Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree, 100%

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember that your coach is a home on wheels that is subject to "earthquakes" every time it takes to the road. Considering the violent actions it is subjected to it is amazing we only have the annoyances we do with them. My 2014 Expedition has had a few small items that were taken care of on the "punch out" list after my first weekend outing. The dealer promptly fixed them all. Gave it another run from Northern Virginia to South Carolina (over 20 hours total travel time) a couple weeks ago without issues. Going for another run Va. to Fla. in May. Crossing the fingers but bringing the duck tape just in case! Take it in stride. There will be times when everything seems to work fine and then you will have times when it seems everything has issues. That is part of owning a "house" on wheels. Don't let it get you down and enjoy the ride!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Sorry to read of your problems but they happen whether it's new or used. I'm sure you'll get things worked out and enjoy your Bounder, we sure had fun in ours when we had it. Good luck and enjoy your future adventures.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
New RVs are not the only RVs that need constant repairs.
The "RV dream" sometimes, (often?), is nightmare.

When my coach was new "to me" it was 5 years old, (with 27k miles).

Right now everything is working correctly.
However, to make that happen I have had to repair and/or replace many things in the the 13 years, (105 k miles) since.
I have had no major problems, but my coach needs something repaired nearly every time I use it.
I've made many necessary repairs while "on the road" but most problems "I live" with until I get the coach home.

IMO few people would put up with a automobile that gave them constant problems, but many RVers put up with a $100,000 + vehicle that needs/requires constant attention, (and $$).

We RVers are a strange breed indeed!

End of editorial.

Mel
'96 Safari
SIGH how discouraging, I bought my motor home for relaxation not problem solving. I'd say that quality standards could be higher in the industry. If our new motorhome has a series of annual repair issues I'm selling and going cruising! Too bad, I love Rving.
NettieRegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I guess I'm one of those who think differently about this subject.

These are NOT houses on wheels. Houses are designed as a permanent structure....motor homes are designed to be driven. They, therefore, should be structurally sound enough to withstand the rigors of constant movement, poor road surfaces, and crummy drivers. Each and every unit should be thoroughly inspected by a certified qualitiy control inspector at EVERY stage of construction. I have been to several different motor home assembly plants and at each one I've asked if QC was performed at every stage. I was told that this is just too expensive and, at best, maybe one out of five motor homes had QC inspection "sometime" during construction. Think about that....one out of five! Typically, the QC is left up to the individual installer or supervisor.

In addition, once a motor home is completed and available for sale, every aspect of it should be tested to insure it complies with the design and safety requirements...in other words....every thing should work as designed.

For this reason, in the two times I've purchased a new coach, I have looked only at those coaches that the dealership has had on their lots for quite some time and those that have been taken to rv shows. These coaches have been driven and somewhat used so that most bugs have been eliminated.

This last coach has been almost perfect...only a bad seat belt and two burned out compartment lights. Our first coach, only had problems after it had 15,000 miles, or so, put on it and even then the problems were attributed to loosened screws, nuts, bolts, clamps, ect.

I sympathize with those of you who have had coaches that experienced major undeserved problems. It should not be that way.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #20

New Rig Blues

Hi I can feel your disappointment. We bought a new 2013 HR 43ft coach in August of last year and for the first 5 weeks they got it back 5 times for air leaks in the leveling system. Then after that we used it 9 times and each time they got it back for 6 to 10 items to repair. We stayed in the coach for 2 months this past winter and when we got back it had a 3 page punch list and it took 3 weeks to get it back. While we were living in it the grey water tank wouldn't drain. I got a tool and tried unstopping it and it would drain a little and then stop up again. I called the dealer and they tried to put me in touch with a dealer in AZ but the one they told me about was closed and out of business. I told them that I needed some help so they got me an authorization to have a mobile repair man to come out and see if he could fix it. Well he fixed it and it was the tank parts that the drilled out to put in the drain pipes to the tank. They just cut out the holes and let the cutouts just fall into the tanks. After the 3 week stay in the shop we used it again then things started to go wrong again, the rear toilet wouldn't flush because the sensors thought the tank was full. I had emptied it before we left for our trip. So don't feel bad about just 3 returns I think that every coach has to be remanufactured once they sell them. It hurts to think we paid that much $$$$ for something that has to be constantly brought back for a repair. These returns are not counting the things that I had fixed myself while we were using it.
Good luck getting everything fixed up right.
Harry
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I guess I'm one of those who think differently about this subject.

These are NOT houses on wheels. Houses are designed as a permanent structure....motor homes are designed to be driven. They, therefore, should be structurally sound enough to withstand the rigors of constant movement, poor road surfaces, and crummy drivers. Each and every unit should be thoroughly inspected by a certified qualitiy control inspector at EVERY stage of construction. I have been to several different motor home assembly plants and at each one I've asked if QC was performed at every stage. I was told that this is just too expensive and, at best, maybe one out of five motor homes had QC inspection "sometime" during construction. Think about that....one out of five! Typically, the QC is left up to the individual installer or supervisor.

In addition, once a motor home is completed and available for sale, every aspect of it should be tested to insure it complies with the design and safety requirements...in other words....every thing should work as designed.

For this reason, in the two times I've purchased a new coach, I have looked only at those coaches that the dealership has had on their lots for quite some time and those that have been taken to rv shows. These coaches have been driven and somewhat used so that most bugs have been eliminated.

This last coach has been almost perfect...only a bad seat belt and two burned out compartment lights. Our first coach, only had problems after it had 15,000 miles, or so, put on it and even then the problems were attributed to loosened screws, nuts, bolts, clamps, ect.

I sympathize with those of you who have had coaches that experienced major undeserved problems. It should not be that way.

Ron
Ron,

Although you are correct in that a coach or rv is not a house I differ in your opinion as there are many people who consider them as I said their "home" on wheels. JMHO
Safe travels!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As desobelman said, a mh is a house bouncing down the road, its parts are constantly taking a beating. On our maiden voyage with our new to us 87 Southwind, we had 4 breakdowns with the chassis, all the parts that broke were put on new just a couple of months before our trip and we had 3 problems with the coach.

Remember, a S&B house needs constant looking after--we have had 3 homes, 2 of which were brand new--and I was constantly doing something with them, my honey do list was 2 pages long most of the time.

With that being said, I much prefer putting time and effort into our Southwind, it provides enjoyment and all the comforts of a S&B at a much less cost than a house.

Problems are frustrating, but they can also be part of the experience. Keeping the proper perspective is a big part of the experience. My dad has sunk $40,000 into his house in the past year--new roof, new water and sewer lines, new HVAC. This is more money than we paid for our Southwind and all the pre trip repairs plus the road side breakdowns. IF it weren't for my wife wanting a place to call home, I would be a full timer enjoying life on my terms with Uncle Murphy showing up from time to time just to keep life interesting.

To sum up, enjoy the good times and take the problems with a grain of salt, it beats the alternative of sitting in a house watching life go by.

Russ
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpere View Post
As desobelman said, a mh is a house bouncing down the road, its parts are constantly taking a beating. On our maiden voyage with our new to us 87 Southwind, we had 4 breakdowns with the chassis, all the parts that broke were put on new just a couple of months before our trip and we had 3 problems with the coach.

Remember, a S&B house needs constant looking after--we have had 3 homes, 2 of which were brand new--and I was constantly doing something with them, my honey do list was 2 pages long most of the time.

With that being said, I much prefer putting time and effort into our Southwind, it provides enjoyment and all the comforts of a S&B at a much less cost than a house.

Problems are frustrating, but they can also be part of the experience. Keeping the proper perspective is a big part of the experience. My dad has sunk $40,000 into his house in the past year--new roof, new water and sewer lines, new HVAC. This is more money than we paid for our Southwind and all the pre trip repairs plus the road side breakdowns. IF it weren't for my wife wanting a place to call home, I would be a full timer enjoying life on my terms with Uncle Murphy showing up from time to time just to keep life interesting.

To sum up, enjoy the good times and take the problems with a grain of salt, it beats the alternative of sitting in a house watching life go by.

Russ
Well said!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #24

Way back in 2001, we bought a brand new Airstream Land Yacht motorhome. We thought that because we bought a new, good brand RV then we would not have any problems. Well, just like the others have been saying, there were problems... electrical, plumbing, hydraulic, and air conditioning. Each time our dealer took really good care of us. We enjoyed that coach, went all over the Eastern half of the US. We would still have it today if the neighbors would not have had a fire that caused severe damage to our coach. We kept it serviced and in perfect shape. There were always issues, but we eventually came to realize that everybody has issues with their RV. It is part of owning one.

We bought a new RV this year, and love it too. I have gotten to where if I can fix a problem then it is better for me to handle it than drag it to a dealer. Less hassle for me.

Good luck and hang in there.

Steve
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #25

For what it is worth, we bought a NEW 2011 Entegra 45' DP. April 1st of 2011 was purchase date and we have JUST NOW got things lined out. Last year the coach was in the shop MORE than we had it. So far this year we have the bugs worked out and knock on woof the coach is doing okay. With a new coach expect problems, give it some time and things will get lined out.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my 2007 in Jan. I know I spent 2 months getting the bugs worked out. Of course I have had 6 back surgeries so I don't work so fast. The second trip the batteries failed and that would be the first thing I would change upon buying your new coach. I found blown fuses being a reason some things didn't work. New wipers and tried to adjust with no luck, find the button on the radio that the gkids pushed that made it quit working, changed out switch on fog lights, fixed all the compartment shocks that kept falling on my head, stinky slinky had a leak, leaky valves, broken shower head, dull headlights, repair door latch, replace melted globe on patio light, replace rusty screws, take the tv out an turn the frame the right way so the rounded corners are on the bottom and the square corners are not between my eyes. Me being a wood worker and technician in a prior life makes the jobs so much easier. Those two things were the joy of my life till my back went out. I forgot about the brake lines that rusted out luckily it broke when we pulled in the driveway. I carry brake lines and fitting now. Wife was driving and she said something on the final stop and I ignored her and said I would check tomorrow. After I dumped I forgot about it and pulled it up to my shop and almost ran into the shop, no brakes. After pumping about 4 times it stopped.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #27

We bought our 2006 BT Cruiser Feb. 14th 2007. Our first trip was to the Texas Motor Speedway in April. When we got there the generator wouldn't run and had to call someone to get it running, which turned out to be the jets were gummed up from using E10 gas. So after $165 later it was running and no other problems that weekend.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #28

I wish you best of luck. You have a popular model, so if you google for issues you will see posts good and bad. These really should not happen right out of the gate. Hope they can fix the issues and you get years of happy travels