Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #15

New vs. Used is always a tough decision. There is a reality that one needs to look at in regards to depreciation. My rig new listed at $225,000. Some dealers were willing to sell that rig on a clean deal for $150-155,000. Mine used, which is two model years old, would still fetch somewhere in the $135-140,000 range. Most are advertised on line for around $150-160,000. The depreciation is a chunk but not as bad as what some would have you believe.

We bought used only once and we almost got killed in the process. We were driving our used Class C down I-75 near the GA/FL line when I noticed we had no brakes. The prior owner had left the unit outside for two years with no barrier against ground moisture which caused the brakes to fail. We ended up not having an accident, but it was pure luck that we did not have a problem. Used may avoid depreciation, but the other costs may be too severe to bear.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #16

As always it's not what used models are advertised for , it's how much they sell for .
If anyone manages to buy a new unit from a dealer then sell it two years later only losing 10%, it's a deal of a lifetime

Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
As always it's not what used models are advertised for , it's how much they sell for .
If anyone manages to buy a new unit from a dealer then sell it two years later only losing 10%, it's a deal of a lifetime
If you look at the discounted purchase price rather than the MSRP, then you are looking at a 10-15% decline. Looking at only MSRP and saying that someone took a 50% hit at two years is just not realistic. If I can buy a unit at the low $150's it is not unreasonable that the rig would still have a value of the mid-$130's one to two years after purchase. The MSRP doesn't really have much bearing on reality in today's RV market. If you look at an MSRP of $225,000 and then a two year later sale price of $135,000 then it would seem like someone took one heck of a hit. However when you go from a low $150's figure for the actual purchase then the depreciation number is much more realistic.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #18

That still implies that a buyer would rather pay $15k less than a brand new unit with no warranty
Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr
That still implies that a buyer would rather pay $15k less than a brand new unit with no warranty
Sorry that should have read , a 2 year old unit with no warranty for a $15k saving over a brand new unit
Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman

If I can buy a unit at the low $150's it is not unreasonable that the rig would still have a value of the mid-$130's one to two years after purchase. .
I think you've got your rose coloured glasses on if you think a new RV that sold for $150k, is still going to "sell" for mid-130k, 2 years down the road and 10-20k miles on the clock. Granted this is just my opinion, but no one is fooled by MSRP's and buyers have ready access to research pricing tools, so I think you'll be a pretty lucky guy if you can drive your new 150k MH for 2yrs and only loose 15k or 10%. Good for you if you can pull it off.....I just wouldn't bet the farm on it!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy used. Allocate money for repairs and servicing. Allocate money for tires. Take your time finding a good coach at a right price. Pay cash if you can. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz
Buy used. Allocate money for repairs and servicing. Allocate money for tires. Take your time finding a good coach at a right price. Pay cash if you can. IMHO.
Xx2
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Tires tires tires, know your tire date of manufacture codes when buying. Even a brand new RV can have tires that were made two or three years ago.
Here is how I know....That brand new 2011 Winnie 26P I am looking at has tires with a date code of july 2010. Even tho it is sold as new the tires are already well over two years old.
From the info I have gathered on this Site the majority of folks say tires should be changed when they are around 6-7 years old. A set of six premium tires can cost as much as 3000 dollars. That is a big chunk of change.
The bridgestone tires on my 1991 30 footer are 15 years old, but they look brand new.
The best deal I found in s florida was to drive up to Hollywood Fl to a place called Value Tire, the owner, a guy named Vinnie offered me New
Bridgestones for only 300 each installed and balanced plus tax and
State fees. That is a 50 mile drive and still would cost around 2K.
You gotta figure in tire replacement cost when deciding on new or used, especially used. When I bought my RV I was impressed by the deal and the tires that looked new, what a shock it was to find they were as old as they were several months after I brought it home
Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lots of pros and cons for both new and used. In the end it comes down to what you can afford. Or maybe better said - that's where you begin. Once you know what you can afford you can start to narrow down the many options - new v used - gas v d - etc etc.

I have limited experience with this as my entry was new in 91 with exit in 2001 with and back in this past August with used. I don't feel I can adequately or accurately say what's best - but can attest to the tires - tires - tires comment. My recent purchase is a 2008 Bounder DP. The tires looked so good that I didn't look at the date stamp - which turned out to be 39th week of 2007.

So now I know what they price can vary and debate can go on about which tire to buy - but for 6 GY G670 22.5's CW wants $4,600 out the door - which was $300 over what a local tire shop wanted for the Michelin equivalent - and yes I asked about the FMCA Michelin program price - participates but no help.

Note - the info I was given on the GY warranty was 5 years - and 7 years UV. Which begs the question - how safe are they in years 6 and 7. Anybody's guess whether you bought new or used.

So new or used - if it's not tires it will be something else sooner or later and none of it is Inexpensive - and as others note - there isn't much warranty there in new. So you are back to square one - what can you afford? Build in a maintenance cushion either way.

Just 3 cents worth from a new old timer.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I guess what I am sorta hinting at it this, the one I am looking at is a 2011, it is being sold as brand new, yet it has almost 2000 miles on it, they say that is from the drive from the factory to Ft lauderdale Fl, and some test drives. They are asking about 70K for it which is about 25% off list, but it is still a 2011 and in a few months it will be 2 years old. Who is taking what hit on depreciation???? I am of the thinking that a 2 year old unit is worth about half of what a 2013 should be worth. Any thoughts?
unless the 2013 has some unique or new chassis underneath... 50% is kinda lowball. I guess if you if you figure in 25% discount off sticker and the ACV anything is possible.
Also most RVs are driven from the factory to the dealer lot otherwise you would be looking at another couple grand in transportation charges.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Note - the info I was given on the GY warranty was 5 years - and 7 years UV. Which begs the question - how safe are they in years 6 and 7. Anybody's guess whether you bought new or used.
the problem with people making "tire recommendations" is most of them will not back their suggestions up with actual proof. Lots of fear and reactive assumptions.
My feeling is a tire thats 7-10yrs old is not any more prone to blowouts or failures if maintained and stored properly than a new one. You can find all sorts of stories about folks with 2-4yr old tires having problems. Fact is... your good RV tires removed at 5-7yrs are recycled back onto semi trailers which you may be sharing the highway/roadway with.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good morning. I couldn't agree more. In fact I imagine the 5-7 year old tires may be recycled into inside rear tires on the coach parked next to you. The advantage the new owner has is they were able to inspect the inside sidewalls etc of the tires when they made their decision to install.

I suppose we could do the same inspection when we go to replace them and mix the old with the new. We would have a mixed bag of aging tires and some would be fine with that and some not so much. Don't think I could rest easy that way but might be convinced to replace the steering tries and let the others ride a bit. Hmmm...Thanks for reminding me of my days on the road traveling with mom and pop. Driving from Cal to Tx in mid July - dad must have put 4 used tires on the ole 57 Plymouth. No matter where we were - the guy with the new tires had more used ones sitting around to sell than he did new. Which brings u's back to topic - new v used.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #28

I recently bought a "new" 2011 Discovery. I think had it had bunks in it, it probably would have sold long ago. I'm adding them. I got just under 38% off MSRP for what that's worth.

I got very close to a private sale used one but I wanted to have a dealer do a full inspection and someone came in and bought it first without requiring that.

The new one I got was less expensive than the what the seller told me he ultimately sold it for (by about $5K).

I bought a very lightly used RV a few years ago but it hadn't even been slept in so it felt "new" and unused. For some reason I struggle a little with the concept of buying one that's been well lived in but that's a personal thing.