Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #1

We live out on the "Left Coast" in Oregon and recently upgraded to a new diesel pickup and 5vr. Thought I'd brag a bit.

I haven't taken a pic of the whole rig hooked yet, or even one of the 5vr. We've been busy shaking down the rig and thankfully our fixit list for the dealer is very short.

We purchased a new '06 Chev 1Ton Duramax Diesel crewcab with all the goodies in March, then purchased the 5vr a month ago.

Here's a pic of the truck (not a great one) plus a webpic of the Eagle. Hopefully Jayco will forgive me for using their pic for now. I'll post a fully hooked pic of the entire rig in my profile later.

Wife and I have been RV'n for a while, having had a popup trailer (does that count as an RV? ) then we had two different travel trailers, moved up to an older Winnie Brave, then an older DP. We found we hated to tow a toad (just more dead weight to move and man, did the fuel mileage go down!) plus the front of the Class A's was dedicated to driving. So, for the same length, we have much more living space.

Well, 'nuff said for now. Glad to be here and am more than willing to share our experiences, my knowledge of trucks, diesels and RV'n in general. My email address should be posted on my profile and I'm sure there's a private message function here that can be used as well so get in touch with us!

Here's the pics:

Crew Cab, Banks Power
MADDOG` is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #2

We live out on the "Left Coast" in Oregon and recently upgraded to a new diesel pickup and 5vr. Thought I'd brag a bit.

I haven't taken a pic of the whole rig hooked yet, or even one of the 5vr. We've been busy shaking down the rig and thankfully our fixit list for the dealer is very short.

We purchased a new '06 Chev 1Ton Duramax Diesel crewcab with all the goodies in March, then purchased the 5vr a month ago.

Here's a pic of the truck (not a great one) plus a webpic of the Eagle. Hopefully Jayco will forgive me for using their pic for now. I'll post a fully hooked pic of the entire rig in my profile later.

Wife and I have been RV'n for a while, having had a popup trailer (does that count as an RV? ) then we had two different travel trailers, moved up to an older Winnie Brave, then an older DP. We found we hated to tow a toad (just more dead weight to move and man, did the fuel mileage go down!) plus the front of the Class A's was dedicated to driving. So, for the same length, we have much more living space.

Well, 'nuff said for now. Glad to be here and am more than willing to share our experiences, my knowledge of trucks, diesels and RV'n in general. My email address should be posted on my profile and I'm sure there's a private message function here that can be used as well so get in touch with us!

Here's the pics:

Crew Cab, Banks Power
Old 10-14-2006, 04:39 AM   #3

Good luck with the new set-up, looks nice!
Buzzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Nice rig!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #5

MADDOG, you should be bragging nice unit. Ed.S
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #6

Thanks, guys. I really like this site!

Bob - Ed: Nice Newmars. Bob, yours is an Essex, isn't it? My daughter's in-laws have one...very nice.

Dave, Nice rig yerself!

I'm looking forward to spending some time on the forums here. Hopefully I can help folks in need and they can do the same for me.

Crew Cab, Banks Power
Old 10-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on the new outfit - really nice!
We discovered Newport Beach, Oregon a couple of years ago and have made two trips there so far. We "hang out" at Beverly Beach State Park and Outdoor Resorts.
Regards.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the comments, Canuck.

We spend a lot of time at the coast and feel very fortunate we are so close. We're only an hour to an hour and a half away from most mid to north Oregon coast areas.

If you get out here again, Nehalem Bay State Park is a great one to visit. North of there, near historic Astoria and Fort Clatsop (where Lewis & Clark wintered) is Fort Stevens State Park. You can't go wrong at either.

Again, thanks for the reply. We are looking forward to many wonderful outings with the new 5vr.

Crew Cab, Banks Power
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #9

Congrat's nice rigs. I too have a Duramax & love it! We love the Oregon coast - for the last 5 years we have spent a week at Nehalem Bay - great park. We took our pickup camper & trailered a Honda Goldwing - then we cruise up & down 101 with the motorcycle. Beautiful coastline!!

We just sold the TC & are now looking for a TT so we have more room. Then we will haul the Goldwing in the truck bed.

Enjoy your new set up!

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #10

Hey, Riverdog. Thanks for the comments. I hope you find the TT you are looking for. Have you considered a 5vr? I prefer them over a TT immensely. Your DMax should have no problem pulling one.

Are you out here in Orygun or just come by here once in a while?

Crew Cab, Banks Power
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #11

Maddog, I'd love to go with a 5vr, but I like to bring my Honda Goldwing motorcycle. So I need to leave the back of the truck available for the bike.

I know they make bunkhouse models but, not to knock bunkhouses, they feel like living in a garage to me. I realize there are nice 5vr bunkhouses that seperate the "garage" from the rest of the trailer to avoid this feeling, but those are soooo nice they are beyond the price I want to pay.

To your other question - I live in Spokane, WA so I make it to your coast a couple of times a year. As a matter of fact, my next trip is scheduled over Thanksgiving.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #12

Riverdog,

I know what you mean about the toyboxes. They do kind of feel like you are living in a garage. One thing to consider. The newer toybox models have differing sizes for the garage in the back, with a smaller garage area and of course a ramp, and a nice solid wall between that and the main living area. A lot of the earlier models basically were over half garage with fold down bunks, tables, etc...with a small kitchen, which is what I expect you have already seen. The newer ones sell for about the same price as a regular 5vr and I never did understand why a nice toybox was more expensive than a regular 5vr. I mean, heck, half the dang thing is empty!

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide on.

Crew Cab, Banks Power
Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #13

Maddog - I saw what you are talking about at the RV show here last year. It was a 38' 5ver where the last 10' was a seperate garage. This left a very nice 28' 5ver for living. The RV Show price was $58k..ouch!!

Yesterday I had RV Direct quote me on a new 2007 Jayco Eagle 288RLS...MSRP was $28+ and their price was $19+. The downside is I will need to drive to Des Moines, IA to pick it up. However a good trip is always fun.

So for the difference in price I think I will carry the bike in the back of the truck.

Funny how sometimes the topics morph into a whole new topic. I hope you enjoy your new Eagle!!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #14

Riverdog,

Sounds like you have done your homework and I think you have a good plan. Before you go to Des Moines, take one more look, or call a dealer; to see if they have a 5ver with a smaller garage in the back. I just went to a show here in Portland a month ago and, it was either Jayco or one of the Fleetwood products, had a nice 5vr, with a 6' long garage in the back, with a separate living area. I think the whole thing was 34 or 36 feet long and the show price was $45K. As we all know, show prices are better than MSRP but are still somewhere's around 25% above cost so there's still rooom to negotiate the price down.

In any event, let us know what you decide. And when you get the new rig, post some pics here! I'd love to see it.

Crew Cab, Banks Power