Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New to us 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD

We will be taking delivery on our "new" coach on Thursday 10/9! Very excited to have a great coach to spend the winter traveling around in. I'll post photos after we pick her up.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #2

Great, like waiting on Santa.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Congrats and be sure to post some pictures. We love pictures.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #5

Exciting!!!
Sheila and roger
3 dogs and our 04 Country Coach Allure
swedegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A solitary pic at the dealers. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01146.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	75857  
Old 10-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #7

A twin....

Just picked up our '04 AD in August. Looks like the same color scheme. 32k miles. Great so far! Wonder if it has the same Cat power plant? Hopefully we don't get them mixed up in a park somewhere. Not sure how to post a pic or I would.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pahipskind: No kitties here...it's a 400ISL Cummins.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

I am jealous! That's the one thing I'm missing - a shinny red engine - but sometimes you can't choose when you're buying used.

I did think of one quirk that bugs me - tank capacities. The brochures that I found online for our 2004 said 89 gal fresh water (including WH), but dang if mine isn't 79 gallons exactly (10 gal in WH, plus 69 gal measured several times from a full dump to fill tube overflow with a water meter). Bottom line is there is 69 usable gallons. However, if you could use all my calculations wrt the water usage (gal/min) of every faucet, spigot, etc in the coach, I'd be glad to share this as well as my rules of thumb for a party of two.

Fresh water capacity isn't the most annoying however. Basically due to a design flaw in the diesel fill tubes, I can't get much more than 3/4 tank full at the pump. It's never the same, so it's hard to get an accurate MPG (6-10 mpg depending), and I've tried everything found online as a trick to do better. Basically this cuts into the range, but more importantly, there is a cut off on the diesel generator at about 1/8 tank that I found out about the hard way. Bottom line is that we have ~65 usable gallons and an effective range of 400 miles.

We should keep in contact. I'm guessing we could help each other out substantially along the way (except for that beautiful hunk of red iron in the rear!). Recently added an LED light strip to the right side slide out, worked on my Atwood water heater this passed weekend, and currently planning my first shot at winterization in the next month or so.

If i do it right, here is a picture of ours at delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	76017  
Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm...that is concerning. Have you done any research on the fuel fill issue? I've done quite a bit of research on the coach and this is the first I've heard of it. Wondering if it's yours? Or a few models? Is there a fix?

Where are you located? We're in Warren, Oregon, about 30 minutes north of Portland.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #11

I've done several things only to confirm that the fill tube design on this specific year was faulty. You can see it by getting under the left side slide. Starting at the fill tube door/cap, you'll see that the tube makes a long horizontal run and enters the tank several inches BELOW the top of the tank. This is the key problem. Perhaps yours was manufactured substantially later in the year (we think ours came off assemble in February?), and you won't have this problem.

I've tried 'letting the foam settle,' opening both fuel doors while filling (not real smart as it tends to come out the other side rapidly), and had my dealer check the vent tube at the top of the tank for kinks (none). They told me they called Winnebago, and they confirmed the issue. There is apparently a fix out there, but it's quite expensive (new fuel tank and plumbing). The best I've been able to do is to fill the coach on a slight incline (placing the active fill tube side of coach higher than the other), and with this and patience (slow fill, let foam settle, repeat, etc) I can almost get 7/8 of a tank. Routinely however I get only a tick above 3/4 by going to the third click at the pump. If yours doesn't do it or if you find something else to try, let me know. I might have you take a picture of your fill tube for comparison.

We are in Indiana. Hoping to head west with the rig next summer...
Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pahipskind,

So there's a weird design issue in the galley and I'm wondering if your coach has the same issue. Our slide out cabinet doesn't slide out completely. It never has. Took a really good look at the slide and it's working correctly. However, the cabinet is only a little more than 1/2 exposed. The inboard door is exposed, but the outboard door is not.

Is yours similar or do you have access to both doors?

Lyman
Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #13

Lyman - was going through some old posts, and found this one. How is your horizon behaving? My was great over the last two years (just completed a 4K mile loop out to Glacier, YS, and Tetons), but as of a week ago, we've traded and have a 2017 Newmar Dutch Star on order. Kind of sad to see our previous coach go, but time to move on. Hope all is well.

Tags
itasca