Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Looks like you clicked when you should have clacked. Maybe put this in the wrong thread?...

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Sounds like you have a dealer problem, they should have done a proper PDI before you got the unit. Why are you calling Open Range, the dealer should be taking care of everything.

Excel and Cameo units are 2,000 lbs heavier and cost 10K more.

We put over 6500 miles on it this year and love it.

Jim
Jim&MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No mistake Terry..."Open Range"...get it? I'm not helping but I couldn't resist, sorry.

Drew
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #18

Open Range 2010 Disaster

Thanks for all your comments and RV suggestions!

Sadly, 1 year after we bought our unit the Dealer closed its doors and as everyone knows most RV dealers will not service your RV unless you bought it from them. These are dealers that Open Range has even sent us to.

We did do a PDI and it took two months for them to order parts and repair all the problems we identified, before we could take possession.

Once we started using our Open Range we complained about the fact that we had no heat in the back kitchen and that we never seemed to be able to drain the tanks completely therefore there was a smell coming from our toilet. We were told that it is natural to have less heat in the back kitchen because you want most of your heat on the front tanks. As for the smell they said that they needed to adjust the tanks which they claim they did. Sounds reasonable right?

What we discovered months later after WE removed the panel under the 5th Wheel is that the black tank had sheared off at the top connection and had fallen causing one of the brackets holding the tank to dislodge and slice through the heating duct. Thus explaining why we had no heat in the kitchen and the smell coming from the bathroom.

This is just one of many issues we have had with our Open Range 5th Wheel.

To give Open Range some credit, they did recognize the seriousness of the situation after viewing the pictures and paid the full amount for repairs. Of course this wasn’t until I started including the President, Randy Graber, in all our communications.

After a summer spent repairing our not even two year old trailer, we are at the point where we just want to get all the remaining problems fixed so we can trade it for something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black tank.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	5920  
Love to RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
as everyone knows most RV dealers will not service your RV unless you bought it from them
Sorry that has been your experience ...I have heard others say the same, but we have never had that experience. We have been all over the US in the past 7 years with our coach, and have probably been to over a dozen dealers (most were Winnebago/Itasca, but some were not) for service of one kind or another, and have never once been told they would not provide service because we didn't buy our RV there.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
I definitely don't want to hijack this thread but I found it in a Google search and I'd like to provide another perspective from an Open Range customer. I purchased my 2010 Open Range 385RLS fiver new in April of 2009 from RV America in Aurora CO. I am very happy with my decision. I have pulled this trailer on many trips in the 20 months I have owned this unit probably towing it close to 6,000 miles. My Open Range has been easy to tow, is extremely comfortable and has proven to be reliable. Have I had any issues? Of course I have but they have been fairly minor and the dealer and Open Range have stepped up and taken care of these issues under warranty. I actually had warranty service done at Camping World here in Colorado Springs and both Camping World and Open Range were very accommodating in making these service arrangements so I wouldn't have to tow my trailer all the way to Denver.

I'm sorry to hear about anyone that has major issues with such a major investment as a fifth wheel and the dealer and Open Range should step up and address the issues for the customer. My experience is that Open Range does step up and I am fortunate to have a dealer that has also backed the product they sell. I think it's important to keep an open mind and not pass judgement on any manufacturer based on a single customer's experience. I see threads all the time on some of the other automobile and RV forums I read and it seems common for all manufacturers to have had a customer with a bad experience express to others "to run away" from that product because of that negative experience. I just wanted to express another perspective.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #21

Happy New Year, 2011 has got to be better than 2010.

An update on my disaster Open Range. My RV has been parked now for nearly 2 years. Not a full time resident in the RV but use it as a home base because I travel. Each time I come home new problems pops up.
Yesterday, a couple knocked on the door. They were driving in and out of this RV park looking at different models and make of RV's. I invited them in for a look. No doubt this is a good looking 5th Wheel. Now the question, what my opinion is on this product. I told them to call the CEO of Open Range and ask them why they don't stand by their product.
I am selling this unit, hopefully all the kinks will be out before it is sold. Onto big and better quests.
trigsortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #22

Unhappy Open Range 340 FLR problem

Well...let me tell you about our experience with an Open Range Journeyer 340 FLR....That floor plan is great but it has a really bad sway problem...as stated in Trailer Life March 2010 issue. It has a bad weight distribution problem. In November 2010, it swayed so bad it took us down an embankment on I-44....totaled my F-250 diesel and the trailer and I had the Reese Dual Cam hitch that's suppose to take care of a problem like that. No weather, other vehicles or speed involved. But I will admit that OR service dept. was very good to us on a few minor issues that our rig needed. Sad part is....now we're looking for another trailer and OR still has the best floor plans out there....just won't get the 340FLR. There is also another owners website... www.openrangeownersforum.com. Check it out.
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #23

Sorry...the site is www.openrangervowners.forumco.com
iluvcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #24

Am glad I have checked this forum. My son looked at Open Ranges today (I was along). I tried to check the Open Range forum at the two addresses listed in this thread, and neither one seemed to work. Could the person who posted this review it and see if it is correct. We are very interested in hearing more people's comments. I noted one very positive comment, but most were negative. If there are others who can comment, please do. Thanks.

Beverly
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wife and I had a 1991 Kountry Aire 36 ft 5th wheel triple slide, it was the most trouble free, highest quality, best made and best supported RV imaginable. Pricy at the beginning but what is the cost of grief from inferior design and parts ? We literally lived, fulltime, in it from 91 thru 97 and it was like a Deluxe Condo. Heavy to tow, but we used a C/K 3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel, SRW 4WD and it averaged between 11.5 and 13 MPG in the rockies and almost 16 "back east" so we felt quite apeased with the weight issue. Cannot remember a day of frustration or disgust the entire time we owned it !
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will add an observation... I though I had researched well before I got my class A but then I found a bunch of stuff I did not know about.. Thankfully,,, I got lucky on those issues.. Take, for exmple, converters.

Many less expensive models come with single stage battery killers.

But I'm happy to report I got a PDI 9180 with wizard (That is about as far from those low end single stage as you can get, among the very best)

As an example.. There are several things I might well order ... differently... If I were re-ordering today.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy and Beverly View Post
Am glad I have checked this forum. My son looked at Open Ranges today (I was along). I tried to check the Open Range forum at the two addresses listed in this thread, and neither one seemed to work. Could the person who posted this review it and see if it is correct. We are very interested in hearing more people's comments. I noted one very positive comment, but most were negative. If there are others who can comment, please do. Thanks.

Beverly
If the one positive reply you are referring to was #20 please bear in mind that was a one time poster who has not returned since that one and only post was made.

While being a one post member is in itself not bad I'm suggesting in this case that you weigh that post against other posts made in this thread and proceed accordingly.

This is my personal opinion I posted and not that of iRV2.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #28

Thanks for these replies. We will keep on researching. Great to have this forum. My son is looking for a quality fifth wheel to pull with his 2007 Dodge 2500 FWD (diesal). He has a 32/37' Titanium, 2002 yr. model, which he bought used a few years ago. He would like to upgrade to something that has a bedroom slide. His truck handles the Titanium beautifully and gets 12 mpg., but he doesn't need to go any heavier. We have talked to a couple people who have 36' Cameos who were pulling with Dogde 2500, and they said they handled fine. We are a bit leary, though. As he, wife, and child live in the trailer while he works construction, he needs as big as possible without going to a new, larger truck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Beverly

Beverly
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland