Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

My First RV - vintage

It's a 75 Dodge 360 Sportsman with V8 dual exhaust and a Triple E Mikmak camper.

What can I say I bought what I could afford but it really has a lot of charm! I like to think I'm mechanically inclined so I figured I could make it work for us. I was pleasantly surprised at how little it $ it will need for safety. Now if I can just solve the electrical problems I will be halfway to the lake.

My hunting buddy was over the other day and OK he had a bit to drink but he almost cried when he saw it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #2

Looks good from here.

That van chassis should come with a 400 or 440 engine. They were a bit weezy in 75 but can easily be woken up if the hills make her struggle.

What kind of electrical issues are you dealing with?

Martinsburg West Virginia
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler62 View Post
Looks good from here.

That van chassis should come with a 400 or 440 engine. They were a bit weezy in 75 but can easily be woken up if the hills make her struggle.

What kind of electrical issues are you dealing with?
Hmmm the previous owner who had it for 15 years told me it's a Dodge 360 but he is the first to admit he does not mechanically inclined whatsoever. Wonder how I could tell for sure?

Electrical issues are: none of the clearance lights work, neither wiper nor washer fluid works, one tail light out (probably just a bulb), fuel guage doesnt work, and dash lights don't work. I checked the fuses under the dash and the 2 fuses under the hood. Tore down the dash and did not notice anything obvious. Electrical is not something I know how to troubleshoot. I posted a question about this in the vintage RV forum as well. Thanks.

I was told that I may have a "house" battery in addition to the truck battery but I have not located that yet.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge75 View Post
Hmmm the previous owner who had it for 15 years told me it's a Dodge 360 but he is the first to admit he does not mechanically inclined whatsoever. Wonder how I could tell for sure?

Electrical issues are: none of the clearance lights work, neither wiper nor washer fluid works, one tail light out (probably just a bulb), fuel guage doesnt work, and dash lights don't work. I checked the fuses under the dash and the 2 fuses under the hood. Tore down the dash and did not notice anything obvious. Electrical is not something I know how to troubleshoot. I posted a question about this in the vintage RV forum as well. Thanks.

I was told that I may have a "house" battery in addition to the truck battery but I have not located that yet.
Probably a 360. Fuel gauge is a known issue in this vintage, the sender is most likely the problem, 36 gal tank needs to drop to replace. Look nice, have fun!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great looking rig, congrats! Many times the house batteries are under the steps. Have fun. (The house batteries would not affect the fuel gauge, wipers, etc.)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #6

I'll agree with everything said. Thought it was a heavier chassis.

Your dash lights are likely a poor chassis ground., could be the same for the markers. Automotive accessory lighting is almost always only fed a positive side wire and then returns through the nearest convenient chassis ground.

To verify that -- take the cover off one of the clearance lamps (they are probably in series so you want the one at the beginning of the daisy chain if possible) and run a wire from a good chassis ground to the bucket the bulb is in. If it lights up you know you are chasing a return. If it doesn't then verify the positive feed to ground with a meter or test light.

Martinsburg West Virginia
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! I will post updates onto my post in the vintage section.

Tags
vintage