Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
We spent tooooo much money on our coach to let her sit for any reason, especially salt on the roads. I did not notice any rust on the undercarriage until the 8th year of owning it, and I just used a grinder on some, then a Rustoleum coating on the rest. I have had the same mechanic check it for rust and related problems every time he performs the annual maintenance.

I have seen large road signs advertising undercarriage washing and rinsing at semi truck washes, but never tried them. I do wash/rinse the undercarriage as soon as it is warm enough at home. We may travel any month of the year, that is why we bought the coach in the first place.

Bruce

They have them for boat's also (So I have been told). Some marinas have a dock that you can pull in and the brushes under the water take all the junk off the bottom.
I can see your point on the salt. We just haven't had the funds to go anywhere in the winter sad to say. But we are going too do it this year leaving day after Christmas.
I do have and have used a few can's of spray paint every summer too. I am lucky there isn't that much on her and after 32 years I thought there would have been more.
Have you tried the ones that have the Primer /Paint all in 1 can? I do they work pretty good.
Happy Holiday's,
Tim,

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
They have them for boat's also (So I have been told). Some marinas have a dock that you can pull in and the brushes under the water take all the junk off the bottom.
I can see your point on the salt. We just haven't had the funds to go anywhere in the winter sad to say. But we are going too do it this year leaving day after Christmas.
I do have and have used a few can's of spray paint every summer too. I am lucky there isn't that much on her and after 32 years I thought there would have been more.
Have you tried the ones that have the Primer /Paint all in 1 can? I do they work pretty good.
Happy Holiday's,
Tim,
Hi, Tim!

I used "X-O Rust", which is a primer and paint all in one, comes in a spray can or the kind you brush on. However, I had to grind the rust off first, since this is a direct-to-metal paint. Rustoleum makes a product that you can spray directly on rust called "Rust Reformer", but I am still old-school enough to try to grind the rust away first! Oh, I also have an adult son that moved back home for a while, and he loves doing stuff like this. It took the 2 of us only about 4 hours to do the entire undercarriage, and most of the rust was along the leading edge of the frame, especially under the compartments.

My coach is almost 10-years old, so you should feel great about yours! Wow, 32-years! That is 4 years older than my son, let me know if you want to borrow him to work on your coach!

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote