Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
all electric

Looking to buy new rv pros & cons of all electric Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 Help? jhmccut47

jhmccut47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
New Horizons Owners Club
I did not know that you could even get an all-electric but I suppose somebody would build one any way you like it somewhere.

The obvious is that you would be totally dependent on electric power. Many of the things you do, mostly associated with cooking, would require either bieng hooked up to shore power or running the generator. The essence of boondocking would also be significantly changed, again being totally dependent on the genset in places that it may not be prudent to have the noise, fumes or fuel consumption.

I would think the greatest challenge for all-electric would be the heating of your rig. An electric furnace (maybe two in a big bus) would be a huge consumer of power.

I don't think anything I have mentioned is show-stopper, except maybe the furnace, but having been an owner of one kind of rig or another for the past 11 years I know I would be uncomfortable in putting all my eggs in one basket. Generators are notorious for having problems just when you need them the most. In an all-electric if you are in a no-hook up environment and the genset goes down, then you have nothing but a few 12V lights.

I suppose the more you travel, the more important the all-electric question becomes. If the bus is going to spend the bulk of it's life parked in a site-owned park and used as a place you go to for weekends and vacation, then all-electric seems more workable.

'06 F-550 PSD Tow Boss
2012 37' Majestic by New Horizons
BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just ordered an all electric Fleetwood Revolution. You can run everything, except the cooktop, off either the batteries or diesel fuel.

The 'furnace', is actually a boiler that heats both the coach, and domestic hot water. It will use either diesel, electric, or both. The microwave/convection oven can be run off the batteries, although it will draw them down much more quickly. The fridge runs off the batteries (and in the Revolution has its own dedicated inverter).

From talking with those that already have gone all electric we'd expect, if boondocking, to have to run our gen set no more than two or three hours a day to recharge the battery bank (in the Revolution that will be 8 AGMs).

I think you'll see more all electrics as more of us go full time.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
We had an all electric Essex and currently have an all electric Prevost. Before that we had a propane/diesel motorhome. I would never buy anything but an all electric coach again. We have inverters (and battery storage) large enough to run the stove when boondocking. The only thing we need the genset for is the dryer, which is 220 vac.

If I was buying a Tiffin I would definitely go all electric.

If the question related to Tiffin, I would say Bob Tiffin makes a great coach and if things don't work he stands behind it. I think you've made a great choice.
06 Millennium Prevost
15 HD Limited Low and 16 HD Triglide (DW)
13 Avalanche Black Diamond with Cruiser Caddie
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I looked at an all electric Allegro Bus at Camping World/Dixie RV Sales in Hammond, La a few weeks back. It was a sweet coach, but they were asking $384 (sticker I think), which seemed high, but whose to say what you could dicker.

As for heat, it had the 450 Aqua Hot which burns diesel, so that's not a load on your electric and it gives you your hot water from either diesel or the electric heating element - your choice. I have that in my Camelot and like it a lot..... until it breaks of course.

I do appreciate having a refridgerator that can handle propane, but the all electric unit in the Tiffin probably works better overall and it does have six house batteries which would keep it running for a while on the inverter. I did check the inverter but don't remember the wattage. I do believe it was a pure sine wave model.

The genset was 10k, same as mine, but you may be able to get 12k as I option - don't know.

I would have to agree with Jperry29 above, that sweet as it is, it's probably not the best choice for someone who wants to do a lot of boondocking.
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Dan & Linda, 2008 Camelot PDQ, 2008 Jeep Wrangler
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote