial side, set reasonable pricing levels, get OEM orders and be able to sustain the service side of the business. Meanwhile I'm keeping a weather eye out and an ear to the rail in the expectation to hear tangible news which I expect will come in the near future.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Thanks DriVer

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #19

Not completely related, but might be interesting...
Chevrolet partners with Navistar in return to medium-duty work truck market.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

Cool, long live the Kodiak!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It will be interesting to see if Workhorse does start producing motorhome chassis again and if that means the UFO may become available again also.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bring back the UFO

The ride quality, ease of drive as well as being so quiet you can a have conversation while at speed made the UFO chassis the best gas MH on the market. If the Class A MH market is alive and well then the extra expense to produce the UFO would not hinder the sales especially after the first test drive. Our 2008 has near 25000 miles we bought it new and are part timers. Plans are to retire some time in the next 18 months. We had thought about trading as we plan on a lot more travel but after the 7 plus years with the UFO and price of diesel pushers our plans have changed.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #23

We have a 2003 Newmar workhorse chassis. 44 thousand miles. Great ride and very quite. I'm keeping this baby !!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis

I think the competition will be great, but at the same time I applaud Ford for continuing to produce a motorhome chassis through the lean years while the others went under.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davrho1974 View Post
We have a 2003 Newmar workhorse chassis. 44 thousand miles. Great ride and very quite. I'm keeping this baby !!
I have a 2003 WGO with over 108,000 miles and she's getting a new paint job this fall. She's a keeper.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasford View Post
I think the competition will be great, but at the same time I applaud Ford for continuing to produce a motorhome chassis through the lean years while the others went under.
I hope that another player will come on the scene in the near future and "Keep the Promise"

Americans like to have a choices and the fact that we just have 1 choice at the present time doesn't sit well with a lot of folks that are just holding on to what they have.

A couple of years back at the RVIA Expo in Louisville we saw a gas powered RV chassis from Spartan. In the same show we saw a 3rd party builder chassis powered by a GM 6.0L engine that looked like a Workhorse chassis. These proto types did not materialize.

I'm hoping that the demand goes up, an unmet need is addressed and that the investors don't back out when confronted by Big Blue.

Tags
chassis, workhorse