Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

My train

Here's my train on the way to the lake.

nodakbassmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great looking rig!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Impressive...

Very nice setup, must be fun driving down city streets. How long is that rig? Do you have any butt-pucker making RH turns?
My train isn't near as long @ 60ft, but is pretty easy to handle and legal in all states.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	24200  
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #4

Actually I can manuver it pretty well in town, as long as I don't have to go backwards! I'm at about 75' and that's the legal limit here in SD. I have no plans or need to take the boat to anywhere that I'm to long to travel through anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Ha! You need another trailer behind the boat for the golf cart!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
My train isn't near as long @ 60ft, but is pretty easy to handle and legal in all states.
Do you have any more pictures of your "trailer", or info on it? I'm looking at doing something like that.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

I also want to comment on the manuvering of such a rig. My train includes a 32' FW and a 14' utility trailer with an atv on it. The tail swing of the fw causes the second unit to swing wide, which gives it the same wheel track as the fw. As long as the fw clears, I never think twice about the second trailer.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #8

I have actually seen a truck pulling a 5'er with a boat and then a jet ski trailer behind the boat!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
Do you have any more pictures of your "trailer", or info on it? I'm looking at doing something like that.
No problem, I''l dig through the vacation pics and see if I can find a better picture.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well after digging through about 1000 pics I was unable to find a picture of the trailer that showed any detail. If you don't mind, I will take a picture for you and send it via PM (unless others want me to post it).
It is obviously custom made and I got so many compliments on it on our trip that I am considering making them for others. I was lucky enough to find this one from a manufacturer that went out of business. I found a few others online, but they aren't cheap, pushing 6k! It also required a custom made hitch on the coach that is rated @ 2500lbs. tongue weight, got all the hitch parts from Etrailer.com and had it welded to the coach. Also added cross braces to negate any side to side movement. It's bullet proof now.
It is basically a car trailer cut off at the rear axle with a Mastertow dolly set-up mounted over the rear axle. It has an 8x8 platform. There are two 2ft wide ramps that can be locked together with a twist so you can ride on and ride off, and they mount in holder @ the front of the trailer. The dolly ramps are stowed in channels under the trailer. I added a diamond plate tool box between the rear of the platform and the dolly to stow straps, lights, helmets, etc.. It weighs just shy of 1700lbs. and can carry two full dress bikes with ease (almost 2k lbs), it can also carry a trike, golf cart, atvs, just about anything that fits the platform. It is a very handy set up since it can be used as a flatbed or dolly or both when at home.
Sorry for being so long winded, just trying to give a good description. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodakbassmas View Post
Actually I can manuver it pretty well in town, as long as I don't have to go backwards! I'm at about 75' and that's the legal limit here in SD. I have no plans or need to take the boat to anywhere that I'm to long to travel through anyway.
Yes, backing up can be a challenge, but can be done... slowly. Had to back up about 200 ft. in downtown St. Louis after I was directed to go under a 12 ft. high bridge, which I refused to do. Took about 30 mins to get turned around, but much of that time was spent closing the road for me to do so.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am reminded of the man driving the U-Haul type truck towing his Car, the back seat had been removed and his motorcycle placed therein (The seat was in the box of the truck) He stopped to re-fule and the attendant, Looking over the lashup says:

"Gee, do you think you should strap a saketboard in just in case?"
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #13

Windydaboo,

Appreciate you looking and the description you provided. Quite a bit heavier than I need though. There is an outfit that makes a dolly similar, single axle with adjustable dolly plates, that I've been looking at. I need something to carry a 1200Lb RZR and then tow a small car behind a m/h. When I get to destination, unload the car and RZR, load the RZR back on conventionally, then tow it with the car.

Still thinking about the whole deal. We have everything paid for now, but would have to go back into debt to pull this idea off. For now, we'll just avoid the states that doesn't allow two trailers.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Windydaboo,

Appreciate you looking and the description you provided. Quite a bit heavier than I need though. There is an outfit that makes a dolly similar, single axle with adjustable dolly plates, that I've been looking at. I need something to carry a 1200Lb RZR and then tow a small car behind a m/h. When I get to destination, unload the car and RZR, load the RZR back on conventionally, then tow it with the car.

Still thinking about the whole deal. We have everything paid for now, but would have to go back into debt to pull this idea off. For now, we'll just avoid the states that doesn't allow two trailers.
Finally got a few pics for you...

If you go with a single axle setup you will want to go with the heaviest axle possible since a 3500lb one would probably be close to it's limit with the car and RZR on it. Also may be a bit heavy for a car hitch since a lot of the weight is in front of the axle of the trailer. I never saw a twin axle until I found this one and I like the 7000lb capacity, twice the capacity with only a couple more feet of trailer. This was the only way I could find to tow two bikes and the Jeep without having to worry about losing something. We can unhook the Jeep and tow the bikes with it much like you want to do. It squashes the rear but the V8 pulls it no problem.
What kind of car is your toad? Will it be able to handle close to 1k lb. tongue weight or would you load the RZR with the back wheels in the dolly cradle?
I was able to buy the trailer, all the hitch parts and welding by a professional fabricator for under 4 grand! Have been told by many I got the trailer for less than it cost for materials. Everyone who has seen it is impressed with the setup, even had a few folks taking pics as we drove down the road.
Anyway, let me know what you come up with and feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	24229   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	24230  

Name:	trailer4.jpg