Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
davdeb1, your coach looks good for 12 yrs. old, well, the stains on my driveway is not hydraulic fluid but anti-freeze, I tightened up the clamps on the hoses where the fluid is coming from but there are still a few spots up front where the switches for the various heat/air adj. are made. Oh well!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry for your troubles tjsouth51, it troubles me to here stories like this, they are way to common!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
just at the wrong place at the wrong time!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #60

tjsouth,

Hang in there. I know first hand that it sucks when you have a brand new expensive toy that you can't use because fixing things that shouldn't be wrong in the first place takes forever. However, don't think that this is an isolated case and you have a lemon you should get rid of. Unfortunately that is the state of the industry. Buying new means you have to identify all these issues and wait for warranty repairs. There is a reason for that one year warranty. As soon as you start driving down the road things shake loose and settle, needing repair. Imagine putting your house on a big trailer and taking it down the road, you don't think some things would come apart?

Look at the bright side though. You got a great deal on a brand new rig that you really wanted. The warranty repairs are free (minus the hassle of going back and forth to the dealership.) Once you are done with all the initial stuff, you will be able to enjoy your rig with the confidence that you have personally identified everything wrong with it and had it corrected. There will come a day (for me it was about 6 months in) that you will go on a road trip and not find a single thing wrong with your rig. Although initially as miffed as you are now, I am really happy to have gone through this process. It was a learning experience, an education on everything about my rig, and in the end I am happy with the product.

Also, check your state laws on warranties. Several states extend your warranty by the amount of time the rig spends in the shop for warranty repairs. So, while the rig being in the shop for a month is a hassle, it gives you another month of warranty on the tail end. At least for me (CA) that is a bonus I like.

Anyways, chin up, this too shall pass, and all that good stuff
Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now that is a positive spin, ditto what he said!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
thanks all, this has been a definite learning experience. I just finished up winterizing it just in case I don't head south soon.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #63

tjsouth51, Is your rig a Thor? I am interested because DW and I are going to be looking next year to upgrade our Allegro. I realize all MFG. will have there problems one way or another, but is this an indication of how Thor builds their rigs, and more so, their customer "after they got your money" service? Sad you had to winterize. Best of Luck!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
It's a Thor, the switch and slide motor being electrical can go at any time, I know that. The leaking jack and the the plugged hydraulic line I blame on Lippert who makes the jack and the plugged line is the fault of the installer or the company that makes the hyd. lines. It's a nice coach, too bad I haven't had the chance to use it since the end of August. tim
Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts, just 15 Minutes South of Tax Free New Hampshire & 30 minutes North of Boston!
I too decided to buy used for all the reasons mentioned here. I bought a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton on E Bay through a local dealer. I believe I got a great deal, $82,000 with under 25,000 miles. I have had issues, but the seller repaired most at his cost. I had my Truck mechanic go thru the chassis. I still have some minor issues and may take it to Tiffin directly. On the whole, I am happy and have an awesome coach! I'm a perfectionist so will need to replace some things that probably wouldn't bother most folks, but I'm used to me so I'll do it to keep me happy! I did buy an extended warrantee, nervously after reading many posts about the failings. I hope I NEVER have to find out if it was worth it, but if I do need to call I also hope they live up to the promises made at time of purchase! Thank you all for sharing!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee
tjsouth51, Is your rig a Thor? I am interested because DW and I are going to be looking next year to upgrade our Allegro. I realize all MFG. will have there problems one way or another, but is this an indication of how Thor builds their rigs, and more so, their customer "after they got your money" service? Sad you had to winterize. Best of Luck!
Not to knock the Thor, but they are not an upgrade to a Tiffin. Just my .02. The only reason I say anything, is because you were looking to upgrade.
The Thor is a great value for the money, just not an "upgrade coach".
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't think anyone would argue, you got a great deal on a Phaeteon, if it is a DP.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts, just 15 Minutes South of Tax Free New Hampshire & 30 minutes North of Boston!
I don't think anyone would argue, you got a great deal on a Phaeteon, if it is a DP.

It's probably obvious to most davdeb1, but what is DP?
I purchased a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH for $82,000
It's always good to know one got a good deal. Having done a fair amount of looking over the last year or so I was excited to find this motor home on E bay and local too. The seller, Autowright in Boylston Ma where terrific through the entire process. I didn't get the home for 2 months while waiting for repairs, then I had more issues (plumbing related) and again Autowright stepped up and took care of the issues, certainly above and beyond as I did buy it well below book AND at auction! I generally purchase used trucks for my business knowing I will have issues, but dollar wise it has panned out. I made an exception 3 years ago and bought a new F550. First the Turbos had to be replaced, it was repeatedly back in the shop for repairs until last year when they finally replaced the engine. The moral of this story is new or used your going to have issues that tend to make the experience unpleasant! Motor Home related, I am banking on all these posts that say it will get better! Again thanks and I hope that TJSouth gets to the point we all read about when he can enjoy the coach!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Sometimes I am so daft! DP= diesel pusher!!!! and of course it is! sorry about that. Shoulda had the second cup of coffee before trying to function!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #70

Davdeb1, I realize that a Thor isn't an upgrade to a Tiffin, based on brand. What I meant when I stated looking to upgrade is that our rig is a 2000, 31ft. gas. We are looking to go up to 34-36ft and nothing older than a 2007. Haven't decided yet on gas or DP, I guess that will depend on what we find. Like everyone else of course we have a budget of what we are looking to spend. Thats why this and other forums provide such a service as you get input from the people who own different brand rigs. Winter sucks but gives you time to shop!