Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice rig guys. Congrats to the both of you. We've been full timing for 4 years. Still love every day of it.
Cheers
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch and Release View Post

I retired 4 years ago from a major airline (B767) and bought a MH. There are some safety items you should look into that as a airline pilot you would understand the issues. Tire pressure monitoring and electrical surge and power monitoring systems. Both have saved me twice in 4 years.

Don
Thanks, Don.

TPMS and surge protection are near the top of my list of things to do.
I'm looking at (iRV2 sponsor) TST 507RV TPMS and the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50.

It seems to me that tire pressure monitoring is essential. At the very least, check tire pressure before moving in the morning. As I see it, that requires a walk around with a pressure gage in hand to check 6 tires. OR, install a TPMS and avoid daily pressure checks. The addition of continuous monitoring that a TPMS offers, seems to make this a "no brainer" decision. Further, when we add a TOAD, I'm sure the first indication of TOAD tire failure would be sparks from rims on pavement viewed in the mirror. Not a pleasant thought. Besides, my First Officer refuses to do the walk around to check tire pressures for her Captain. She's always bugging me for gift suggestions...seems like a perfect compromise!

Your avatar reminds me of a DC-10 incident at HNL years ago. As I recall, normal tire pressure check during preflight. A long taxi with an undetected tire deflation (no TPMS on the -10). At a relatively high speed during takeoff, the crew noted unusual vibration and noise (no way for them to know it was caused by the shredding tire). Captain elected to reject the takeoff and initiated max effort braking. Additional tire failures during braking decreased brake effectiveness and resulted in an off runway excursion (on centerline, low speed, nobody hurt). This incident significantly revised our rejected takeoff criteria evaluation.

It was, I believe, the Captain’s retirement trip and he had his wife onboard. During the post incident interview process, the Captain was asked, “So, Captain, knowing what you know now, is there anything that you would have done differently?” His response was, “Yes. I would have called in sick for the trip!”

I've dug around a little in the inner recesses of the coach and marveled at the wiring. Wiring means electricity. Lots and lots and lots of electrical stuff. Although some of it probably isn't too sensitive to voltage and current irregularities, most of the electrical stuff is quite intolerant of electrical fluctuations. And, very expensive to replace. Any over/under voltage or current surge could certainly damage enough to make life miserable.

Thanks for the advice!

Take care,
Stu & Cindy
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Nice rig guys. Congrats to the both of you. We've been full timing for 4 years. Still love every day of it.
Cheers
Thanks, Rick.

I doubt we'll ever full time; we are certainly looking forward to being on the road for several months at a time, though!

Glad you're enjoying it!

Take care,
Stu & Cindy
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #18

Stu,

That incident happened on the reef runway. I made the first landing on that runway the day before it opened. I was flying a CG helo and told the tower I needed to set down for a moment to check something out.

I installed the same Progressive Industries surge protector myself. It was very simple to install and their factory reps were good to deal with while I was making the decision to buy it. It has saved the coach twice. Both times were at new campgrounds with stable electricity. The night before the second incident I was telling the guy in the new coach next to us he needed to get one. That night we had a heck of a thunderstorm come through and the next morning I saw him checking out his coach and he told me his tv's were fried along with his entertainment center. He was going inside to order the system that morning.

Make sure you get your coach weighed at each corner after you load it with all your items. Most MH's come with the tires inflated to close to max pressure. Your ideal pressure will be somewhat lower and will give you a softer ride even at MGTOW for your coach.

Don
Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #19

Stu/Cindy

I just read your post. Congrats on the new coach. Your plans are similar to ours. Bought the '07 Sprotscoach a couple years ago in preperation for retirement in the fall of 2011. We've worked out most bugs (although no big issues) and are enjoying the RVing whenever we can.

We, too, hope to take our first "retirement trip" to the east coast. We hope to view the colors and other scenic wonders of the area.

Have a great time with your new rig.
Rhoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #20

Stand by for tac air penetration. good luck in your new adventure.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybeaver View Post
Stand by for tac air penetration. good luck in your new adventure.
No problem with tac air penetration. I just wave a per diem check and they bingo to the boat.

Take care,
Stu