Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry New Rig Problems

We purchased a brand new 2014 Fleetwood Bounder November 1st 2013. Every single time we have taken it out, we have had problems including hydraulic fluid leaks preventing jacks from lowering, split water valve flooding the storage bay, inoperative furnace, etc. Seems every time we take it out, we have to take it in for more warranty work when we get home.

This is our first experience with an RV and we were really looking forward to enjoying it. However we have experienced nothing but problems and we are seriously questioning this purchase.

Any other folks have problems like this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club

I believe we've all been there, done that with a new rig. When we bought our new 2012 Discovery 36J had similar issues, promptly corrected by the dealer (LaMesa) and Fleetwood. We had a split water line where the slide went out, flooding the kitchen area floor. The dealer replaced it with a reinforced swimming pool line, and it's worked perfectly since. Hydraulic fluid issues caused our leveling system to beep as we drove home. Got that one fixed as well. Hang in there - get through the teething issues and you'll enjoy!

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

Sometimes it's just better to buy a 2yr old one that's hopefully had all the issues cured.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Greg,

We too had the same stories in our 2006 Monaco.. Everytime, without exception, we took the motorhome out for the 1st year or 2, something broke or wasn't working. We even started to joke about it. Hang in there. It's happened to nearly all of us. Some of these coaches are very complicated and have lots of systems.

bill
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

It does happen to ALL makes that's why it's important to do some check out camps close to home or in the driveway to help get the bugs out. Generally it's small stuff that can be fix fairly easy.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg813 View Post
We purchased a brand new 2014 Fleetwood Bounder November 1st 2013. Every single time we have taken it out, we have had problems including hydraulic fluid leaks preventing jacks from lowering, split water valve flooding the storage bay, inoperative furnace, etc. Seems every time we take it out, we have to take it in for more warranty work when we get home.

This is our first experience with an RV and we were really looking forward to enjoying it. However we have experienced nothing but problems and we are seriously questioning this purchase.
Any other folks have problems like this?
Greg813
IMO, repairs covered by warranty are not problems, (they are merely inconveniences).
In my experience the "fun" doesn't begin until all of the warranties expire.

Your Bounder is already 5 months old and you've had only three inconveniences ....(in time you will realize that is NOT a bad average)!

BTW, I'm sure others will disagree, (especially those with rose-colored glasses..... those with unlimited $$.....
and those with their heads buried in the sand).

!

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You guys are talking about a new unit, we have a10 year old unit and we are having the same issues. Every trip there is something.
We laugh about it now, and take bets on what It is.... Go with it, and get all the bugs taken care of while they are covered by warranty.
,much better than the other option!!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New rig

Greg,

I sympathize with you. If you spend that kind of money for a new rig, it should be in near perfect working order!

That said, it is a house bouncing down the road and something, somwtime will break. The dealers are given $$$ credit to do a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) Most do not. They pocket the money and hope you have few issues. The other side of that coin is, they get paid by the manufacturer to repair "warranty' issues. They just want you off the lot so they can makke money off the warranty repairs.

If your rig is in the shop for more time than you have it, you can possibly have them take it back and give you another one. It would need to be something like, 9 to 10 months out of the first year, or so.

Had a freind who did just that.

Good luck. Hopefully, dealer will get everything in good shape so you an enjoy.

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep! Every trip brings a repair issue it seems. If not warranty, something else. Lost an awning in the wind on '06. Bad starter in '07. Power surge destroyed most 110 appliances in '06. Transfer switch in '12 and '13. Constant problems with the "floor by the door" panel not working as designed. Bought a new rig this year and it is starting all over again. Jacks, water leak, fit and finish issues....part of the experience I guess.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think everyone has these problems with a new coach, we are on our third coach and from my experience it takes a while to get it where you want it. I also have a new Bounder and while it's had a few problems, it's the best I have had so far. My dealers service department is very good, and I think that makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #11

Hope you get it sorted soon, just learn to patch it up to complete trips best you can and then go to shop. We have been fighting major and minor problems for 3 years now, just got our coach out of shop Friday. Problems are normal on new coaches so be prepared and have tool box ready. Good luck and know that you are not alone with issues.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hmmm, it seems a lot of people are bashing Tiffin recently because of these problems. And now we find out that Fleetwood owners have the same problems. Hmmm! A recent neighbor had a 2013 Newmar King Aire ($800K+) that was going in for it's second list of 30+ problems taken care of. Hmmm!

All new coaches, no matter the cost, have these "growing pains" or "inconveniences". I am in the group of owners that say buy a used coach a couple of years old. In this way, in many cases, you are buying a coach that has already gone through these "growing pains".
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep buy used, you won't lose 50-60 grand when you drive it off the lot. We bought our 82 PA 3-4 years ago and have only had trouble once and that was the fuel filters were clogged. Roadside Asst.(Ins Co) tow 87 miles N/C, filters and labor $125.00
Hang in there it can only get better. I'm hoping that these problems are covered in a warranty of some sort? While they are working on it are they giving you something too use? Good Luck and don't give up.
Happy Travels and be safe.
Happy Easter,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #14

New RVs are not the only RVs that need constant repairs.
The "RV dream" sometimes, (often?), is nightmare.

When my coach was new "to me" it was 5 years old, (with 27k miles).

Right now everything is working correctly.
However, to make that happen I have had to repair and/or replace many things in the the 13 years, (105 k miles) since.
I have had no major problems, but my coach needs something repaired nearly every time I use it.
I've made many necessary repairs while "on the road" but most problems "I live" with until I get the coach home.

IMO few people would put up with a automobile that gave them constant problems, but many RVers put up with a $100,000 + vehicle that needs/requires constant attention, (and $$).

We RVers are a strange breed indeed!

End of editorial.

Mel
'96 Safari