Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Our first Mo/Ho, 99 Gulfstream...

Hello all,
After picking everybody's brain over the last little while I finally picked up our first rig. 1999 35 ft Gulfstream Sun Sport. My son and I participate in the drag racing hobby. Interest isn't going away anytime soon so we're pretty happy to be calling this home while racing. I've gathered after looking at many units online in our region (british columbia) the $20k asking price was a really good start. Actually i thought it was going to be rough because nice 10-12 year old v-10 gassers are going for high 20's up here. When I arrived the exterior was dusty/dirty and had wax residue on it as well so I wan't sure how that would work out? No body damage at all though. Awning was like new and the tires were Michelins at about 80% . The owner took me inside and I was relieved/excited to see the interior, very good condition. I liked the the blue/white and medium oak colors it offered. All system tested AOK, gen had 186 hrs, glass was good, no stains anywhere or broken trim/handles, perfect roof ect. 50K miles with full service records all in a folder to see. It had only been on the internet classifieds overnight and this was 9:30 am. He said a guy was there at 8:30 and offered him 16k, he turned him down. He also said two seperate people were on there way and would be there around noon. I wasn't sure if he was workin me or not? After some dickering the purchase price ended up being 17.6k with a promise there was no issues, but I had very little time to get back with the deposit to hold it until the bank would open next day. I got back there just after the other people had arrived. They wanted to buy it but I was there 10 minutes under my noon deadline, yikes. Oh ya, he threw in the brand new never used mo/ho cover and a excali-bar set up that I'll sell locally. The exterior shows very well after a wash job too. Thanks for checking in, here's some pictures...

nubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on your new rig!

Looks great and sounds like you got a super deal. Now go have some fun!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm happy for you. Very nice looking, and it looks well kept. Suggest you use Zep Floor wax product. Start your search here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/red-m...-93958-14.html
Many more threads about the use of this product are on irv2.com.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey, no fair.... All I'm seeing is a bunch of little squares with red "X"'s in them instead of pictures. I'm sure you will enjoy your new motorhome.

What are the date codes on those Michelins? Anything over 6-8 years old are an accident waiting to happen. When those things decide to blow, or shed the rubber tread, they do catastrophic damage to anything within several feet of the tire. This can include panels, water tanks, lines for jacks, electrical wire bundles, etc., etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Looks like you got a very nice rig. Looks nice and clean on the inside, and out. I too would caution you to check the tire more carefully. Motorhome tires usually die of old age, not wear! Check the date codes to determine their age. Also check carefully between the treads for cracks. I had an old set of Michelins on a motorhome years ago, at first glance they looked great! Careful checking revealed some cracks between the treads (sidewalls looked perfect). They were almost 10 yrs old when we took one off the rim. The inside was full of cracks. We were definately riding on borrowed time. Replaced them with new Goodyear RV tires and never looked back.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Looks great! Congrats.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

I agree on 2 points! You bought a great MH at a very good price. Tires on MH's need replacing after 6-7 years max regardless of how they look. Ask me how I know??? A blowout at 60 mph on the right front of our Allegro Bus at 6 years old. Once is all it takes to make you a believer, very scary situation, dangerous too!!!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Congrats, very nice looking rig!!
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

I have the 'reverse design,' well slightly different, in a 2002 ... thing runs like a clock. Only one minor 'issue' (leak under the sink) and mobile repair guys were doing something a couple of spaces up from me.

Fellows came down, took a look and an hour later with cut this/re-route (what the hell were they thinking?) of pipe and good to go. Couldn't write them the cheque fast enough.

That aside, what engine do you have in same?

fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #10

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
Hey, no fair.... All I'm seeing is a bunch of little squares with red "X"'s in them instead of pictures. I'm sure you will enjoy your new motorhome.

What are the date codes on those Michelins? Anything over 6-8 years old are an accident waiting to happen. When those things decide to blow, or shed the rubber tread, they do catastrophic damage to anything within several feet of the tire. This can include panels, water tanks, lines for jacks, electrical wire bundles, etc., etc.
The Gentleman makes a good point; sun on this size tyres is a Ooooo. Have them checked.

fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Nice! Should make the track a lot more enjoyable...

Steve
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I have the 'reverse design,' well slightly different, in a 2002 ... thing runs like a clock. Only one minor 'issue' (leak under the sink) and mobile repair guys were doing something a couple of spaces up from me.

Fellows came down, took a look and an hour later with cut this/re-route (what the hell were they thinking?) of pipe and good to go. Couldn't write them the cheque fast enough.

That aside, what engine do you have in same?

fae
Thanks! and its the v-10 triton by the way...
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Nice! Should make the track a lot more enjoyable...

Steve
Thanks Steve! Very much looking forward to hitting the drag strip next weekend. Hopefully I'll have the systems all figured out before hand so I can relax?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I agree on 2 points! You bought a great MH at a very good price. Tires on MH's need replacing after 6-7 years max regardless of how they look. Ask me how I know??? A blowout at 60 mph on the right front of our Allegro Bus at 6 years old. Once is all it takes to make you a believer, very scary situation, dangerous too!!!!
We went over 8½ years with our OEM Michelins with no troubles even though there were a few cracks around the lettering in the sidewalls. I ordered the tires and had to wait for them to be brought into the warehouse and shipped out to the dealer. I'm guessing the dealer sold the takeoffs for short haul use too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstream