Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #1

Having had countless problems with a pickup as a TV, I finally tossed it aside and bought a TV that will really do the job. Here's a pic:[IMG]

I encourage anyone who's pulling a large 5er to consider an HDT. They're more capable than any pickup, longer lived than any MDT, and more comfortable than any tow vehicle on the road.

On this vehicle, one rear axel will be removed, the frame will be shortened, and the top faring . It will be left as a Class 7 that's only 12" longer than an F550 and just slightly over 10; tall. While drivng without the 5er, it will be short enough to park in any parking lot. The only exception will be parkng structures, which I am already excluded from entering much of the time in the F550.

Towing will also be a dream with a real engine brake, not an exhaust brake. With 400 hp and 1450 ft#'s of torque, it will pull the 5er without hesitation, and it won't have a problem stopping with brakes designed to stop an 80,000# load. I'm just waiting for the day I can tow to the Eisenhower tunnel, instead of dreading the trip.

Just thought I'd share the picture and perhaps make some people aware of an option that's available, but not widely known.

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #2

Having had countless problems with a pickup as a TV, I finally tossed it aside and bought a TV that will really do the job. Here's a pic:[IMG]

I encourage anyone who's pulling a large 5er to consider an HDT. They're more capable than any pickup, longer lived than any MDT, and more comfortable than any tow vehicle on the road.

On this vehicle, one rear axel will be removed, the frame will be shortened, and the top faring . It will be left as a Class 7 that's only 12" longer than an F550 and just slightly over 10; tall. While drivng without the 5er, it will be short enough to park in any parking lot. The only exception will be parkng structures, which I am already excluded from entering much of the time in the F550.

Towing will also be a dream with a real engine brake, not an exhaust brake. With 400 hp and 1450 ft#'s of torque, it will pull the 5er without hesitation, and it won't have a problem stopping with brakes designed to stop an 80,000# load. I'm just waiting for the day I can tow to the Eisenhower tunnel, instead of dreading the trip.

Just thought I'd share the picture and perhaps make some people aware of an option that's available, but not widely known.

Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #3

Nice rig.I envy you.
Your certainly doing it right in my opinion

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a medical condition called "truck envy?"
That is a great tow vehicle.
Chet
Old 12-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #5

If you plan to leave your unreliable F550 with all the mounds and mounds of wrapping paper by the curb from your new Christmas gift let me know where to pick it up. I'll be glad to get it off your hands so you don't have to pay tipping fees for all the extra tonage refuse....

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 05:14 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96PSD:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How are you doing 96PSD! It's nice to hear from you at this time of the year. I appreciate all of the iRV2 members that I have met over the years ans I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 05:38 AM   #7

Garth, very nice looking tractor, if that's the rig you dreamed about, I'am sure you will be very happy with it, congratulations on getting this huge Christmas present from Santa, all I got was a pair of socks and a necktie. Ed
Old 12-25-2004, 07:22 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Sweet! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new TV/RV puller....

Check in with the gang over on the Escapees BB --- MDT and HDT forums...

A couple of HDT rally's coming up in 2005 that may interest you as well.

don
(White Christmas here in the Texas Valley)...
Old 12-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW! Awesome rig. I work for the largest institutional food distributor in the country and we just recently switched over to Volvo. Our drivers like them alot. Looks like you will have one sweet setup! Congrats on your decision!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #10

Hi Driver,
As you can probably deduct from me leaving Harrisburg early 2 years ago for work it really hasn't stopped. I have my first Christmas off in 10 years only to be couped up in bed sick, go figure. As you can see though I upgraded a while ago from my HitchHikerII but still have my workhorse of a tow vehicle. I'll see you in Lancaster for sure if not earlier somewhere else. Merry Christmas

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:52 AM   #11

Very very sharp looking truck!!! I too am envious! Is there a N14 Cummins in it?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #12

Really great looking truck!

Please excuse my dumb question though!
Do you convert the 5er to run air brakes, or just retro fit a Prodigy/Jordan/etc ?

Mike.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't hardly type for all of the slobber on the keyboard...gonna run my computer and it is all your fault.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #14

....almost as good as seeeeex!..geof kaye