Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
rvjimmy's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Almond, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,455
Do they come with a side radiator or are they in the rear. Don't like standing on my head to fix anything.
__________________

__________________
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Do they come with a side radiator or are they in the rear. Don't like standing on my head to fix anything.
To my knowledge no side radiator however many of the service items can be accessed from underneath.
__________________

__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
To my knowledge no side radiator however many of the service items can be accessed from underneath.
Jack, what service items do you access from underneath? I know changing oil, but what else. I ask as I have a bad knee (Korean War) and can not get down on knees, etc....getting up is worse...ha ha

If I buy a 33.1 Palazzo, I plan to have local diesel shop do oil, filters, etc. My CW is 50 miles from me. As a note, I rode my motorcycle to New Braunfels, TX yesterday with my riding group for breakfast. After eating I went to Camping World just down the road. I visited with the service manager about "quality control" issues. He said he sees better QC on the newer Palazzo's.

They have a huge service garage....like 16-18 service bays. He said with appointments, they take units purchased there first, but folks on the road get priority service. I certainly agree on this. I was impressed with the service "attitude" and willingness to share his experience on my several questions.

Somewhere here I read that Thor has "relocated" the batteries some way in the Palazzo battery bay so they are easier to check. I can't find it...have you heard this?

Put up with me, I am still shopping and thinking.....ha ha
__________________
USAF Ret. Sony Corp. Ret.
1999 Bounder 34J, Ford V10
Boerne, TX
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis

Jack, what service items do you access from underneath? I know changing oil, but what else. I ask as I have a bad knee (Korean War) and can not get down on knees, etc....getting up is worse...ha ha

If I buy a 33.1 Palazzo, I plan to have local diesel shop do oil, filters, etc. My CW is 50 miles from me. As a note, I rode my motorcycle to New Braunfels, TX yesterday with my riding group for breakfast. After eating I went to Camping World just down the road. I visited with the service manager about "quality control" issues. He said he sees better QC on the newer Palazzo's.

They have a huge service garage....like 16-18 service bays. He said with appointments, they take units purchased there first, but folks on the road get priority service. I certainly agree on this. I was impressed with the service "attitude" and willingness to share his experience on my several questions.

Somewhere here I read that Thor has "relocated" the batteries some way in the Palazzo battery bay so they are easier to check. I can't find it...have you heard this?

Put up with me, I am still shopping and thinking.....ha ha
George,

Besides oil changes you can do the fuel filter, air cleaner can be accessed from below. I do not know of any service item you would need to service from the top?. I have a Cummings shop near me that work on Freightliner chassis as well as a Freightliner truck shop very near me that will service the chassis, Cummings engine and Allison transmission. I do not think I would take my MH to CW (2 hours away) for chassis work. I plan on visiting Freightliner factory in February for my first 1 year service. I am able to get under my MH but I doubt that I would be doing all my service.

Thanks!
Jack
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 348
Thanks, Jack. I live 30 miles from San Antonio Freightliner and Cummins dealers and would take my unit there for major chassis service....my local guy can do oil and filter changes and has a good DP business going. My friend takes his there for the "minor" service and is happy.

Saturday when I was at CW (50 miles) they had a used Palazzo 33.1 (2013 w/3,600 miles on it, flawless) and I looked at it. They had the slide in and I noted, as mentioned before, you could only open the refrigerator about a foot due to the couch. Have you found this to be a problem. We stop for a quick snacks and soda, but I could reach in and get stuff I guess...not a show stopper.

The CW sales person I know, said the Palazzo owner bought it there, drove it a few weeks and traded it on a 2013 40' Itaska, saying it was a little small for his needs....they want too much for it....I did not make them an offer because they would have taken it...ha ha I did not ask to see the repair/maintenance paperwork but I would think the little things have already been taken care of.

I have not made it to the custom RV shop to ask about replacing the fold couch/air matress, but will and will post my findings.

With your travels now, what has been your gas mileage. My Bounder V10 gets 7.5 in the flatlands, less in the hills....thanks for your posts...it helps all Palazzo owners and us wantabees....
__________________
USAF Ret. Sony Corp. Ret.
1999 Bounder 34J, Ford V10
Boerne, TX
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,454
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
Thanks, Jack. I live 30 miles from San Antonio Freightliner and Cummins dealers and would take my unit there for major chassis service....my local guy can do oil and filter changes and has a good DP business going. My friend takes his there for the "minor" service and is happy.

Saturday when I was at CW (50 miles) they had a used Palazzo 33.1 (2013 w/3,600 miles on it, flawless) and I looked at it. They had the slide in and I noted, as mentioned before, you could only open the refrigerator about a foot due to the couch. Have you found this to be a problem. We stop for a quick snacks and soda, but I could reach in and get stuff I guess...not a show stopper.

The CW sales person I know, said the Palazzo owner bought it there, drove it a few weeks and traded it on a 2013 40' Itaska, saying it was a little small for his needs....they want too much for it....I did not make them an offer because they would have taken it...ha ha I did not ask to see the repair/maintenance paperwork but I would think the little things have already been taken care of.

I have not made it to the custom RV shop to ask about replacing the fold couch/air matress, but will and will post my findings.

With your travels now, what has been your gas mileage. My Bounder V10 gets 7.5 in the flatlands, less in the hills....thanks for your posts...it helps all Palazzo owners and us wantabees....
George:

We stop for lunch along the way and we can get into the frig to get drinks and stuff to make a sandwich without any problems. We do not find it to be an issue for us.

Just so you know I would be careful of a low mileage 2013 Palazzo with some BS story about the guy found it too small, etc. We got stung on my previous MH a 2010 Thor Serrano (purchased used with 1800 miles) with a BS story such as this (towed 3 times and in the shop 11 additional times in 4000 miles). First off the coach (Thor) warranty only applies to the first owner so for warranty you are on your own. I would prefer to buy one with 20000 miles then one with 3600 because I would bet that something is wrong. When I traded in my Serrano they did not ask one question as to why and they took it in trade without even walking through the MH. These guys knew that they could unload it to someone without any difficulty by providing some BS story that I traded it in on a newer, bigger something.

Without a TOAD I am averaging 11 MPG and this is based on the dashboard trip meter. I do track my mileage on an iPAD App and I have gotten as much as 12.3 MPG on a fill up with an average of 10.2 MPG. I think the difference has to do with not filling up to the exact same level each time and running the generator for the AC may have some impact on my calculated mileage. For now I am happy with the 11 + or - I am getting.
__________________
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Kathryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 641
You mentioned pulling a toad. Did I see a golf cart in those pics? If so, how do you transport the golfcart? Anyone?

Kathryn

~~~
__________________
Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
jimbooth25's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: sebring,fl
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
You mentioned pulling a toad. Did I see a golf cart in those pics? If so, how do you transport the golfcart? Anyone?

Kathryn

~~~
Yes that was a golf cart I tow it on a 6x12 utility trailer, only take that to the privat campground we belong to, I pull the jeep every where else, might get a base plate for my f150 so I can pull that with the golf cart in the bed for our trips to other golf cart friendly camps
__________________
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
jimbooth25's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: sebring,fl
Posts: 314
They do sell lifts for the golf carts but I am not sure about that apparatus
__________________
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 348
Jack Arnold says: Just so you know I would be careful of a low mileage 2013 Palazzo with some BS story about the guy found it too small, etc. We got stung on my previous MH a 2010 Thor Serrano (purchased used with 1800 miles) with a BS story such as this (towed 3 times and in the shop 11 additional times in 4000 miles). First off the coach (Thor) warranty only applies to the first owner so for warranty you are on your own. I would prefer to buy one with 20000 miles then one with 3600 because I would bet that something is wrong. When I traded in my Serrano they did not ask one question as to why and they took it in trade without even walking through the MH. These guys knew that they could unload it to someone without any difficulty by providing some BS story that I traded it in on a newer, bigger something.

Good words, Jack. I don't think I would buy that unit as they have it priced too high and I, too, wondered about the "too small" trade in. If I buy, I will order and get exactly what I want. I know they will deal, but I can buy a new one for what they ask. I did not know about the "second owner warranty" thing...thanks.

As mentioned, today I went to Pipe Creek, TX and visited the Texas Custom Coach Company. The owner met me and treated me like I owned the place. I showed him the Family Motor Coach magazine Palazzo article and told him I might want the "couch" replaced with a "jack knife" couch and he said no problem and gave me a brochue of furniture to look at. He was proud of just being selected as a "Provost Custom Dealer" with signs in the office. As before, they get naked shells and build from the floor up. Wild.

They had a Prevost and several other high end coaches in work in the building. He said they were building the Provost for a "well known entertainer". It was a beautiful, nearly finished, coach.

He said he would do anything I wanted with the furniture and anything with a coach, as long as the money holds out....ha ha If I buy, I will repalce the couch and possibly the dinette....
__________________
USAF Ret. Sony Corp. Ret.
1999 Bounder 34J, Ford V10
Boerne, TX
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #39
Member
 
Oliver-Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 78
Question Still learning about the Palazzo

Does the Palazzo furnace heat the under floor areas such as the water tanks and water lines? Or are they located in such a place as they are not likely to freeze if the temps drop for a short period of time? I'm looking at going to places that might get some lower temps for a short time such as S. Carolina but not long periods where one should winterize.
__________________
Oliver-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
gmadams's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver-Max View Post
Does the Palazzo furnace heat the under floor areas such as the water tanks and water lines? Or are they located in such a place as they are not likely to freeze if the temps drop for a short period of time? I'm looking at going to places that might get some lower temps for a short time such as S. Carolina but not long periods where one should winterize.
It is my understanding that the tank area and the water lines are in a heated area but I have not confirmed this. You might want to ask this on the Thor threads under the topic Palazzo Q&A.
__________________
Gary and Kay & Chipper
2018 Thor Tuscany 38SQ
2012 Colorado Crew Cab
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 141
Page 123 of the Thor Motor Coach Manual ( the second one with Tuscany/Astoria/Palazzo on the cover) says "the fresh water storage tank is located inside a lower storage compartment. The furnace will heat the fresh and waste water compartments. In severe cold weather however, it is wise to monitor the water temperature in the tank, and take appropriate steps to drain and winterize if necessary. In severe cold weather, it may also be necessary to open the lower cabinet doors at night in both the bath and kitchen areas to keep warmer air circulating around the water fixtures."
__________________
Jim, Lisa and Sailor, the Australian Terrier
Thor Palazzo 33.1
Freedom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #42
Member
 
Oliver-Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 78
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom65 View Post
Page 123 of the Thor Motor Coach Manual ( the second one with Tuscany/Astoria/Palazzo on the cover) says "the fresh water storage tank is located inside a lower storage compartment. The furnace will heat the fresh and waste water compartments. In severe cold weather however, it is wise to monitor the water temperature in the tank, and take appropriate steps to drain and winterize if necessary. In severe cold weather, it may also be necessary to open the lower cabinet doors at night in both the bath and kitchen areas to keep warmer air circulating around the water fixtures."
When I bought our Palazzo (May 2012) a manual was not available and Thor stated they had no plans to develop one. I see one is now available but have not downloaded and printed the manual yet. Thanks for the info and I'll get the manual printed ASAP.
__________________

__________________
Oliver-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.