Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

New or Used

Was looking at a brand new 2011 Winnebage 26P with two slides. Incredible ammount of room and storage for a 26 footer.

I like everything about it except the price, the down payment and the 15-20 years of payments. I know about the depreciation and I know the warranties on Brand new RV's are not very long

The warranty of 100K plus motor homes seem pitiful compared 36 month bumper to bumper on new cars.

I was wondering how many folks opt for a late model Used RV's instead of Brand New

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There's been a lot of recent discussion on this here Late model used RV- would you buy?

It's really a personal decision but IMHO, if you rely on a financial analysis to drive your decision, you'll go for used every time. As I posted in the thread above, I think it's similar to the gas vs diesel question. It's really difficult to financially "justify" buying a DP over a gasser in most cases... and the same can be said for new vs used.

FWIW, I bought new but wouldn't do it again.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #3

This is totally one of those questions new Vs used, cummins VS cat.,gas VS diesel, and it goes on and on. There is no way to justify buying a Rv is a great hobby or lifestyle which ever way you look at it. I am a new car new Rv kinda person others let people like me take the big hit and get all the bugs out of it or dump it because it's a piece of crap and you hope someone takes it off your hands.It really your own personal preference.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
This is totally one of those questions new Vs used, cummins VS cat.,gas VS diesel, and it goes on and on. There is no way to justify buying a Rv is a great hobby or lifestyle which ever way you look at it. I am a new car new Rv kinda person others let people like me take the big hit and get all the bugs out of it or dump it because it's a piece of crap and you hope someone takes it off your hands.It really your own personal preference.
I guess what I am sorta hinting at it this, the one I am looking at is a 2011, it is being sold as brand new, yet it has almost 2000 miles on it, they say that is from the drive from the factory to Ft lauderdale Fl, and some test drives. They are asking about 70K for it which is about 25% off list, but it is still a 2011 and in a few months it will be 2 years old. Who is taking what hit on depreciation???? I am of the thinking that a 2 year old unit is worth about half of what a 2013 should be worth. Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, the mileage is no problem but they're asking WAY too much for it. I'm not sure how you could compare to a 2013 model though.

Maybe 35/40% of MSRP would still be too high but it's getting closer to real world.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

Leave it for a few months , they will come down as it turns 2 years
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito
I guess what I am sorta hinting at it this, the one I am looking at is a 2011, it is being sold as brand new, yet it has almost 2000 miles on it, they say that is from the drive from the factory to Ft lauderdale Fl, and some test drives. They are asking about 70K for it which is about 25% off list, but it is still a 2011 and in a few months it will be 2 years old. Who is taking what hit on depreciation???? I am of the thinking that a 2 year old unit is worth about half of what a 2013 should be worth. Any thoughts?
Depreciation isn't that bad!
Yes, all RV's are driven to the dealer, and, like here on the west coast, all new Winnie's will have a couple thousand miles on them, that's why mfg warranty is 12 months, 15,000 miles. If you go for it, have the dealer change the oil and filter and all that, and get a receipt. Check the hours on the genny, if it was a show model it may have several hours on it, get the oil changed on it as well either way. Not sure how the one you are looking at is equipped, the ones out here are going for well into the 80's, you may want to check RV Trader for comps. If they are firm on the price, get them to throw in some freebies, like a couple oil change services, and deluxe starter kit..
...and, remember, unlike a private party, you are getting the full mfg warranty, and, trust me, that is VERY important!
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are on our third motorhome in the last three years. All three have been new. Did I loose $ when trading in - yes. Did I want a new compared to a used coach - yes. Comes down to if you can afford it and what will make you happy in the end.

The issue I have with used motorhomes is most people like to tinker / repair themselves. In most cases the guy may know what he was doing, BUT you will never know if the guy was an idiot and you just financed his headache...
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Personally, you couldn't pay me to have a new RV.....spend a bit of time on this forum reading the horror stories that seems to come with QC problems associated with new rigs. On the other hand, if you are determined to be the "crash test dummy" for this RV.

1) Why has this unit not sold by now? What's the real story on the milage....Do you really, really trust this Dealer...I'd ask him to provide me with 5 references..,I'd ask people on this forum in the Winnie section if they know this Dealer...I'd check the BBB...I'd do an Internet search...etc.

2) As for pricing...I'd ask the people in the Winnie section what % they got off MSRP when they bought....particularly a couple of years ago. Then I would think it is not be unreasonable for you to get "more", since the unit has been driven and it isn't getting any younger. If nothing else you are two years closer to needing new tires!

3) If you can't get anything more off pricing can you get value added "stuff"? How about an Extended Warranty, free oil changes, satellite TV system, etc.

4)Be sure all the fluids are changed on this unit "before" you take possession...you can't let the oil just sit for 18/24 months! In fact, get some advice on all the "servicing" which should be performed on a 2yr old rig and have this included in your deal.

At the end of the day....understand where you want/need to be on this unit and see if you can get there...if not...lot's of fish in the ocean!

Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

Oh ya...I forgot...investigate the Lemon Laws
in your state...just in case!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #11

I buy new vehicles and our TT was ordered.
I don't like to buy used stuff. You never know who did what - where - or how when it comes to seating, beds, wiring, maintenance, etc.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #12

I too prefer new over used, or even "new/used" as my wife puts it. I like to know what's been done to my equipment, when it was done, and by whom. I know I'll take a bit of a financial hit, but if history repeats itself I'll use the coach extensively and offset any depreciation hit by my enjoyment.

I have bought used before and it went badly for me, since that time I've bought new and have been more than satisfied with my equipment purchases.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
As you have read its all a personal preference, depreciation can be bad but I hope not as much as 50% of its value in 2 years. Generally the more something cost the bigger the discount so 25% off of a 100k Rv is not bad it doesn't hurt to try for more.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster

As you have read its all a personal preference, depreciation can be bad but I hope not as much as 50% of its value in 2 years. Generally the more something cost the bigger the discount so 25% off of a 100k Rv is not bad it doesn't hurt to try for more.
The problem with RV pricing is no one (manufacturers, dealers, consumers) takes MSRP seriously. As a result, 50% off MSRP in 2 yrs is probably about right. The original owner gets 25-30% off MSRP and the second owner, at the 2yr mark, gets another 20%. As long as everyone buys into the ridiculously over inflated MSRP's .....everybody thinks they are getting these killer deals and that they should write a book about how to be an astute negotiator! In the end....what's the harm.....everyone feels good about their purchase.