Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #1

Hi,

We travelled from the UK on a 6 month tourist visa to buy an RV & car in which to tour the USA and Canada.
Here we are set up just outside Titusville to see the winter through.

Would love to here from other Discovery owners BOTH present and past.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
MicknPat...
Congrats on your new to you Discovery and Jeep!! I would like to officially welcome you to this side of the big pond along with a big welcome to iRV2!! You have come across what I feel is the friendliest and most knowledgable RV forum on the web, so pull up a chair, pour a spot of tea and enjoy all the information and friendly bantering here at iRV2.
May I also suggest that you ask for some "Fleetwood Owners Forum Member" Karma...this just associates you as a proud owner of your Fleetwood...but it is easier for folks to remember what you own.

By the way.. I have such fond memories of our neighbor, Mrs. Tully..who was from the UK, who babysat us when I was a little girl. It is where I learned that not all tea was iced!
Again, Welcome to Irv2 and to North America... Enjoy your time here!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #3

MicknPat, Congratulations on getting your new coach and car, very nice.
Were wintering in Zephyrhills, Fl, hope your experience in the United States will be exciting, good luck with your travels. Ed.S
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #4

Congrates to you both - I am in the process of looking into the purchase of a rv in the States and travelling around for a while then drive it back to the UK through Europe.
I should like to hear all about your adventures, as I am sure all other irv2 members will.
Have a great adventure and keep us all posted.
Icey from Blighty
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #5

Hi Guys - back again - would appreciate any advice or tips you could give me on buying in the states...who did you use - the tax paid - registering the rig - etc. All help gratefully recieved - private me the info if you could.
Happy trails
Icey in Blighty
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #6

Thanks for those words of welcome,well our story.

We first visited the USA last year for a two week package holiday which included the flight,hire car and villa in Kissimmee, the purpose of that visit was to have a quick qlimpse of the country,its people and several RV dealerships.Well we BOTH fell in love with the country and it's very friendly people,we couldn't wait to return after selling our UK house.

We placed our house on the market in July and it sold within 5 weeks,I also during this time contacted the management company for the villa we stayed in and booked it for 28 day's believing that was plenty of time to buy an RV and car how wrong I was.

Now since our Sept 2006 visit an English friend who owns a villa in Florida informed me that he had bought a great RV which would be perfect for us,the photos looked great but the dark wood interior slightly put us off.

Now before going any further I'd better mention that it was our intention to buy BOTH RV and car using a Montana LLC and both this and a mailing address were set up before were left the UK for Florida.

On our arrival I upgraded our hire car to a Chrysler Sebring convertable this being the car we were considering purchasing,however it appeared that the companies who make the A frame and brackets hadn't yet produced one for either a 2007 or 2008 Sebring

We then decided on a Suzuki Grand Vitara but several dealers claimed they couldn't sell us a car via the Montana LLC.

Eventually we got fixed up with the Jeep only to find out that they were still producing the A frame bottom brackets and there was a waiting list.

Despite this our order was placed with Camping World to supply and install Roadmaster Falcon 2 and Brake-master, however this meant an extension of 11 days to our villa rental.

Other problems that we had related to our UK & USA banks BOTH HSBC but boy oh boy did the right hand NOT know what the left was doing.

Eventually all was sorted and we left Kissimmee for Titusville on Thanksgiving Day
Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome aboard the best darn RV site on the net.

I do have a question about your CB mount. That is exactly what I want to do and was wondering if Mick installed it or was it installed @ dealership? Is that a 4' antenna? Is the bracket mounted in the wall frame? Does the cable come out in the overhead cabinet above the drivers seat?

As you can see I only have a few questions. LOL

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:16 AM   #8

Quote:
BounderFreddy
Both the CB antenna and set, a Cobra 25 WX NW ST were installed either by the dealer or the first owner.

The antenna is installed through the side wall of the coach as you can see and emerges just above the hook for the front window curtain tie back.

The Cobra 25WXNWST has been installed to the drivers left below and under the transmission selector buttons.

Hope this helps,if you need to know more just ask.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 AM   #9

Nice rig. Enjoy your time here!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome and congrats on the new coach and tow vehicle! My husband is also british, he moved here in 1995 and now holds dual citizenship. Careful, you might get hooked on the good old U.S.A.!

Brenda, of...
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by bsavage:
My husband is also british, he moved here in 1995 and now holds dual citizenship. Careful, you might get hooked on the good old U.S.A.!

Brenda, of...
Brenda,

We believe we are already 'hooked' but in this day and age obtaining US citizenship is nearly impossible........... might try climbing the fence and walking across the Rio Grande
Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
MicknPat... don't we know it!! We were trying to have Tony's grown son move here to help run the business, but honestly, it is nearly impossible (or an 8 - 10 year wait). Don't get me started... LOL!

Brenda, of...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by MicknPat:

Would love to here from other Discovery owners BOTH present and past.
__________________________________________________ _

Hi ! I'm a former owner of a 99 Discovery which I sold in 2006 after 7 years of good service. I am presently trying to help a widow sell a 2006 39L (full wall slide). I am still a member of the Pioneers Chapter of DOAI which considers me an alumni and thus I attend attend their rallies with my Dutch Star. Discovery Owners _Association Inc (DOAI) is an independent group of about 1500 owners that has a very robust web site and e-group covering all technical problems and everything related to D's.

http://www.discoveryowners.com/home.htm

There SE USA rally will be held at LazyDays RV Park in Seffner, beginning January 24th for 5 days with 150 units coming normally.

I put up a web site in 99 that is obsolete in some areas but might have some use to you

mydrv.net
Old 02-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #14

Mick and Pat, I have just found your original post from back in 2007 and you have done what we are trying to do, you lucky devils.

We have been visiting the USA fo the last 12 years and with 3 years left to retirement we started looking during our last holiday ( Anna Maria island, Bardenton, Florida) at RV's. I also thought about taking a mail address in Montanna for the lower sales tax but it looks like hard work. What did you do about your UK drivibg licence? Our friends in Florida have said that without a Social security number you cannot get an American licence. Does it make any difference when you cane to take out car / RV insurance that you were on a UK licence.

From the photo you posted you looked to be very relaxed so I hope things are going just the way you want them.
We are back over in September visiting San Francisco, Las Vegas and onto Los Angeles. It is out second time to California and we are " getting married" again on the 22nd, it will be our 40th weding aniversery, but with a bit of luck I will find the odd day or so to look at mre RV's.,

Richard.
ps. it's 11 dec C over here.
Richard and Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote