Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #1

After 20 years,we finally did it!

On May 11th, the wife and I picked up our brand new 2020 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29BH 5th wheel. We had the previous bumper-hitch, a 30 foot Layton, for 20 years. It was still good, and had served us well, but we needed a larger trailer with some bunks for the grandchildren. Well, this one fits that bill just fine. Back in '04, we had purchased a Dodge 3500 dually, 4-door, Cummins diesel with the intention of getting a 5th wheel. Our economy went south, and that plan was put on hold. Everything is better now, so we opted for the new rig.
It pulls very nicely, and my fuel mileage did not change between the two rigs, which surprised me. This one has auto level and all sorts of gadgets to make set up and take down easier on my middle-age body.
Our maiden voyage was last weekend, to a local state park, and everything went well. We finally figured out how to work the TV/Video and watched an older James Bond movie, then fell asleep in front of the fireplace. Finally went to bed, and this 5er has a full size queen with a pillow-top mattress, which we both found very comfortable.
The only problem was with the hot water heater, the ECO failed during the second night. (I replaced it today, the water heater works fine now.
Planning on taking it out next weekend, and then the third week of June we leave for Leadville, CO with 4 grandchildren, and the parents.
I'll post about how those trips go!
Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190517_185306.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	750.2 KB
ID:	247286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190517_185325.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	837.8 KB
ID:	247287  

2Grands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #2

Congratulations!
Creating memories with your grandchildren that will last them a lifetime.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Congrats! What a lifestyle and your grandkids get explore and see this great nation. Well done!
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on a good looking rig and a successful maiden voyage!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

Thank you all for your nice comments. We are looking forward to getting back to our old habits, that is getting away 2-3 times each month.
And yes, taking the kids and now grandkids has always been an integral part of our camping. My children have been all over the western US with us, and now that he has children of his own, our son is more than ready to go as often as he and his family can.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats and many happy miles to you!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #8

Great looking rig! Have fun with it!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #9

If you can shre why you selected the Coachman I would be interested in hearing. I went to tehir site and they have some great models.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
If you can shre why you selected the Coachman I would be interested in hearing. I went to tehir site and they have some great models.
Ditto that, I am trying to learn about them. My Dodge Cummins is old and not a dually but would be OK to tow a fifth wheel I assume.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #11

We have looked at a lot of manufactures, and this one seemed the best built for the dollar, we also liked the floor plan a lot. Dealer service and the way they handled the sale was also important; in our area, there are the "Big Name" dealers, and a few smaller ones. We went with the dealer (a local dealer) that was willing to answer questions, didn't try to push us into the sale, and had good reviews from previous customers.
Our unit had to be ordered in, and they were on time with the delivery, etc., and the person that did the walk through took 2 hours to answer our questions and show us everything and how to work it.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Grands View Post
We have looked at a lot of manufactures, and this one seemed the best built for the dollar, we also liked the floor plan a lot. Dealer service and the way they handled the sale was also important; in our area, there are the "Big Name" dealers, and a few smaller ones. We went with the dealer (a local dealer) that was willing to answer questions, didn't try to push us into the sale, and had good reviews from previous customers.
Our unit had to be ordered in, and they were on time with the delivery, etc., and the person that did the walk through took 2 hours to answer our questions and show us everything and how to work it.
Well if something pops up you need a hand with holler at me. I'm right down the road in Herriman
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #13

Nice!!
RSPECT is offline   Reply With Quote