Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

New to us, first MH ...2002 Daybreak

How'd I do? Been looking for a few months, looked at a bunch of under 20K motorhomes, eventually went with this one. So many posts on this forum was useful to me during my search as a total noob to the world of motorhomes, thanks to everyone here. Looking to camp mainly within 100 miles of home with my 9 and 10 year old and my wife, with probably one long trip per summer out west or Disneyworld, things like that.

MH has 21,000 miles, 124 hrs on the 5500 onan gen, is on the lighter workhorse chassis, so a 4 speed, no allison. Everything works great, no leaks or damage or rust underneath, really clean, got it for 15K. How'd I do? We go to pick it up this wed..any immediate engine maintenence i should be thinking of, besides changing the oil? Im going to winterize it and get it under its new cover after a bath, not really going to be using until spring . Cant wait to get started making it ours...I'm aure I'll be here for lots of help along the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477268222232.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	142406   Click image for larger version

Name:	1477268234233.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	142407  

Name:	1477268259499.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	142408   Click image for larger version

Name:	1477268263622.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	142409  

C513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

Forgot a couple of other things...old tires. Thats a planned expense we're ready for...little faded but not too bad, no peeling or anything.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Made it home safe, kids love it, can't wait for spring! Drove great...glad to have my first few hours driving under my belt as well. Starting on my first project today, ordering a new backup cam and taking out the old POS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161029_181711.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	143226  
Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #4

Good luck and make sure you take care of the tires asap
Old 11-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

Thanks jetty, I will. I was scared enough driving it two hours home on 10 yeae old tires....kids did not make that ride! Next
Old 11-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

Time it leaves the driveway is to go to the tire shop (sorry i cut myself off in the middle there)
Old 11-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C513 View Post
How'd I do? Been looking for a few months, looked at a bunch of under 20K motorhomes, eventually went with this one. So many posts on this forum was useful to me during my search as a total noob to the world of motorhomes, thanks to everyone here. Looking to camp mainly within 100 miles of home with my 9 and 10 year old and my wife, with probably one long trip per summer out west or Disneyworld, things like that.

MH has 21,000 miles, 124 hrs on the 5500 onan gen, is on the lighter workhorse chassis, so a 4 speed, no allison. Everything works great, no leaks or damage or rust underneath, really clean, got it for 15K. How'd I do? We go to pick it up this wed..any immediate engine maintenence i should be thinking of, besides changing the oil? Im going to winterize it and get it under its new cover after a bath, not really going to be using until spring . Cant wait to get started making it ours...I'm aure I'll be here for lots of help along the way!

How did you do? I think you did great!

You have no idea how many memories you and you beautiful family will have with that RV. Or maybe you do, which is why you bought it.

You've got little or no miles on it, price is low and its big enough to be comfortable and maybe tow a small car.

REgarding maintenance... its the house stuff that will drive you crazy before the engine. Be sure to test everything, reseal the roof, check the vents for cracks, inspect the awnings and run that generator once a month for about 20 mins if you want to save a fortune on genset repairs.

I hope you get to use it often... not just for holidays and special occasions. We started with an old class C about 14 years ago. I cleaned it up and we used it for not only camping on the weekends, but we would load up the kids and take them to the park or the beach on random weekends. We went to six flags and used it for soccer tournaments and stuff like that. My kids are in college now, but the memories last.

Now we use the RV to go visit the kids in college.

Good fun.

Congrats.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post

You have no idea how many memories you and you beautiful family will have with that RV. Or maybe you do, which is why you bought it.

You've got little or no miles on it, price is low and its big enough to be comfortable and maybe tow a small car.

REgarding maintenance... its the house stuff that will drive you crazy before the engine. Be sure to test everything, reseal the roof, check the vents for cracks, inspect the awnings and run that generator once a month for about 20 mins if you want to save a fortune on genset repairs.

I hope you get to use it often... not just for holidays and special occasions. We started with an old class C about 14 years ago. I cleaned it up and we used it for not only camping on the weekends, but we would load up the kids and take them to the park or the beach on random weekends. We went to six flags and used it for soccer tournaments and stuff like that. My kids are in college now, but the memories last.

Good fun.

Congrats.
I thinks thats a great deal. I like the opposing sofas, kid of unusual for gassers I have seen. I bought 6 Hankooks online and shipped for about 1200.00. Mounted and beads for less than 200 at a local tire shop. 8r-19.5
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post

Good fun.

Congrats.

^^this^^

we had such fun with our kids'n'bounder adventures back in the day - snow skiing, scuba diving, water skiing, campground camping, Disney and other amusement parks - man, it was **great!".

great move on your part, enjoy!
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel better to know you all think we made a reasonable decision price-wise.

You guys hit it on the head too...going to hit the road with the kiddos...Disney, we've got a great amusement park about an hour away called cedar point, camping within 100 miles or so of home, with a couple of longer trips per summer. Making memories, i know its going to be a great time.

Thanks for the advice on the maintenece too. I've been working through it. New chassis battery, dry lubed my slide out , changed oil, lubed chassis, dicor 'd the roof, checked the seams on the sides, added stabill....going to wait on tires until spring since it's not going anywhere till then, but i think im going to do exacrly what was suggested and buy them online.

Should i run the genny every month even if i have the pet cock turned and ran it dry of gas? The house batteriea need replaced so its a pita to start right now.

Had my first problem too...turned the key, no beep, no dash lights. Thia forum saved me a ton od cash...apparently its a known issue on the p32 chassis. Bought a new ignition switch, wired up a relay based on great info i found here, and she started like a champ. Now I'm actually glad it happened here and not out on a trip.

Thanks again all-
Old 11-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, you're making good progress getting ready to go. Now the hard part will be waiting until spring.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks great. Sounds great. Enjoy!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by C513 View Post

Should i run the genny every month even if i have the pet cock turned and ran it dry of gas? The house batteriea need replaced so its a pita to start right now.

Yes, run that generator once a month. Run the engine too. Then flush the toilet, run a little water through the sinks, turn on the hot water heater and the furnace. Just enough to prove to yourself that it still works. Never, ever let the house batteries go dead. Just don't do it.

In the 13 years experience that I have RV'ng, I have learned that the enemy of all RV's is sitting idle. I will say that again... "the enemy of all RV's is sitting idle". Winter is upon us and many will not really use their RV until the spring. Nothing is worse than planning a spring trip after a long winter and then realizing that nothing works because you haven't turned anything on
in four months.

I've been burned by my own laziness too many times. You'll find out that things just work and continue to work when you use it on occasion. I got 4 house batteries... when they are dead... I lose a full day I don't have trying to get them charged up again. Running the generator helps with that. Run the AC. too. My slideouts work better when I use them more often. I keep my tires inflated too.

In the spring time, every RV shop is overwhelmed with work from people who let things sit too long.

I make it a point, once a month, to exercise the systems in my RV. I actually get a sandwich and eat my lunch while the generator and AC is going. 10-15 mins is all it takes. When my lunch is finished, I turn off everything and come back next month. It costs me nothing to do this.

Its hard to explain... Or maybe its not. But this has been my experience.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

Thanka Maurice, i appreciate the reply and it's good advice. Not sure i can run the ac, its under the cover and the wind chill here in ohio today is around 10 degrees, with blowing snow. I cant imagine uncovering it in dec jan feb to run it is better than keeping the snow off of it, but as soon as the weather breaks i will.

The generator tho, I'm running. My chassis battery ia shut off and the house batteries are bad , but instead of replacing them to sit out there all winter I'm going to use my jump start box to get the generatoe going every three weeks and let it run under load for awhile. Next winter there will be new house batteries in it, ill either pull them and use the same method or put a battery tender on them to keep them maintained.

Everything else, I'll run as often as weather allows. I've read conflicting information about wether its better to idle the engine, and my inclination is to let it sit through the three months of bad winter until i can actually drive it again as opposed to just starting it and letting it idle.

Anyway, thanks again. Appreciate all of the help from all here who have the experience i still lack, it really helps.