Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #1

We signed the paperwork to buy an Open Road 357. It should be ready to pick up next Saturday. We opted for the fireplace and decided to hold off on the a/c for the bedroom until we see how well the 15,000 BTU cools down the RV in our hot Texas summers. So many changes compared to my 29' Wanderer and a few questions.

1. 50 amp power is new to me. Most of the places I go to have 30 amp power. Do you use the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter or do you use the 50 amp cord with the 30 amp plug similar to this one. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...wListID=32132&src=WL
2. Those of you towing with short bed pickup, do you use or need a sliding hitch?
3. What is the best way to keep things from sliding around in the pass thru storage area?
4. How well does the 15,000 BTU a/c cool in hot climates?

One of the first things I need to do is put in Fantastic Fans in the living area and the bedroom. That Create-a-Breeze in the bedroom just won't do. Has anyone used the SHURflo fans? I noticed they have a model that has a remote control. That would come in handy for the living area.

I can't wait until our first trip. Hopefully that will be the following weekend.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #2

We signed the paperwork to buy an Open Road 357. It should be ready to pick up next Saturday. We opted for the fireplace and decided to hold off on the a/c for the bedroom until we see how well the 15,000 BTU cools down the RV in our hot Texas summers. So many changes compared to my 29' Wanderer and a few questions.

1. 50 amp power is new to me. Most of the places I go to have 30 amp power. Do you use the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter or do you use the 50 amp cord with the 30 amp plug similar to this one. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...wListID=32132&src=WL
2. Those of you towing with short bed pickup, do you use or need a sliding hitch?
3. What is the best way to keep things from sliding around in the pass thru storage area?
4. How well does the 15,000 BTU a/c cool in hot climates?

One of the first things I need to do is put in Fantastic Fans in the living area and the bedroom. That Create-a-Breeze in the bedroom just won't do. Has anyone used the SHURflo fans? I noticed they have a model that has a remote control. That would come in handy for the living area.

I can't wait until our first trip. Hopefully that will be the following weekend.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Joe,
First congratulations. Open Road is a great buy for the money, as you can see in my siganature I have one too! I can help you with your questions.
1. If you put a second air you will definatly need the 50 A. As far as most campgrounds go I useually get 50, but sometimes just 30 and it is fine. The adapter was included in mine so dont be so quick to buy one.
2. My experience, and from what I read I would not chance towing w fifth with a shortbed without a slider!
3. I really dont see my stuff move in the pass through slider. I just ordered a slide out try for mine to make it easier getting the stuff out.
4. You might really want to consider the second air. The trailer has allot of living space. When it is real hot it is hard to cool down.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #4

Thanks for your response. I have been looking at Open Road for the last three years (since the 2003 models). I liked all the improvements they made each year. I finally couldn't wait any longer.

I figured we will need to add the second a/c. I understand they are quite loud. Is there a certain brand that tends to run quieter than others? Mine has the Open Road Package which is supposed to have double insulation on the roof and floor. I'm hoping that will help keep it cool enough to run one a/c.

I figure with the sliding hitch it is cheap insurance. May not use it that often, but I will have it if I need it.

After pulling a 29' for six years, it seem rather intimidating to look at the size of this monster at 37'. It looks so huge.

I hope to take it out in two weeks so we will see how the first run goes.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:30 AM   #5

One advantage of 2 ACs is moving the noise.We run the rear unit during the day ,directing the air to the front and reverse the process at nite.That way the noise is further away from where you are located.We seldom need both units at the same time but have the option.If I had the option I would have one of the units a heat pump.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote