Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
2012 Newmar Bay Star finally home

OH the joy of getting a brand new RV!

I started in the "New Member Check-In" forum on 10-22-2011 a new Post/Thread titled "2012 Newmar BayStar on order" about my RV choice and why I ordered a Newmar RV. I picked it up on 2-9-2012 at Sky River RV in Paso Robles, CA and the the experience was terrible.

The RV was beautiful and what I had ordered. But, the stealership got greedy and demanded I pay an additional $4,000 over the contract price or they would not deliver the RV to me. I had traveled 250 miles, and had a load of stuff to transfer between the old and new RV. They cut short the delivery inspection and we spent the day argueing about their obligation under the sales contract. At closing time, I decided to pay $1,500 extra on my credit card so I could get the new RV that Newmar had built for me off their lot and out of their clutches. I realized that while I sued them in court for completion on the sales contract they could neglect or sabotage the RV if it remained in their control. My stress would be higher while wasteing months battleing in court, or canceling the order and ordering a duplicate 2012 Bay Star from another dealer.

The stealership had done little to earn Newmar's PDI/delivery money because valve stem caps were missing, black water roof vent cover was missing, front wheels were out of balance, steering wheel was misaligned, shower door handles had fallen off, and the fuel tank was nearly empty. I paid them to move the US Gear brake controller from my trade-in to the new RV and it took 3 tries before they did it right, and they sent me out with an unsafe towing hookup. I discovered it when I bought gas and went back to the stealership. They had lost the parts to the locking hitch pin which could have fallen out on the road while towing my 2008 Tacoma V6, AT, 4x4. I had to buy a 5/8" pin with a clip as a replacement. The new RV blew a hose off under the sink and I saw water running across the floor while sitting in it in a Paso Robles RV park. I went back to the stealership and was greeted with a "Do You Have an Appointment" reply when I asked for a repair for the water leak. The Service Manager said they will fix it. However, I had to beg them to vacuum the water out of the compartments.

Once I got away from the terrible stealership and Paso Robles things got much better. I visited my Bro at Johoba Hills SKP park, and stopped at Temecula Valley RV for a solar panel and inverter/converter with AGM batteries estimate. I liked the place and they took care of some warranty items with Newmar for me which took about 6 weeks. So I had them replace the 2 wimpy group 24 coach batteries with 4 Lifeline GPL-L16T AGM batteries for 800 AHs and mount the 480 pounds of batteries above the Ford chassis frame rails. The engine battery was replaced with 2 Lifeline GPL-4T, 220 AHs, AGM batteries. Their work included a Magnum MS2812 Inverter/Charger, BMK, AGS, and ME-ARC50 remote controller. The Winegard HD antenna had to be moved from the center of the roof to the front so they could install 765 Watts of solar panels. An Outback FM60 solar charge controller, RTS, Hub 4, and Mate-3 remote control were installed as well. The engine batteries are monitered with a Xantrex Link-10 I supplied. The conduits that I had Newmar install greatly simplified the installation.

I have spent the last 2 weeks reading the Newmar supplied manuals and learning how the Ford chassis works, got a wheel alignment under warranty, and had the RV weighed. I am carefully inspecting everything, fabricating blocks for the jacks, planning the RVs LAN and WAN systems, installing the DirecTV DVRs, Blue Ray drive, etc. I am also trying to figure out the optimal storage configuration to minimize the RV's weight difference on the ends of each axle and get as close to 40% of the weight on the front axle as I can.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to be boondocking soon. I have 13 pictures to illustrate my adventure. The first 2 are at campgrounds in the first 2 weeks of ownership. The next 4 view the roof before moving the satellite antenna, and the new electrical storage bay work with the 4 120 pound batteries mounted in the pass through area, and the revised control panel above the entry door before the solar panels were turned on. The remaining 7 are my new baby at home (it fits in the driveway like I had hoped) , the revised roof configuration, and interior pictures since I have seen requests for them on this forum. I am very happy with the changes Newmar made for me, the Convection/Microwave and drawers instead of the oven under the cooktop. The 10 cubic foot refrig with ice maker instead of the 8 cu.ft. without is nice too. The change in leather color is great, as is the combo computer desk/dining/buffet setup (a table leaf and 2 folding chairs stowed under the queen bed) instead of a booth dinette.

Happy trails to Ya'll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-Paso Robles.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	20322   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-Johoba Hills SKP.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	20323  

Name:	03-Temecula Valley RV b4 roof.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	20324   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-Outback-Magnum-batteries.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	20325  

joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
The system would only take 4 pictures. I have 9 more. What do I have to do to send the remainder as a new reply with attachments because I am getting a Microsoft error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page"?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05-more elect stuff.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	20326   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-new control panel.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	20327  

Name:	07-Baby finally home.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	20328   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-roof changes.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	20329  

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I now have 5 pictures left. I sent the reply as text, then edited to add what appears to be a max. of 4 pictures. So I will try it again.

I am still getting the error message, I will try again to send as attachments in 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	09-front door looking aft.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	20330   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-looking aft large slide out.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	20331  

Name:	11-bedroom.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	20332   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-looking forward.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	20333  

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
What did they base their $4,000 add'l on? If it was a re-appraisal of your trade your contract may allow that and you're on the hook for that.

Also, if you paid by CC with the intent of doing a charge back you're probably out of luck there too as you signed the charge slip and that's all the dealer has to do is show the signed receipt. It doesn't matter why you signed it. That will also weigh against you in court should you go that way.

We had a customer buy a product from us with a CC, then they tried to do a charge back. All I had to do was supply a copy of the charge slip with their signature. It did cost us a $25 "investigation fee" though.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
They knew it would take Newmar at least 3 months to build and deliver the RV. Their estimate of my trade was based on that knowledge. It took a little over 3.6 months (Christmas and New Years holidays and delivery slows) and they claimed the blue book value had dropped in the mean time. The only cancel clause in the contract was if they could not sell it to a finance company and the 10 days had long since passed. I had provided them an itemized list of $29,000 in upgrades I had added to the RV over the 7 years I owned it and they had a chance to inspect it at they RV show and they declined. As business professionals they they are not guaranteed the profit they would love to have if they mis-judged the delivery time of forgot about the blue book decline in value. They said they should get $8,000 more but would take only $4,000 because they are so nice. I saw through that phony scam. They were then intentionally ignoring the documents I had provided to them which lists items that raises the value over the base blue book price, such as GPS system, ProSine 2000 inverter, HD in motion satellite antenna, etc.

When they claimed the added equipment was not worth anything, I said I would remove as much of it as I could. Their story changed to it is not worth anything, but I cannot remove anything, since it is included in the trade in value stated in the sales contract. It became clear to me that I was dealing with the sleaziest of used car scum at that time.

About 2.5 months after RV order it became known what the changes Newmar made for me would cost and we agreed on the price. I would pay cash for the changes. I arrived ready to close the deal as contracted, they caused me to incure costs to travel 250 miles to their location, the inturuption of the walk through inspection by the demand for more money, the dismantling of my trade's towing and braking system so I could not easily depart their location, the lack of food, and rest, all contribute to the duress I was under when I agreed to the extra $1,500. I belive I have a tort claim and good cause for damages were I to have just accepted my deposit back and been delayed another day while they repaired the dismantled tow and brake system for my toad.

In California the courts will force a sale of your home if you renege on a sales contract.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13-galley view looking forward.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	20334  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice rig! Congrats, and hopefully all the aggravation is behind you now.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You still seem upbeat about your new coach which is way better than letting it get you down about it.

Great looking unit.

When I put in pictures I click the image icon just above the text box then fill in the drop down box with the picture address then you can put in as many pictures as you wish, I'm not sure how it works using the attachments feature.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Will avoid that stealership !!!!! Happy trails ahead!!
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Very nice rig...wishing you many happy journeys.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks great. May each trip be filled with joy.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
very nice and sounds like you on your way to having fun!
lv2bgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
GREAT looking rig!!!!!

Let the deliver issues pass and settle in on many, many, many happy trials ahead.
Just For Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice solar panel Oh nice rig also she's a beauty. Jim
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
May you receive enough joy from you new rig to make you forget all the tribulations from the the "stealership". Nice looking, well equipped coach.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote