Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #15

NHDAVE - How'd you pick it

NHDAVE - My wife and I just returned from the big RV show in Hershey. We were impressed with the Discovery. We were also looking at Newmar Ventana's and Tiffin's Allegro Red. I'm wondering how/why you picked the Discovery? This will be our first RV purchase, and we're planning on going full-time next summer So it's a BIG decision. Looking forward to your perspective.

Thanks,

Ian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
NHDAVE - My wife and I just returned from the big RV show in Hershey. We were impressed with the Discovery. We were also looking at Newmar Ventana's and Tiffin's Allegro Red. I'm wondering how/why you picked the Discovery? This will be our first RV purchase, and we're planning on going full-time next summer So it's a BIG decision. Looking forward to your perspective.

Thanks,

Ian
Hello Ian.

That's a tough question to answer in short form, so I'll do my best not to make this a novel… haha

Naturally, and firstly, we wanted something that we would enjoy using over the years and not quickly grow tired of in only a short few. We are not full timers, but there are 5 of us. My wife an I have 3 small kids and that certainly requires space. Class A's typically and historically have been built to cater to couples and not really families so much, with the typical queen bed in the rear, small dinette with a couple of chairs etc… They are finally starting to put bunks in them, making them more family friendly. Which is great for us! I have tirelessly looked for a Class A Pusher with 3 bunks, but they just don't exist…short of spending $1m+ on a custom Prevost, Newell etc., which was NOT an option.

As far as the Discovery choice, it really hit most of the checkmarks for our needs. The floor plan is great for us! Obviously, having bunk beds was important. Plus, it has a KING bed in the rear, where many have a queen in the master. We wanted a king size bed like we have at home. Washer/dryer are in a convenient place. It has 3 a/c's (and 2 furnaces) which keeps the entire coach VERY comfortable! The frameless windows they put in the coaches of today, that only open a few inches, don't exactly offer a lot of airflow. Having the 3 a/c's really keeps it from getting stuffy, even on the hottest of days with 5 of us. It makes it VERY comfortable for sleeping too! It has more than adequate power with the Cummins ISB 6.7L @ 360hp and it tows our 7000lb+ toad great, even climbing the grades we have here NH in the mountains.

It has a tankless water heater which is a great feature in itself for many reasons. HUGE smooth basement storage that doesn't have that glued down carpet stuff everywhere that many MFR's put in them, that over time ALWAYS seems to smell very musty. I cut rubber restaurant mats to fit (restaurant mats have holes for ventilation so theres no trapped dampness) and placed them in there…nothing slides around on the rubber, it breathes and they worked out sweet. The coach also has a U-shaped dinette, which again, there are 5 of us and the small booth-style found in most coaches simply won't work for us without always having to break out/and store folding chairs…which would take up space and I'm sure would soon become an annoyance.

With the slides open, it REALLY makes for a lot of room. Which is great for us, especially on those rainy days when we're ALL inside. When they are closed, there is still plenty of room to do what you have to do even while on the road. Aesthetically, inside and out, we very much like it!

I could go on, as there are many other things we like about the coach (and that I like as the operator haha). We do wish it had another bath though…but we certainly manage just fine without it.

We've only had it a couple of months, but so far we are really enjoying it.

Bang for the buck, I think overall it's a great coach and am hoping for many years of enjoyment and great memories with my family in it!

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Best of luck to you!

NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post

Thanks,

Ian
Ian,
We also looked at the tiffin allegro RED along with the tiffin phaeton bunk house.
We chose the discovery 40G for a few reasons.
We tow a lifted jeep. So that's almost 7000lbs. And we live at 6000 ft in Colorado, so we needed the bigger Cummins.

Allegro red. 5000lbs max tow.
We also found the finish to be cheap, and flimsy.

The phaeton was much better. In line with or slightly better than the discovery. But the floor plan does not work if the slides are in. Very cramped just to get to the bathroom.

The discovery is fully livable with slides in if required.

We were stuck on a phaeton for 6 months thinking it's what we wanted, but have a discovery instead.

We can't afford a newmar. They are very nice coaches, but you don't see many bunkhouse models.

Randy

Tags
discovery, fleetwood