Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2002 Winnebago Brave 36M "SO EXCITED"

We are going to Florida and picking up our new to us coach this week
She has 6 brand new tires and lots of upgrades but still has to pass a very stearn PDI that I'm going to put her thru before handing over the check!
Then we will slowly be driving back to upstate NY. Which brings me to a quick newbie question: Supposed to be 20 degrees at night for a couple days when we get home and then get warmer after that. Should I winterize for those few days? Thanks in advance for any help u can spare. Have learned so much on this forum, so thankful. God Bless.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	122635

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	122636

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	122637

Name:	42.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	122638
Golfr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a great coach. The new tires have saved you a lot of money. As far as winterizing, I would, because the weather could turn off cold enough to cause some frozen pipes. The cost of doing so is worth doing and not that much in cost. Don't take the chance. When the season begins you won't be fixing pipes, you'll be able to enjoy your time relaxing. Have a great season, safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Bruce C. Will do.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, here is my 2 cents worth. I have a 98 Itasca that has been following me around like my wife when she thinks I need supervising, I just can't seem to get rid of either......

One of the reasons that I chose the Winnie brand was that it seems to be more of a "fulltimer" design. One of those features, being manufactured in Iowa, very cold country, is that they plan for cold weather. Meaning the pipes are placed in insulated areas and are as protected as possible. Even my black water tank has a forced air furnace heater output in the septic tank compartment????? I had to restrict it because it kept cooking the s........, not a good smell!

Of course it is possible that Winnie has changed their design attitudes since I last bought mine. So, I'd recommend that you take a look at the plumbing and see where the pipes are before winterizing. Perhaps setting your furnace at 50 would be more than enough to keep all things moving like they should. Besides, I suspect that if you are as excited as I would be, you will be in and out of the thing loading and customizing to your tastes. So, I wouldn't winterize for just a couple of months, but you do have to leave the heater on. If you have it stored at home, plug in and use one of the small electric cube heater to maintain that 50 degrees.

One more thing, rubber seals don't like sub-freezing temps, so don't put out your slides until you warm up the interior of the coach.

Good luck with your new rig..... r
Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's right and our Journey has under the floor vented heat that keeps the storage areas warm as well just from radiated heat. There is a limit however and I purchased a small radiant heater that I put in the wet bay and plug in at the pedestal just in case. There is a limit how cold is too cold.

This last Winter we stayed in St Louis through two snow storms and 20 degree temps with no problem.

The other thing is that if you do freeze your pipe, it gets pretty spendy fast.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Picked up and drove back flawlessly. Love it! Went ahead and winterized it. Hope I did it right. Never could get the antifreeze to run in the toilet though. Not sure why.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What was color was the water coming into the toilet? blue, clear or yellow?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Awesome looking machine!! Congratulations!
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have two choices
1. Compressed air (IMPORTANAT - <35psi regulated) to blow the water out of all lines (including outside shower and laundry station), remove any under sink filters and install the bypass plug, empty the water heater and put the bypass valve in "BYPASS" mode and pump RV antifreeze (pink) into all lines (including outside shower and laundry station). Don't forget to unhook the ice maker and manually blow that line free of water (No antifreeze). Make sure the Black and Grey water tanks are empty and pour a RV (pink) antifreeze down all sink and shower drains to replace water in traps. Pour at least an additional gallon of Pink in the Black (through Toilet) and Grey Tanks. Drain the Fresh water tank and (optional) add about 1 Quart of 100Proof Vodka to keep the residual fresh water from freezing. DO NOT ADD pink AntiFreeze to the Fresh Water tank!!!

2.) find a heated garage it put it in!

Congrats on the new Brave man!
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the help. You all rock!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #11

Congrats on the rig enjoy your adventures
doglover44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #12

Beauty unit. looks like new!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for your kind words. She passed the PDI with only a few items that failed which lead to further negotiations with seller which they conceded to. We enjoyed our 1100 mi journey home to the snow belt. Come on spring!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beautiful rig but then I love Winnebago's!

I have had mine for a year and I think you will love using this Brave. They are just great rigs.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, winnebago