Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Big window problems

Yikes,
We had a "stress fracture" of our 09 HR Neptune in May and finally got it back with a new window in it in August. Went out this morning and there is a crack in the window again. Has anyone had this problem?

AndyandPatty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Hi AndyandPatty,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't personally had the problem, but know of a coach that was having a similar problem. In that case, it turned out to be a structural problem in the side of the coach. Can you see any cracks, bends, delamination, etc, close to the window or toward the bootm of that side?

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the boot around the window is pulling off, leaving a gap.
I've been reading info on some of the other forums about window problems and it seems that you should not use the auto jack system but rather use the manual system.'

Andy&Patty
07 Holiday Rambler Neptune XL 36'
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim and Lynda,
Thanks for the reply. I see you travel with your pets. Glad to here. We've been rv'ing for a few years and travel with our two mini dachs (Baxter and Maddie), Weezer the simomese and Granite the African grey parrot. What a pack.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #5

Hi AndyandPatty,

Yes, we travel with our kids, of course, we're lucky, they allow us to travel with them :-). When the engine starts, if they are not in the coach, they would destroy the house door to get to it.

Good luck with your window problem. For what it's worth, we don't use the automatic levelers. We always manually level ours. Our Power Gear jacks are designed so the 2 front jacks share the same lift solenoid and work together. We have been told to always lower the front jacks to lift the coach a couple of inches before you lower the rear jacks. In our case the rear jacks control the left / right pitch of the coach, and the front jacks adjust to that pitch. If you raise the back jacks without rasing the front jacks, then adjust the pitch, it can cause frame twist. If it's bad enough it can cause the windshield to pop out some. We have a friend that had that exact problem on thier gas unit. As a result, we play it safe.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Jim and Lynda
Thank you so much for the info on the jacks. We will only use manual leveling. I wish we had known this before. I hope the place that replaced our window will redo it.

Andy and Patty
07 HR Neptune XL
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyandPatty View Post
Jim and Lynda
Thank you so much for the info on the jacks. We will only use manual leveling. I wish we had known this before. I hope the place that replaced our window will redo it.

Andy and Patty
07 HR Neptune XL
Good luck on a redo, HR are one of the ones that are known for popping out the windshield due to not leveling to their procedure.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Window problems can and do occur with torquing of the coach while leveling. There is another issue which also can cause problems with your windows, ie: insufficient connection of the basement to the chassis. The fix for this is called X Bracing.

I learned when coaches are built, they start with a chassis which has 2 frame rails which will support the floor. The house is built up and the basement down. If the basement is not tied to the frame, the movement can and does cause window problems.

We are a 45' and just paid $400 to have windows reset after driving slowly through a shallow ditch. My bad for driving through it and considering how much we twisted from front to read I think I'm lucky I didn't have to buy new glass.

No guarantee this is correct but something to consider. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good luck Andy on finding the correct solution.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window