Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I looked at when I checked mine out at dealer.

Turn on everything a/c, heater, water pump, burners ,stove, fridge on lp and electric, run the generator, make sure everything works. Sinks ,shower faucets.
Go up on the roof and look at it carefully for any damage, cracks or holes where water can penetrate.Check for dried and cracked sealant that might need to be scraped off and resealed. If its a rubber roof that's been sitting in the California sun for the last 9 or 10 years it might need to be recoated if it hasn't been done recently.
Check under chassis for leaks, differential,oil pan, trans pan. Any thing loose or hanging off. Heavy rust etc.
And bring a strong flashlight to look in cabinets, closets, walls and at the ceiling for water stains.
Open the awnings make sure they are in good condition..
Exterior lights all work.
Bring your smart phone, if you find something that needs to be fixed or replaced,look it up to see the cost involved, and negotiate that off the price.
Don't let the seller rush you through, take your time.
That's all I can think of at the moment, good luck hope everything checks out.

Gene
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 12:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking257 View Post
This is what I looked at when I checked mine out at dealer.

Turn on everything a/c, heater, water pump, burners ,stove, fridge on lp and electric, run the generator, make sure everything works. Sinks ,shower faucets.
Go up on the roof and look at it carefully for any damage, cracks or holes where water can penetrate.Check for dried and cracked sealant that might need to be scraped off and resealed. If its a rubber roof that's been sitting in the California sun for the last 9 or 10 years it might need to be recoated if it hasn't been done recently.
Check under chassis for leaks, differential,oil pan, trans pan. Any thing loose or hanging off. Heavy rust etc.
And bring a strong flashlight to look in cabinets, closets, walls and at the ceiling for water stains.
Open the awnings make sure they are in good condition..
Exterior lights all work.
Bring your smart phone, if you find something that needs to be fixed or replaced,look it up to see the cost involved, and negotiate that off the price.
Don't let the seller rush you through, take your time.
That's all I can think of at the moment, good luck hope everything checks out.

Gene
Stellar list Gene, thank you! Will advise!
SDGreenroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like a clean rig. You can Google RV PDI Checklist and there are some pretty thorough ones on there you could print out to bring with you. Good luck.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2007 coach with original tires - it is due for a new set of shoes no matter what they look like. If a tire fails it's not just the tire expense and the safety issue, but also the damage it can do to the coach. Please do yourself and others on the road the favor and budget for a new set of shoes right way.

Also be sure and get Coach Net or Good Sam ERS in place before taking delivery.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #19

I think your making a good move. As long as everything checks out before signing. It's a very nice looking rig and some very low miles to be 9 years old. I would definitely check everything up one side and down the other.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmoke2 View Post
I think your making a good move. As long as everything checks out before signing. It's a very nice looking rig and some very low miles to be 9 years old. I would definitely check everything up one side and down the other.
Well everyone, I did just what we discussed. Spent a combined 2-3 hours on a PDI and found some maintenance (or lack thereof) concerns. The coolant had fragments in it and the tranny fluid was brown. The owner wasn't certain or if any oil change had been done. Just a few too many red flags, so back to the drawing board!

Thank you for all your help and support, stay tuned for the next one!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry it didn't work out, better to find issues before you put your money down, than after.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #22

Sorry but glad to hear your news.. There is another one out there with your name on it.

I bet you learned a lot form this one experience. I can say from experience that when you are looking at RV's you tend to have rose colored glasses on.

Keep us posted on what you find.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Trans Fluid

allison fluid known to get dark. I wouldnt let that scare me. Just change filters and fluid as long as it shifts ok.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #24

Personally, I wouldn't let those two minor issues scare you off... It's an Allison transmission.. those are pretty bullet proof.. I would think a thorough flushing, along with new filters would do the trick...

As for the coolant... again.. a thorough flushing of the fluids would be in line..

I can't see how either of those two issues could lead to a catastrophic failure... I would make some calls and get pricing on both flushes and then go back with an offer.. If everything else has checked out.. you maybe be passing up on a diamond... Please consult your local Chevrolet garage to confirm your suspicions.. but the 8.1 engine is a great engine and I cannot imagine a few fragments would be much of a big deal..

Edit: Since it's an Allison.. You could always get an oil sample and send it in to make you feel better.. It appears both of the fluids in question have been overlooked due to low miles.. People forget there is always a "time" component to every "mileage" component.. Often, we only use the mileage one...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2007 Bounder

I agree with dsrtrider & oakcreekeric,

A good flushing of the radiator and transmission would be in order. Allison tranny fluid is known to get dark, especially when sitting for long periods, which I think this did. Also, sometimes short trips do not let fluids circulate and heat up enough and they tend to actually need replacing more often.

Tires are a definite issue at that age. Does not matter how they loook on the outside. Inside cracking of sidewalls is the issue.

$47K is a good price as NadaGuides lists $53.5K to $64K as price range from low to High Retail. Might indicate owner was having issues. I would ask him if you could take to your own mechanic and have it checked out. If he agrees, that is good. Means he is not afraid of you finding a secret problem.

If you really like this MH and do decide to go further, please PM me and I will ask my RV friends who live in El Cajon fora recommended RV mechanic to take it to.

Just my 2c

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #26

price is good, according to nada, if the seller knows what the value is, he might not budge for the tires, even though they are way out of date
Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$47K is a good price as NadaGuides lists $53.5K to $64K as price range fr

If you really like this MH and do decide to go further, please PM me and I will ask my RV friends who live in El Cajon fora recommended RV mechanic to take it to.

Just my 2c[/QUOTE]

How can you beat this.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Sorry but glad to hear your news.. There is another one out there with your name on it.

I bet you learned a lot form this one experience. I can say from experience that when you are looking at RV's you tend to have rose colored glasses on.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Thanks Bug512, well I did just that! We did find one! I made the 5-hour drive to pick it up and will be posting a thread on here real soon! Thanks for the support! Stay tuned!