Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #15

Over half of the tires are visibly dry rotted. Would guess they are 8-10 yrs old. Rv sat for awhile ... like 6 years... Hoping to find some barely used tires to keep cost down.

The guy had no idea what he had. He told people that the transmission was gone and every line on it was busted or rotted. The transmission was leaking from the trans cooler line... so no fluid = No movement.. not exactly rocket science. Plus he drove it there and parked it. Transmission isnt going to go bad sitting. Said the motor worked but couldn't get it running. Batteries and starting fluid and it started right up in like 10 mins.

Ya I def have the mechanical ability and I have even done some very basic reupolstery too. Plus it helps that my dad was a ford mechanic for years so I have his help as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #16

Nice find. I also have a weakness for older RVs. I am assuming this is your first RV and the one piece of advice I have to offer is have the roof looked at and at the minimum resealed. Every RV or camper that I have had had been over 5 years old and everyone has had roof issues. Its better to catch them earlier than later.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrex View Post
Nice find. I also have a weakness for older RVs. I am assuming this is your first RV and the one piece of advice I have to offer is have the roof looked at and at the minimum resealed. Every RV or camper that I have had had been over 5 years old and everyone has had roof issues. Its better to catch them earlier than later.
Very good advice and yes it is my first RV. The roof is something I know I need to address. There are some visible splits in the rubber roof where it bends over the sides. I have it covered with a tarp for the time being until i can get it sealed up. Also need to replace the vent caps that are on the roof as well and I'm gonna reseal around the ac's just as a precaution.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations! That rig need to be run and used. You'll get it up to snuff and enjoy it. Many years I hope.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #19

i'll give you $1000 for the genset if it's a diesel :P

Nice deal! I've been looking for one of these just to get the genset out of it!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #20

That's part of the reason I bought it. I figured worst case I had that for $1000
Old 11-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #21

I'll give ya a thou for the Genny.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations!

Glad someone who appreciates what they have bought it and will put her back on the highway.

Personally I think you'd do better with a full set of inexpensive Sailun (Chinese) tires from Big-O than buying used tires.

I'd enjoy following your progress and travels.

Cheers!
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I would get a $1000.00 worth of enjoyment out of just messing with it.I love working on and fixing stuff.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the buy of this amazing rig! Wen they made these they did it right. You will have some TLC as you said but imagine what it is going to look like when you are done with it!

Please go to the "Vintage Forum" and post your project of the rebuild because I think it will be amazing! Thanks for saving another older beaut. Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #25

Congrats on the find. I too have an appreciation for older simplistic motor homes. Our 34J was purchased AFTER all the renovation had been done, but at only 3300 miles, its been an awesome first motor home. Now at 10,700 miles, it has been bullet proof. We did do a complete new set of tires from Les Schwab...about $2,000 for 6.

We will be upgrading next year as we now full time and at least one slide would be nice. Someone will get a great coach when we sell.

Definitely beats the tent trailer!

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood