Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2009 Monaco Diplomat 41SKQ

We're planning to take delivery of a new 2009 Monaco Diplomat 41SKQ later this month. Here's a picture:

For more than 5 years, my wife & I have been looking forward to this adventure. I expect to retire in the summer/fall of 2011; until then, we really won't have time for any trip longer than about a week. So, we're hoping to get all the "bugs" worked out before our first epic journey.

Following retirement, we’ll be free for a Fall adventure. We're thinking that it would be nice to head for the Atlantic coast down near Norfolk and turn north, hugging the coast to New England. There's a ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ that looks like fun. IF I can get enough courage, we'll continue across the Verrazano Narrows Bridge onto Long Island and then ferry from Orient Point up to New London, CT. Drive north through New England until it gets cold enough that we want to turn south. We did, a few years ago, happen upon a huge Celtic Festival on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia in early October. It's an annual event; might be fun to do that again! Then, back home to Virginia until we've had enough of winter. When we've got a good weather window, I'd like to head south for a couple of months. We really like Charleston and have friends in Florida.

Summer of 2012 will start the big adventure! We both grew up in Montana and have family & friends throughout the Pacific Northwest. We’ll spend the summer and fall out there. Probably leave the motorhome there for the winter. The next spring ('13), we'll go get everything ready for Alaska. We’re planning northbound using the ferry system along the coast as soon as the weather is good enough. Then, drive as far north as Fairbanks. Our Southbound journey will be back through the Yukon Territories, British Columbia & Alberta (Jasper, Banff, Glacier) by the end of summer.

So, that's as far as we've mapped out, yet.

We look forward to meeting many of you as we enjoy this adventure!

Stu & Cindy
777 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
Nice looking rig

Sounds like some great plans you have made...
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

very nice! good for you!

envy your upcoming retirement

safe travels

Pappy2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #4

Enjoy that retirement. You're off to a good start.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye916 View Post
Nice looking rig

Sounds like some great plans you have made...
Thanks, Dan & Jan.

12 days until we take delivery & spend our first 4 nights aboard.

Lots and lots to learn!

Take care,
Stu & Cindy
Old 04-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy2Camp View Post
very nice! good for you!

envy your upcoming retirement

safe travels

Thanks, Pappy2Camp.

I never thought we'd look forward to retirement so much!

Take care,
Stu & Cindy

Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedowney View Post
Enjoy that retirement. You're off to a good start.
Thanks Lee & Ginger.

We're looking forward to the adventure!

Take care,
Stu & Cindy
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
We're planning to take delivery of a new 2009 Monaco Diplomat 41SKQ later this month. Here's a picture:

For more than 5 years, my wife & I have been looking forward to this adventure. I expect to retire in the summer/fall of 2011; until then, we really won't have time for any trip longer than about a week. So, we're hoping to get all the "bugs" worked out before our first epic journey.

Following retirement, we’ll be free for a Fall adventure. We're thinking that it would be nice to head for the Atlantic coast down near Norfolk and turn north, hugging the coast to New England. There's a ferry from Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ that looks like fun. IF I can get enough courage, we'll continue across the Verrazano Narrows Bridge onto Long Island and then ferry from Orient Point up to New London, CT. Drive north through New England until it gets cold enough that we want to turn south. We did, a few years ago, happen upon a huge Celtic Festival on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia in early October. It's an annual event; might be fun to do that again! Then, back home to Virginia until we've had enough of winter. When we've got a good weather window, I'd like to head south for a couple of months. We really like Charleston and have friends in Florida.

Summer of 2012 will start the big adventure! We both grew up in Montana and have family & friends throughout the Pacific Northwest. We’ll spend the summer and fall out there. Probably leave the motorhome there for the winter. The next spring ('13), we'll go get everything ready for Alaska. We’re planning northbound using the ferry system along the coast as soon as the weather is good enough. Then, drive as far north as Fairbanks. Our Southbound journey will be back through the Yukon Territories, British Columbia & Alberta (Jasper, Banff, Glacier) by the end of summer.

So, that's as far as we've mapped out, yet.

We look forward to meeting many of you as we enjoy this adventure!

Stu & Cindy
Congrats Stu & Cindy, She's a beauty
Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monaco made great rigs. Congrats to you two. We've been full timing for almost 4 years, you guys are going to love it.
Cheers
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

How's it going so far?

We're looking at a 2011 Monaco and would love to know how your 2009 is working out. Everything good? Any problems? Have you had to deal with Monaco service? How was that experience?

Hope all is well and you are having a ball.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Signed, Still looking in Houston
blyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Sweet looking congrats on the coach and retirement! Happy trails
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyons View Post
We're looking at a 2011 Monaco and would love to know how your 2009 is working out. Everything good? Any problems? Have you had to deal with Monaco service? How was that experience?

Hope all is well and you are having a ball.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Signed, Still looking in Houston
So far, so good.

We had a couple of minor issues that were all addressed, to our satisfaction, by the dealer.

We haven't had any dealings, yet, with any manufacturer service other than at the dealership.

Since our coach is a pre-bankruptcy manufactured coach, it doesn't have a traditional warranty. The dealer did include an insurance policy that covers (to my understanding) everything that would have been covered by a traditional warranty.

Since you're looking at a post-bankruptcy coach, I'd guess that Navistar should provide excellent warranty service for thier new coaches.

If you haven't done it, you might want to read some of the Monaco bankruptcy related threads. I think you'll find a degree of disappointment among the pre-bankruptcy owners who had outstanding warranty issues when Monaco declared bankruptcy. Many of them found their warranty claims unpaid during the bankruptcy process. Since they didn't have insurance to cover those repairs (why would anyone purchase insurance to cover something that should be covered by the manufacturer warranty?), they ended up out of pocket for those repairs.

That shouldn't be an issue for you if you buy a 2011 model.

Good luck in your search!

Take care,
Stu & Cindy
Old 07-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser 38 View Post
Sweet looking congrats on the coach and retirement! Happy trails
Thanks for your kind wishes!

Not retired, yet. Got another year, or so, until we can pursue those "Happy Trails" for more than a few days at a time.

So far, we're loving the coach. It seems to be just about exactly what we want. It should be quite comfortable for us to spend a few months at a time on the road.

Take care,
Stu & Cindy
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #14

Stu,

I retired 4 years ago from a major airline (B767) and bought a MH. There are some safety items you should look into that as a airline pilot you would understand the issues. Tire pressure monitoring and electrical surge and power monitoring systems. Both have saved me twice in 4 years.

Don