Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #43

Hi Leslie!

It looks like you are in Asheville? I'm an Asheville native searching for more info on Altos! I'd love to buy you lunch/dinner if you'd consider showing off your Alto? 😊 I'm interested in buying one but would love to see one up close and personal first. I'll pm you if I can figure out how...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #44

Looks very nice!

Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #45

R-1723

Might of missed it, but it looks like I'm the first to show an interest in the Alto R-1723. I like the R-1713 well enough, but prefer the toilet-shower option for relatively minor uncharge and weight increase.

Like most of you, I have stalked these marvelous teardrops from afar (internet), but recently had the good fortune of seeing one here in town, in a supermarket parking lot.

As I was about to depart, a Jeep SUV (late model Grand Cherokee) wheeled into the parking lot, pulling a 1713. I don't usually blithely approach folks in public places, but nonetheless I approached the fellow, commenting on what an interesting trailer he had.

He was happy to discuss his views and did so. I was invited to view it going from it's going-down-the-road, lowered state, to (with an opening of its door and the pushing of a button) its parked, upraised state. Very quietly too, I couldn't discern the nature of its lifting mechanism by listening. He invited me to enter it, which I did with some concern (I'm 6-3, and used to "low bridge" scenarios in RVs), but for no good reason, as I could have worn a 10 gallon cowboy hat and not encountered to ceiling for probably 3/4ths of the floor space.

Inside, its very much like the images on the internet, nicely appointed and modern in appearance, and of quality materials.

I asked the owner how it was to tow behind his Jeep and he smiled. It was a newer model, one with the new EcoDiesel V-6 engines, and he said that he'd managed to average over 25 mpg across Canada and into Alaska, essentially ranging between 20 and 30 mpg, depending on nature of terrain, traffic, and prevailing winds. While he didn't say he couldn't tell it was in tow, he did say it was a very fine pairing and had no regrets, couldn't think of a better combination.

So, I'm sold! I've two years or so before my better half and I are both retired, and we are ready to spring for one of these. I have joined this forum, in the hopes of learning of the pro's and con's of each of the models, the 'gotta have' options, and those one can do without, and how you'd do it if you had it to do, all over again.

One of the unknowns for me is the Alto's suspension...seems to be some kind of torsion-based suspension? Anybody have opinions yet?

Lastly, your opinions on towing rigs...our current candidate is a low mileage Dodge Grand Caravan SE (3.8 liter V-6) with OEM trailer tow package.
-DB
Old 05-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #46

Safari Condo tour; parks with remote control

We just came back from Ontario where we go camping monthly in a rather large 5th wheel. We meet a women with what I believe to be a 1723 Safari Condo, it had the raised roof. She opted for the extra fold out bunk in the front instead of the large window. (We saw another one in the park with the window). She had the solar panel and awning. She said she ran it on the solar panel and battery for 4 days, in a fairly shaded area. The most interesting thing she told me was that she moved it into the camp site by REMOTE CONTROL! She said the maneuverability of it with a car and hitch was not that good. So it is taken off the car and parked by remote with the battery power. She said it was a breeze. She has owned it for two years and loves it. She did remark she should have started a guest book, since she has given many tours of it! The website says the units start at $991 CAN. I knew that was too good to be true. Does anyone know the base costs? Sounds like it would be perfect for long distance touring.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #47

If You Want to Learn More About Altos

If you want to learn more about Altos, you should really join the Facebook group I help administer, Altoistes. We are a very active group and you will find the answer to any and all of your questions there.

Submit a request to join and look for a message in your "other" message folder on Facebook.

Come join us!

Leslie
Old 05-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #48

New member, first post, super excited

Hey, I'm prolly breaking some kind of rule here but my wife and I have been searching for something to replace our 1991 Scamp and stumbled upon the Alto-r this morning so we're freaked out excited about the information we've discovered about them, including this forum.

We've been all over the FGRVForum while working on our Scamp and camping this season, but finding this place has really rev'd us up!

We're still reading and learning about the Alto's but everything looks fantastic. Can't wait to find out more information. Looking for the contact information for a US distributor that I thought was in Michigan; anybody know about that?

Ok, that's enough running off at the mouth...can you tell I'm excitable? I'm on my way back through the thread that Laura found about the Alto so see if anyone posted something I missed in my excitement.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #49

Oh, yah, I've requested access to the FB group but still waiting for approval. Rock on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu Ashevi View Post
If you want to learn more about Altos, you should really join the Facebook group I help administer, Altoistes. We are a very active group and you will find the answer to any and all of your questions there.

Submit a request to join and look for a message in your "other" message folder on Facebook.

Come join us!

Leslie
Old 05-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #50

Towing capabilities

Alaskizona, I'm gonna jump in here because no one has answered your question about tow vehicles and I feel like I have something to add; we are currently towing with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that includes a 3.6l V6 and are pulling a little more weight than the Alto-r would be and so far we haven't had any issues with power or otherwise.

Since you have the two OEM tow package, I believe you'd be fine with that vehicle, but to be sure/safe you should check your owners manual for tow capacities.

Also, like you we are interested in the R-1723, so you're not alone. Of course, all that could change, but it's a fantastic RV!

Good luck and safe travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskizona View Post
Might of missed it, but it looks like I'm the first to show an interest in the Alto R-1723. I like the R-1713 well enough, but prefer the toilet-shower option for relatively minor uncharge and weight increase...

... Lastly, your opinions on towing rigs...our current candidate is a low mileage Dodge Grand Caravan SE (3.8 liter V-6) with OEM trailer tow package.
-DB
Old 05-27-2016, 05:35 AM   #51

The caravan mover is a really cool optional feature, but far from a necessity. We had never towed before and adapted fairly easily to backing our R 1723 up.

And yes, tours are part of the territory!

Leslie
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #52

Have just completed 800 mile road trip from Anchorage to Haines, through British Columbia and Yukon. Thought about what it would have been like with an Alto in tow...too much construction going on this year, and the Alcan in portions has too many frost heaves to make any kind of time traveling with just our small SUV, let alone with a trailer in tow. Which begs the question of those who've put some miles on their Alto...how's the suspension...do you worry about construction zones, frost heaves, potholes? Or are you careful to keep it on substantial road systems?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #53

Alto info

My husband and I are trying to figure out what type of RV we are going to purchase for our retirement. The Alto Safari Condo trailers are right up there in the running based on Internet searches. It would be great to see one in person. We live in Tucson, AZ and are wondering if there is anyone out west who has one we could check out. We are always willing to go on a vacation so we don't mind traveling to get a look at one in person. Anybody know of any rallies coming up where we could see a gathering (flock?) of Altos? I have requested to become a member on the Altoistes FB page but have not heard back yet. Are folks loving/hating their Altos?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #54

Earthlings....My wife and I are also very interested in the Alto and are trying to figure out which on to get,if that is possible with the amount of interest and the fact that they are only available from the factory. That was in the email I just received from Daniel Perron, Sales Rep for Alto. Alto 1713,1723,or 1743...that is the question.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #55

Hi to Alto owners in Asheville. I live in GSO and will be in the area over July 4th weekend. If there's a chance to come see your Alto over that weekend, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #56
SIB

Hi
If anyone here is interested, I have a 2015 Safari Condo Alto for sale. It's only been used once, almost new. Listed at $32,500 and has several upgrades such as
  • Double Folding Aluminum Bike Rack
  • Microwave
  • Removable Awning
  • Hitch head and Weight Distribution Bars
Please feel free to let me know if you or anyone you know might be interested.
Suzan