Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

My 1979 "New" Apollo 3300 IB !!!

A meticulously maintained '79 Apollo.
It's beautiful inside and out!
Dodge M600 Chassis w/ Ford 460/C6
New 19.5 Michelins w/ Alcoas
320 watts of Solar power
Electric leveling jacks
Queen Bed/Full Bath with tub/shower
6.5 Onan
New Norcold Refer
Very"Brady" inside, very clean
All bought for the cost of a very nice Digital BigScreen entertainment system!!!!
Indy 500 here we come...(ok, it's 10 miles away...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00014.jpg
Views:	2489
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	8417  
jwvette77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

Wow, how "COOL" is that!!!! Very nice. Make many happy memories. BTW I would love to be in the infield myself some day.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats. Let's see some interior photos.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Nice looking older unit. Looks like its in good shape. You got one helluva deal there. woody62
woody62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Very Cool!! Enjoy!!!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
WOW!! Very cool!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

Nice job on the purchase, and I am envious of your location.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh Yeah! LUV those old Apollos!

I gotta ask, though. You say it has the Dodge chassis (typical for the Apollo) but that it has a Ford 460 and C6 tranny. If that is true, then a previous owner must have swapped out the drivetrain. Not a bad thing if it was done right.

Enjoy your 'new' motohome!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Oh Yeah! LUV those old Apollos!

I gotta ask, though. You say it has the Dodge chassis (typical for the Apollo) but that it has a Ford 460 and C6 tranny. If that is true, then a previous owner must have swapped out the drivetrain. Not a bad thing if it was done right.

Enjoy your 'new' motohome!

Yes, the 440 was swapped for commercial Ford460/C6 combo.
It looks like it was done pretty well, I have a few "extra" wires under the dash- but they seem to be related to the heater and blower which are gone now.
I have records for it for the last 160+ tankfuls of gas, gas mileage/air temp/city/miles logged etc.and every receipt you
could imagine for it. I am glad a former Fire Chief owned it!!!
From what I can the motor is out of another RV off a John Deere Chassis, and has had nothing but synthetic Mobil 1 run thru it. I have every receipt. and, I also have another receipt and I am trying to decipher it- but the 460 may have been bored .030 over and crank kit added so I don't know what that makes it.- a 471/472 ??? I dunno.
I haven't figured out a date code on the engine, but "smog" accessories seem none existent.
Chassis is tip-top, just had chassis serviced, all bearings lubed, brakes checked, oil changed, brakes electronically checked here and Indy Brake and Spring.
It had a slight pull, but they did there computer alignment magic and it really drives very well.
So- The engine swap looks to have been done very well, the only thing I don't have is dash a/c and heat which doesn't phase me too much. I can put that back in if I feel like it, and I'd be using the roof AC's more anyway.

The most major "upgrade" I did, and I only did it because I can get them really cheap are swapping out the original furnaces. The original Coleman 22000btus (2 of them) were junk, so I replaced one with a Suburban 30k BTU and the other with a Suburban 20K BTU and added an extra duct to the 30k unit. Amazing the markup on these things, but when you know someone who works at an RV manufacturer- it helps.

the other "broke" item is two front electric jacks- the rears work. So they are old Atwood units, I just need to find working units that work with my controller....or ignore it.????

It also had an Olympic Catalytic heater, but it needed replaced as I found out it is 18 years old, and it has a bad t-couple. So I will either put in a new Wave 6 heater or a ProComm Heater. (feel free to add in your 2 cents here, on what is a better choice)

All in all, I think it's going to be a fun little toy. My next "stage" is to upgrade the entertainment system to a better head unit, and add a flat screen that isn't to obtrusive.

I will get interior shots up soon.
There is an "Apollo Motorhome" user group on Facebook with some cool shots.

Hey- I see you have a Coachmen Santara 360 MB- that is alot of rig for the money. I like those rigs.

JW
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
320 watts of Solar??? WOW!!!! I want to see pictures of your roof top solar grid and what kind of controller do you have?
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
320 watts of Solar??? WOW!!!! I want to see pictures of your roof top solar grid and what kind of controller do you have?

I think I got that wrong, (I was on my 3rd Warstiener) -there's what looks to be (2) 75 watt panels up there now. (you just barely can see the ugly angle-iron rack up top in the photo, (but it does tilt)), and the controller is rated for another 150 watts. Doubt I 'll add any more panels- but I would like to re-mount the panels a little "cleaner"- as this "rack" thing puts my clearance at like 10'6", and messes with the Apollo's smooth lines...

I haven't figured out exactly what 150 watts does for me yet, other than charge the coach batteries. but regardless- I'd like to figure out a better way to mount the panels, and remove the galvanized steel rack thing. (which actually looks to be pretty darn bullet proof). Hey, I am smart enough to know the previous owner was way smarter than me on this stuff and not to jack up his good work!

So any input on a better way to mount the panels is appreciated.

thanks- JW
Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #12

Is that the coach that was up for sale south of Indy?
Almost bought it, two different times about 1 year apart.....
mercdeuceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercdeuceman View Post
Is that the coach that was up for sale south of Indy?
Almost bought it, two different times about 1 year apart.....

It may have been the one. It was out by Greensburg, and that guy had only had it a year. There is also one (1978) out in Fountaintown, IN at corner of SR52 and 9.....sitting of course, not sure if it was ever for sale.
It seems to be in pretty good shape, just needed a really thorough cleaning, and some typical repairs you see on a 32 yr old motorhome.
It's starting to stand tall, then it leaked some pee.....
Found an old patch that needs repaired correctly this time, nothing major.
Haven't done anything to outside yet, it needs a good buffing as well.

JW
Old 04-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #14

Congrat's --- I just love rigs that have been kept up --- Yours looks great !!! --- Enjoy and travel safe --- Send pictures of inside if you can --- Again good looking motorhome.
RoamingGr1 is offline   Reply With Quote