Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #1

1991 Excel/2008 Keystone

We purchased this 1991 Excel from a elderly gentleman to see if my new family would enjoy camping. (I'm 36 and recently married for the first time, new wife has children, I've camped all my life) We speant several week-ends as a new family fixing the 'ol Excel up and detailing it to look new. Replaced the tires, packed bearings, removed wall paper and stained the paneling. ect...had alot of fun. Went camping several times and decided we liked it, but the 'ol Excel was alittle small for 5 of us. In the mean time we traded the 2008 F150 I ordered new for a gently used 2009 F350. Sold the Excel before winter, and then wished I hadn't cause I knew we'd miss it come spring. My folks saw this 2008 Copper Canyon and asked the owners if they'd sell it, a deal was made, so we're back in the camping mode in time for spring. This little 5th wheel is perfect for our young family's week-end trips to the lake and the occasional longer trip. We're excited to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0842.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	20251   Click image for larger version

Name:	545933_10150706657619303_517379302_9181684_2132296825_n.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	20252  

Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nice set up you've got there! Happy trails we hope you make lasting memories.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Nice looking setup. I am sure you and your new family are going to have many great memories ahead of you.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the compliments. We kinda miss the Excel, have lotsa pix of it when we got it and the "freshening up" stages. It'was a fun coach and i do miss the large walk through bath! With Jody our daughter, and myself it was just about right, but when her teen-age boys are with us it was alittle tight. we'd made afew trips to the lake and one to CO to see her family...just had a blast. Decided to sell it so we weren't paying storage on it through the winter. Then this 2008 came along, couldn't pass it up. It's perfect for all of us to go on trips, plus the kids can take friends.....really a nice little coach for us. Jody and I were married acouple weeks ago, and I adopted her daughter, who asked me to be her Daddy over a year ago. It's a great set up for us, and our daughter is soooo escited she has her own room! She's never been camping or boating until I came into her life, and I want to provide the same great experiances to her as my parents did to me. She's already wanting to get the boat out too....but it's just alittle too cold yet!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great looking rig! Congrats and have fun.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Very nice, wishing you many happy journeys.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This post warms my heart right to the core!!! There is something to be said about RVrs - Those who camp together stay together... or something along those lines!! It sounds like we grew up much the same, always with an RV of some flavor and on the go whenever possible. My first memories in life were of the trailer my parents had that they built a crib in for me and my little sister on a bunk in the front of this old Shasta trailer... Now that we're all grown, and my sibblings have families of their own, we're all RV owners. In total, we have 4 RVs and when one of us goes somewhere there is usually 3 others following...
My brother and his wife and my nephew just purchased their first RV a few weeks ago, and we're excited to head out with them on their maiden voyage...
My sister and her husband bought a motorhome a few years ago after they were married and blended a young family, and the kids have had soooooo much fun since then.
I can see it in my father's eyes everytime we load up, all of us, and pull off the paved road and head into the mountains and circle our wagons, a sense of pride in his children.
I hope and pray that you and your new family make many many happy memories on your journeys. Your post here brought a tear to my eyes, and it makes me happy to know that its not just my family who feels so strongly about these ties that bind!!!
Safe Travels!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very nice looking rigs! I love your story too! Investing in the life of your kids is always a great idea!

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats, and welcome to IRV2!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #10

Thanks so much for the kind words! We started camping in an old converted 1952 GMC school bus my grandfather built into a motorhome in the 1960's. It was the original GMC motorhome1 They planned on seeing the country, but after they retired and started farming...they never took the time. We speant many week-ends at the lake in the 80's when i was a kid with that rig...sure do miss it. Then folks had a class C, then a truck camper, and later a little '87 Starcraft 5th (just about a twin to our Excel) then a 1998 Alpenlite and now a custom ordered 2012 38' Montana Mountaineer 346LBQ and 2011 6-pack F350 Diesel. They are wanting to travel more too, and with the new additions to my family thought that would be the perfect set-up! They're already planning a trip with their new granddaughter! The boat in the picture was ordered new in 1981, that was where we speant our week-ends growing up...I wouldn't trade those days for anything. My new wife and 5 yr daughter had never been camping or boating untill we came together....They love it....little princess already wants to go fishing....and asks "Daddy, can I please have a pink pole too?" we are also looking forward to traveling with my parents. I've always wanted a family, and now I've got one. My wife's boys are teenagers, and are great kids too! didn't plan on beeing married with an "instant family" but someone had other plans for us....and it's been great for all of us!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Really nice looking rig. Enjoy!