Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do they come with a side radiator or are they in the rear. Don't like standing on my head to fix anything.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Do they come with a side radiator or are they in the rear. Don't like standing on my head to fix anything.
To my knowledge no side radiator however many of the service items can be accessed from underneath.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
To my knowledge no side radiator however many of the service items can be accessed from underneath.
Jack, what service items do you access from underneath? I know changing oil, but what else. I ask as I have a bad knee (Korean War) and can not get down on knees, etc....getting up is worse...ha ha

If I buy a 33.1 Palazzo, I plan to have local diesel shop do oil, filters, etc. My CW is 50 miles from me. As a note, I rode my motorcycle to New Braunfels, TX yesterday with my riding group for breakfast. After eating I went to Camping World just down the road. I visited with the service manager about "quality control" issues. He said he sees better QC on the newer Palazzo's.

They have a huge service garage....like 16-18 service bays. He said with appointments, they take units purchased there first, but folks on the road get priority service. I certainly agree on this. I was impressed with the service "attitude" and willingness to share his experience on my several questions.

Somewhere here I read that Thor has "relocated" the batteries some way in the Palazzo battery bay so they are easier to check. I can't find it...have you heard this?

Put up with me, I am still shopping and thinking.....ha ha
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis

Jack, what service items do you access from underneath? I know changing oil, but what else. I ask as I have a bad knee (Korean War) and can not get down on knees, etc....getting up is worse...ha ha

If I buy a 33.1 Palazzo, I plan to have local diesel shop do oil, filters, etc. My CW is 50 miles from me. As a note, I rode my motorcycle to New Braunfels, TX yesterday with my riding group for breakfast. After eating I went to Camping World just down the road. I visited with the service manager about "quality control" issues. He said he sees better QC on the newer Palazzo's.

They have a huge service garage....like 16-18 service bays. He said with appointments, they take units purchased there first, but folks on the road get priority service. I certainly agree on this. I was impressed with the service "attitude" and willingness to share his experience on my several questions.

Somewhere here I read that Thor has "relocated" the batteries some way in the Palazzo battery bay so they are easier to check. I can't find it...have you heard this?

Put up with me, I am still shopping and thinking.....ha ha
George,

Besides oil changes you can do the fuel filter, air cleaner can be accessed from below. I do not know of any service item you would need to service from the top?. I have a Cummings shop near me that work on Freightliner chassis as well as a Freightliner truck shop very near me that will service the chassis, Cummings engine and Allison transmission. I do not think I would take my MH to CW (2 hours away) for chassis work. I plan on visiting Freightliner factory in February for my first 1 year service. I am able to get under my MH but I doubt that I would be doing all my service.

Thanks!
Jack
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #33

Thanks, Jack. I live 30 miles from San Antonio Freightliner and Cummins dealers and would take my unit there for major chassis service....my local guy can do oil and filter changes and has a good DP business going. My friend takes his there for the "minor" service and is happy.

Saturday when I was at CW (50 miles) they had a used Palazzo 33.1 (2013 w/3,600 miles on it, flawless) and I looked at it. They had the slide in and I noted, as mentioned before, you could only open the refrigerator about a foot due to the couch. Have you found this to be a problem. We stop for a quick snacks and soda, but I could reach in and get stuff I guess...not a show stopper.

The CW sales person I know, said the Palazzo owner bought it there, drove it a few weeks and traded it on a 2013 40' Itaska, saying it was a little small for his needs....they want too much for it....I did not make them an offer because they would have taken it...ha ha I did not ask to see the repair/maintenance paperwork but I would think the little things have already been taken care of.

I have not made it to the custom RV shop to ask about replacing the fold couch/air matress, but will and will post my findings.

With your travels now, what has been your gas mileage. My Bounder V10 gets 7.5 in the flatlands, less in the hills....thanks for your posts...it helps all Palazzo owners and us wantabees....
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Thanks, Jack. I live 30 miles from San Antonio Freightliner and Cummins dealers and would take my unit there for major chassis service....my local guy can do oil and filter changes and has a good DP business going. My friend takes his there for the "minor" service and is happy.

Saturday when I was at CW (50 miles) they had a used Palazzo 33.1 (2013 w/3,600 miles on it, flawless) and I looked at it. They had the slide in and I noted, as mentioned before, you could only open the refrigerator about a foot due to the couch. Have you found this to be a problem. We stop for a quick snacks and soda, but I could reach in and get stuff I guess...not a show stopper.

The CW sales person I know, said the Palazzo owner bought it there, drove it a few weeks and traded it on a 2013 40' Itaska, saying it was a little small for his needs....they want too much for it....I did not make them an offer because they would have taken it...ha ha I did not ask to see the repair/maintenance paperwork but I would think the little things have already been taken care of.

I have not made it to the custom RV shop to ask about replacing the fold couch/air matress, but will and will post my findings.

With your travels now, what has been your gas mileage. My Bounder V10 gets 7.5 in the flatlands, less in the hills....thanks for your posts...it helps all Palazzo owners and us wantabees....
George:

We stop for lunch along the way and we can get into the frig to get drinks and stuff to make a sandwich without any problems. We do not find it to be an issue for us.

Just so you know I would be careful of a low mileage 2013 Palazzo with some BS story about the guy found it too small, etc. We got stung on my previous MH a 2010 Thor Serrano (purchased used with 1800 miles) with a BS story such as this (towed 3 times and in the shop 11 additional times in 4000 miles). First off the coach (Thor) warranty only applies to the first owner so for warranty you are on your own. I would prefer to buy one with 20000 miles then one with 3600 because I would bet that something is wrong. When I traded in my Serrano they did not ask one question as to why and they took it in trade without even walking through the MH. These guys knew that they could unload it to someone without any difficulty by providing some BS story that I traded it in on a newer, bigger something.

Without a TOAD I am averaging 11 MPG and this is based on the dashboard trip meter. I do track my mileage on an iPAD App and I have gotten as much as 12.3 MPG on a fill up with an average of 10.2 MPG. I think the difference has to do with not filling up to the exact same level each time and running the generator for the AC may have some impact on my calculated mileage. For now I am happy with the 11 + or - I am getting.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #35

You mentioned pulling a toad. Did I see a golf cart in those pics? If so, how do you transport the golfcart? Anyone?

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
You mentioned pulling a toad. Did I see a golf cart in those pics? If so, how do you transport the golfcart? Anyone?

Kathryn

~~~
Yes that was a golf cart I tow it on a 6x12 utility trailer, only take that to the privat campground we belong to, I pull the jeep every where else, might get a base plate for my f150 so I can pull that with the golf cart in the bed for our trips to other golf cart friendly camps
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They do sell lifts for the golf carts but I am not sure about that apparatus
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #38

Jack Arnold says: Just so you know I would be careful of a low mileage 2013 Palazzo with some BS story about the guy found it too small, etc. We got stung on my previous MH a 2010 Thor Serrano (purchased used with 1800 miles) with a BS story such as this (towed 3 times and in the shop 11 additional times in 4000 miles). First off the coach (Thor) warranty only applies to the first owner so for warranty you are on your own. I would prefer to buy one with 20000 miles then one with 3600 because I would bet that something is wrong. When I traded in my Serrano they did not ask one question as to why and they took it in trade without even walking through the MH. These guys knew that they could unload it to someone without any difficulty by providing some BS story that I traded it in on a newer, bigger something.

Good words, Jack. I don't think I would buy that unit as they have it priced too high and I, too, wondered about the "too small" trade in. If I buy, I will order and get exactly what I want. I know they will deal, but I can buy a new one for what they ask. I did not know about the "second owner warranty" thing...thanks.

As mentioned, today I went to Pipe Creek, TX and visited the Texas Custom Coach Company. The owner met me and treated me like I owned the place. I showed him the Family Motor Coach magazine Palazzo article and told him I might want the "couch" replaced with a "jack knife" couch and he said no problem and gave me a brochue of furniture to look at. He was proud of just being selected as a "Provost Custom Dealer" with signs in the office. As before, they get naked shells and build from the floor up. Wild.

They had a Prevost and several other high end coaches in work in the building. He said they were building the Provost for a "well known entertainer". It was a beautiful, nearly finished, coach.

He said he would do anything I wanted with the furniture and anything with a coach, as long as the money holds out....ha ha If I buy, I will repalce the couch and possibly the dinette....
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #39

Question Still learning about the Palazzo

Does the Palazzo furnace heat the under floor areas such as the water tanks and water lines? Or are they located in such a place as they are not likely to freeze if the temps drop for a short period of time? I'm looking at going to places that might get some lower temps for a short time such as S. Carolina but not long periods where one should winterize.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver-Max View Post
Does the Palazzo furnace heat the under floor areas such as the water tanks and water lines? Or are they located in such a place as they are not likely to freeze if the temps drop for a short period of time? I'm looking at going to places that might get some lower temps for a short time such as S. Carolina but not long periods where one should winterize.
It is my understanding that the tank area and the water lines are in a heated area but I have not confirmed this. You might want to ask this on the Thor threads under the topic Palazzo Q&A.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #41

Page 123 of the Thor Motor Coach Manual ( the second one with Tuscany/Astoria/Palazzo on the cover) says "the fresh water storage tank is located inside a lower storage compartment. The furnace will heat the fresh and waste water compartments. In severe cold weather however, it is wise to monitor the water temperature in the tank, and take appropriate steps to drain and winterize if necessary. In severe cold weather, it may also be necessary to open the lower cabinet doors at night in both the bath and kitchen areas to keep warmer air circulating around the water fixtures."
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #42

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom65 View Post
Page 123 of the Thor Motor Coach Manual ( the second one with Tuscany/Astoria/Palazzo on the cover) says "the fresh water storage tank is located inside a lower storage compartment. The furnace will heat the fresh and waste water compartments. In severe cold weather however, it is wise to monitor the water temperature in the tank, and take appropriate steps to drain and winterize if necessary. In severe cold weather, it may also be necessary to open the lower cabinet doors at night in both the bath and kitchen areas to keep warmer air circulating around the water fixtures."
When I bought our Palazzo (May 2012) a manual was not available and Thor stated they had no plans to develop one. I see one is now available but have not downloaded and printed the manual yet. Thanks for the info and I'll get the manual printed ASAP.