Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #71

Great American Road Trip-Our Excursion Update

Welcome to the Excursion family Kensroomie!! I really like the new floorplans like the 35B. Those of you in the market for an Excursion -I would check out the new 33D floor plan. It has a nice bedroom slide. Overall I really still like the 33A for us-we love how the L-shaped couch with the front chairs creates a really cool living space -no hallway affect like alot of RVs.

Here's an update on our Excursion journey so far this summer:
  • In late May/early June we traveled 4,000 miles from our home base of Ohio to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Dinosaur National Monument, and various campgrounds in Colorado (and a whole bunch of roadside kitchy things). My wife and I and four kids lived 18 days in the RV and it was great. The kids became National Park junior rangers and loved the outdoors. But during "boring parts of the drive" the TV (nicely positioned on the side of the coach with the 33A) came down and they played Xbox games while I drove down the road. The coach drove great through the mountains -no white knuckle driving with the exhaust brake. I towed our CRV the whole way too. The Excursion drove great the whole trip. I have my tire sweetspot 90 PSI on the front tires and 100 PSI on the back duals -makes me feel like I am riding on butter...
  • I had to take the coach to Fleetwood service in Indiana for a couple of minor odds and ends last week and they were great as usual. These folks will take care of you well. I have my Freightliner service done there too.
  • We are doing our regular state park camping now on the weekends. In a few weeks the Excursion will go on a Ferry to South Bass State Park (Put -in-Bay Island) -one of the Lake Erie Islands. Can't wait to see the RV get its first boat ride.
  • I have attached a few pics of our adventures.
No matter your brand or type of RV -they are great to build lots of great memories with the family. I hope all of you are doing the same! I will be glad to answer any questions for those of you contemplating purchasing. Also for owners, as an IT technical person, I have learned alot about this coach too so if I can help will be glad to -I have to admit I am becoming a RV Nerd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVM1-MuellerSP-PikesPeak.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	42073   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVM3-SteamboatLakeSP-Colorado.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	42075  

Name:	RVM4-ColterBay Grand Teton NP.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	42076   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVM5-RockyMountainHigh.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	42077  

Name:	RVM6-FishingBridgeCG-Yellowstone.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	42078   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVM7-CampWalMart.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	42079  

Name:	RVM9-SteamBoatLakeColorado.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	42081   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVM10-RVStowaways.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	42082  

Name:	RVM11-JollyGreenGiant-BlueEarthMN.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	42087   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVM12-CusterStatePark-SD.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	42088  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #72

Wow! These are some very nice rigs. My question to those with kids is, being that there is no real dining area (with exception to the counter area) does eating meals together get a bit cramped?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #73

Awesome RV! And great pictures!! Enjoy and have lots of fun!!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfamily View Post
Wow! These are some very nice rigs. My question to those with kids is, being that there is no real dining area (with exception to the counter area) does eating meals together get a bit cramped?
The 35b has 2 stools for eating at kitchen bar, a pull-out table next to pantry with 2 chairs stored under bed and a stored table that goes between driver/passenger seats that, when swiveled, makes a third eating area. In addition, we always carry snack trays which can provide additional eating at sofa and recliner so you could optimally sleep 6 and feed 9. Truly, it's very well designed.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #75

Thanks for the info. Any chance you want to give more details about any issues you or other new Excursion owner have had?? The closest dealer from me is 95 miles away so getting service would require some miles Thanks.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #76

There was a problem with DEF gauge which delayed delivery for almost 2 weeks. The dealer sent it to Freightliner who took 9 days! The first part ordered was wrong part, so dealer took another '14 Excursion to them to switch out gauge and Freightliner claimed it was faulty as well. Due to July 4th holiday and weekends, the part didn't arrive until Monday. Dealer compensated us for expenses and even provided a loaner so we could enjoy holiday camping as planned. We live in Houston area and there is not a reputable dealer service for any brand motorhome...can you believe it?!? We checked them all out when shopping and were amazed. We opted to purchase from Ancira in Boerne, TX which is 250 miles from home. They have another dealership outside Ft. worth and car dealerships around Texas. Our friends have had serious issues with their 2013 American Revolution and American Coach told them Ancira was the best service center so they have an appointment. If you're contemplating a new coach, be sure to investigate all user reviews. At first we were skeptical, but after visiting local dealers and talking to other owners, those reviews were spot on. Will keep posting on this blog as we enjoy our Excursion. Our opinion is it offers a lot of bang for the buck while carrying the Fleetwood quality and reputation. Hope this helps with your decision. Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #77

As far as our Excursion quality and experience I think what helps is to have the right mindset. My first RV was a Gas Thor Class A. When the Thor had its normal share of problems it freaked me out a bit as a newbie RV owner. A newbie RV owner can often have expectations that RVs will have low issues or hardly any repairs like a car. Not the case at all with a RV. Its a complex machine and the "opportunity defects" are high. So you have to take any issues with stride.

The key thing is to have a place where you can feel good about taking it to get fixed. Ironically I have taken my coach to the Fleetwood factory (2 hours drive one way) because I usually can get in there sooner than dealers. Also I feel like I have that manufacturer direct quality level of service -they made it so they should know the best how to fix it. I have a new RV dealer nearer to me that can now take it to service it on minor things.

As far as issues with the coach they are definitely less than with the Thor unit (11). I feel overall the Excursion is just built more solid. The issues I have had (2) -Fleetwood has resolved (even some that crept over my 1 year warranty deadline) were:

1) the wrong control module for my inverter was installed at the factory-they replaced it and since has worked great

2) that inverter issue drained my batteries thus causing some charge issues so they replaced all six

There were other things that I probably caused and they fixed under warranty anyway! They truly stick behind their product -even at the service staff level. I have never had to escalate anything. Plus they have a campground at the service center that you can stay at (50 amp electric only). When you call their 800 number for questions the folks on the phone are helpful too.

I am sure there are other brands just as good. But if you are asking if Fleetwood is a good bet for quality of product and standing behind their product? I can say in the last 14 months I've lived it and say yes.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice looking rigs. We have had our 2013 35B since oct 2012 and love every thing about. The floor plan is great. We do a lot of dry camping at nascar and Indy races. We added 2 solar panels and they work great. These new floor plans work great for family trips. They sleep 6 comfortably. Enjoy the new rigs !!!!

Ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #79

Does the 33 and 35 series Excursions have disc brakes on the front wheels? I read that Thor had Freightliner downgrade the front brakes to durm type....just wondering....Gee, my 1999 Bounder V10 Ford has disc up front. I also read that Thor downgraded some of the frame items to save money.

As you see in my signature, I live two miles from Boerne, TX and two miles from Ancira RV...I did not buy my Bounder from them as they were just building their plant, but bought the Fleetwood dealer out when they retired and so I "kinda" got my Bounder from them. They are a fine group...good pricing, good service and they smile a lot.

I actually like the Palazzo 33.1 floorplan but would buy (still thinking) from Ancira for the service, pricing and Fleetwood QC vs Thor. I have bought two cars and a truck from Mr. Ancira's car lots....just good people.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #80

Hi George. First of all, you live in a beautiful area! We moved to Lake Conroe to be close to our son in Houston, but there's nothing more beautiful than TX Hill Country. Don't know about brakes. Hubby not available to respond but I checked brochure and it says disc brakes. I know there are air brakes and a jake brake, but otherwise I can't answer for sure about the 35B Excursion. We, too, looked at the Thor Palazzo (36 ft), but the dealer in Houston has a terrible reputation. Also, the 36 ft Palazzo has the extra half bath, which we felt was wasted space. It also had a dinette booth and we preferred a table with free-standing chairs. More comfy and makes for more room sinc table pushes in and chairs store. Did like the rear bath across back of Palazzo, but felt the Excursion was better quality. Prices were about the same but, again, Ancira was far more generous on our trade and we felt better about their service and reputation. If you're in the market for a new rig, please check Steve Lyons at Ancira. Tell him Ken & Linda Hayes referred you. He's not your typical salesman, but more like your favorite next door neighbor.....and, in your case, Ancira is almost just that! Good luck with your search.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #81

Linda, as said earlier, I live two miles from Ancira RV Sales. This morning I looked on the Fleetwood web site and the Excursion floor plans....WOW, they have added a fourth floorplan for 2014...a 33D. I called my sales friend there and said call me when you get a 33D in....he said come on over, one came in yesterday...it has not been cleaned up we can look at it. I have not been in it yet. It is what we are looking for. We like a dinette, shower with a seat, res. fridge, etc....wife and I will go over tomorrow and look at it after I get back from my motorcycle ride with my buddies...the Hill Country Road Riders....the youngest in our group is in his late 50's. In the morning we will got the Cowboy Capital of the World, Bandera, TX and have breakfast...but taking the long route to get there...ha ha

Anyway, it has a washer/dryer, drop down bed that we don't need with just wife and I. It is on their website virtual tour...black interior etc. Pretty.

The wife just got promoted to supervisor on the second shift at the sawmill so the money is rolling in.

Thanks for the disc brake info....much better than drum brakes.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #82

Cool beans, George. Our coach has black interior too...very rich looking! And the residential Whirlpool fridge is awesome. Like you, we weren't interested in drop down bunk, but wait until you see how roomy it is. We're taking our g'daughter & friend (10 yr old...pray for me!) on a 2-night trip and the bunk is a much better option than tripping over a sofa bed. You will love the new Excursion....first class all the way. Only downside so far might be the Splendide washer/dryer combo. Heard they leave much to be desired. When you see it, you'll understand why. Like washing clothes in a goldfish bowl! LOL. Have fun on your bike ride and keep the rubber to the road. Let us know if you decide on the 35D. We told our son we were camping in his inheritance -ha!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #83

Thanks for your residential fridge comments...I know the Palazzo has it as standard, but it is optional on the Excursion. As I can not be away from the house more than six or seven days, we don't need a washer/dryer and our children are grown and live at both ends of the country so tripping with anyone is not likely so I would have to order the 33D without the bed @ $2288 and washer @ $1716...just not needed. I would get the res. fridge however....wow are the batteries to run it in a crowded in place. I would be interested in how you (husband) and others deal with checking battery water, etc.

I just spent a few minutes in the unit yesterday as it was so hot that I was not having much fun....I don't have to tell you about heat...ha ha I plan on taking the wife over but will have them fire up the a/c, otherwise her attention span will be -0...ha ha

She loves our Bounder and I am not getting much "oh gee, a new DP would be fun", however we will talk about it and see how it goes.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #84

Know what you mean about the washer. Would personally rather have a wardrobe or night stand, but might come in handy for a very small load. We traded a 2012 24 ft Jamboree that was just too small, but instead of a bunk, the cab over was a pretty sophisticated entertainment center. We probably won't use the bunk often, but it is pretty cool when you see it down. Since our 2014 Excursion is a 35B, we have about 3 more feet to play around with than what you're looking at so I think the batteries are more accessible. We wanted the extra room and liked the expanded kitchen counter and living area in the 35B. However, everyone's needs are different, hence the variety of floor plans. We have only slept in ours one night and drove it 250 miles home. Husband says it handles beautifully. Anxious to hook up the tow....which was another new purchase...a Jeep Wrangler 4 dr 4x4. Hey, like I said.....we're spending our son's inheritance! Bet when your wife sees the Excursion, she'll fall in love with it. No comparison between a DP and gas engine. Good luck, and please post if and when you get it. Always fun comparing notes! BTW, our traveling companion is a Yorkie named "Harley". Told my husband that was the closest he was ever gonna get to having a Harley!! LOL

Tags
fleetwood