Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 10:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
allison fluid known to get dark. I wouldnt let that scare me. Just change filters and fluid as long as it shifts ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Personally, I wouldn't let those two minor issues scare you off... It's an Allison transmission.. those are pretty bullet proof.. I would think a thorough flushing, along with new filters would do the trick...

As for the coolant... again.. a thorough flushing of the fluids would be in line..

I can't see how either of those two issues could lead to a catastrophic failure... I would make some calls and get pricing on both flushes and then go back with an offer.. If everything else has checked out.. you maybe be passing up on a diamond... Please consult your local Chevrolet garage to confirm your suspicions.. but the 8.1 engine is a great engine and I cannot imagine a few fragments would be much of a big deal..

Edit: Since it's an Allison.. You could always get an oil sample and send it in to make you feel better.. It appears both of the fluids in question have been overlooked due to low miles.. People forget there is always a "time" component to every "mileage" component.. Often, we only use the mileage one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
I agree with dsrtrider & oakcreekeric,

A good flushing of the radiator and transmission would be in order. Allison tranny fluid is known to get dark, especially when sitting for long periods, which I think this did. Also, sometimes short trips do not let fluids circulate and heat up enough and they tend to actually need replacing more often.

Tires are a definite issue at that age. Does not matter how they loook on the outside. Inside cracking of sidewalls is the issue.

$47K is a good price as NadaGuides lists $53.5K to $64K as price range from low to High Retail. Might indicate owner was having issues. I would ask him if you could take to your own mechanic and have it checked out. If he agrees, that is good. Means he is not afraid of you finding a secret problem.

If you really like this MH and do decide to go further, please PM me and I will ask my RV friends who live in El Cajon fora recommended RV mechanic to take it to.

Just my 2c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
price is good, according to nada, if the seller knows what the value is, he might not budge for the tires, even though they are way out of date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
$47K is a good price as NadaGuides lists $53.5K to $64K as price range fr

If you really like this MH and do decide to go further, please PM me and I will ask my RV friends who live in El Cajon fora recommended RV mechanic to take it to.

Just my 2c

How can you beat this.[/QUOTE]

Hey Guys/Gals - Thank you for the support and believe me, this was hard to pass up. I am a huge sucker for deals and realize that this was priced very well. It's hard to explain, but I just didn't "feel it", you know!? I'm hoping that the maintenance issues are easily resolved for the next buyer (I'm certain it will sell) and have continued my search.....until two days ago...

I've already moved on and the Bounder is all but a fading memory now.... We pulled the trigger on a 2008 National Surfside 34E..... Stay tuned for the new thread to this section!
SDGreenroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All good points judging by the comments.
Most importantly the tires. No way I would travel on 10 year old tires! No. Way.

She is a beautiful coach. Congrats and best of luck.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote