Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Workhorse to Re-Enter RV Chassis Market

With RV demand growing stronger, the company plans to begin production of Class A Motorhome RV chassis at the Workhorse Union City plant: Plans call for delivery of RV chassis in 2015. The Workhorse nationwide network of over 400 dealerships will support and service the Motorhome vehicles.

CINCINNATI, OH (PRWEB) May 20, 2015 -- Workhorse Group Inc. (OTCQB: WKHS) announced today plans to re-enter production of RV chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant.

Workhorse has been recognized as a leader in RV Chassis throughout the strong RV marketplace of the mid-2000s. The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association estimates RV volume was nearly 33,000 units per year in 2007, dropping to 5,900 units in 2009, and has been on a steady incline, with Class A Motorhome 2014 volume of over 21,800 units per year.
The steady growth back to strong current RV volumes, coupled with industry demand and interest, has resulted in the Workhorse brand re-entering the RV Chassis Market.

“Our RV manufacturing customers have always relied on the dependability and performance of the Workhorse RV chassis,” said Stoney Steenekamp, President of AMP Trucks Inc., a subsidiary of Workhorse Group Inc. “Today, we believe the RV market is strong once again. With the growing demand we have recently seen, it just made sense for us to begin entering back into production.”

Over the years, the Workhorse brand established itself as a leader in building RV chassis, with dependable product solutions and strong support through a network of more than 400 dealerships and service centers across the country.

Workhorse intends to ramp up production of the Class A Motorhome chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant, which is currently in limited production of the Workhorse E-GEN™ vehicle, an EPA-approved electric truck chassis with onboard generator for the medium-duty truck segment. The E-GEN vehicle allows fleet operators to choose gasoline, electric, propane, or CNG fuel options.

The Workhorse RV Chassis line will be an improved design, offering both 6.0L and powerful 8.8 liter gasoline engines, coupled with an Allison transmission. The 8.8L engine is designed to match diesel towing ability and mileage.

“It gives us great delight to once again take our place in the RV Chassis market,” continued Steenekamp. “We believe the demand is there, we will be building an improved RV chassis line, and we fully expect our Workhorse W-16 and W-22 Class A Motorhome chassis to quickly be recognized as leaders in the category.”

About Workhorse Group Inc.
Previously a division of Navistar, the Workhorse brand along with the Workhorse Union City, IN assembly plant, and network of over 400 dealerships was sold to Workhorse Group Inc. (OTQBB: WKHS) in 2013.

Workhorse Group Inc. manufactures electric drive systems for medium-duty, class 3-6 commercial truck platforms, and can equip its Workhorse chassis with electric, gasoline, propane, or CNG engines. The company is re-entering the RV Chassis market, and will also be building Class A Motorhome chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant. For additional information visit http://www.workhorse.com.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of the best news I've heard in a very long time, thank you for the post.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
It will be good just as long as manufacturers don't pile to much weight on their chassis'. In my opinion 40 foot on a workhorse is to much weight.
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I haven't seen anything so far that tempts me away from my 8.1 W24, but an 8.8 would sure get my attention!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodie View Post
I haven't seen anything so far that tempts me away from my 8.1 W24, but an 8.8 would sure get my attention!
I sure hope that is going to be a bolt in replacement for the 8.1 if needed.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

Great news! I love my current WH chassis RV, however will probably be looking to replace in a few years. This will be good for the industry as well, some good competition between Ford and Workhorse can only be a good thing.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good news for all, competition will allow the consumer to benefit. It gives everyone a choice and also will help keep the ford chassis from getting stagnant.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
It will be good just as long as manufacturers don't pile to much weight on their chassis'. In my opinion 40 foot on a workhorse is to much weight.
I have not had the chance to read the engine load sensor but based on performance I'd say my 8.1 had no problem with my 37'7" Rig.. I do not think it would mine 3 more feet.. Though towing capacity might go to zero.

Sadly a problem NOT related to load totaled the engine.. It will be awhile before we can postmortem it.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well that's good news for a great chassis MFG always wondered if they would return.
Now that I am leaving the world of RVing I will still follow this info to see what engine they will be using with the Allison Trans should make it interesting for Ford also to have completion back again.
Started with a JD Ford chassis to Fords than to the best a Workhorse, even with some of their problems will now have to leave it to you younger people to follow the new adventure in the chassis world, have fun.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Wonder if there will be more and better work centers. I don't have any in my area with the exception of one RV dealer I don't trust, although I did speak with them about bleeding the brakes on my W24 and they didn't know how and then when I told them what was involved they refused to do it! Just as well, but surprising considering they used to sell Newmar on the W24 chassis.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
With RV demand growing stronger, the company plans to begin production of Class A Motorhome RV chassis at the Workhorse Union City plant: Plans call for delivery of RV chassis in 2015. The Workhorse nationwide network of over 400 dealerships will support and service the Motorhome vehicles.

CINCINNATI, OH (PRWEB) May 20, 2015 -- Workhorse Group Inc. (OTCQB: WKHS) announced today plans to re-enter production of RV chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant.

Workhorse has been recognized as a leader in RV Chassis throughout the strong RV marketplace of the mid-2000s. The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association estimates RV volume was nearly 33,000 units per year in 2007, dropping to 5,900 units in 2009, and has been on a steady incline, with Class A Motorhome 2014 volume of over 21,800 units per year.
The steady growth back to strong current RV volumes, coupled with industry demand and interest, has resulted in the Workhorse brand re-entering the RV Chassis Market.

“Our RV manufacturing customers have always relied on the dependability and performance of the Workhorse RV chassis,” said Stoney Steenekamp, President of AMP Trucks Inc., a subsidiary of Workhorse Group Inc. “Today, we believe the RV market is strong once again. With the growing demand we have recently seen, it just made sense for us to begin entering back into production.”

Over the years, the Workhorse brand established itself as a leader in building RV chassis, with dependable product solutions and strong support through a network of more than 400 dealerships and service centers across the country.

Workhorse intends to ramp up production of the Class A Motorhome chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant, which is currently in limited production of the Workhorse E-GEN™ vehicle, an EPA-approved electric truck chassis with onboard generator for the medium-duty truck segment. The E-GEN vehicle allows fleet operators to choose gasoline, electric, propane, or CNG fuel options.

The Workhorse RV Chassis line will be an improved design, offering both 6.0L and powerful 8.8 liter gasoline engines, coupled with an Allison transmission. The 8.8L engine is designed to match diesel towing ability and mileage.

“It gives us great delight to once again take our place in the RV Chassis market,” continued Steenekamp. “We believe the demand is there, we will be building an improved RV chassis line, and we fully expect our Workhorse W-16 and W-22 Class A Motorhome chassis to quickly be recognized as leaders in the category.”

About Workhorse Group Inc.
Previously a division of Navistar, the Workhorse brand along with the Workhorse Union City, IN assembly plant, and network of over 400 dealerships was sold to Workhorse Group Inc. (OTQBB: WKHS) in 2013.

Workhorse Group Inc. manufactures electric drive systems for medium-duty, class 3-6 commercial truck platforms, and can equip its Workhorse chassis with electric, gasoline, propane, or CNG engines. The company is re-entering the RV Chassis market, and will also be building Class A Motorhome chassis at the Workhorse Union City, IN plant. For additional information visit http://www.workhorse.com.

Thanks DriVer I'm always looking for the Workhorse 2005-2007 while out shopping and getting educated. Funny though most sales people always ask why and then say they don't make those anymore and Ford is the leader. Well I guess its easy to be the leader when your the only one.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Well I guess its easy to be the leader when your the only one.
The dealership question therefore is, "What color black did you want your chassis"

The RV buying public is overdue for "Choice!"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #13

I would welcome WH back in the game, but they face an uphill battle, now that Ford is entrenched with the Moho manufacturers. I would think that the economy of scale makes them want to keep offering only one chassis for sale to the consumer.

Do you think the days of offering model "X" with different chassis options are over? I think it would be more economical for the Moho company to offer some models with a Ford chassis and different models with WH chassis. I wonder how long it will take to see a new WH moho actually be offered for sale?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #14

I know it won't ever happen, but I'd like to see the Japanese or Germans put up a new plant in Elkhart and start making MH chassis. At least Detroit Chassis/Ford would have some competition and would have to up their game. We the consumer would be the beneficiary of more competition.

Tags
chassis, workhorse