Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #15

Thanks to all for your wonderful replies. It does the heart good to see such warmth and friendliness.
DGShaffer: Do you know of any other good sites in our area (2-3 hour radius?). The dealer recommended Virginia for a shakedown run. I would rather have adive from an experienced rv'er than a generic online search anyday.
Thanks for your well wishes and the info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kymers Campground in Branchville. Site 18B is our favorite because it's along the stream and the sound of it is great for sleeping. We have a Springer and he needs to run and they have a great big field on the other side of that stream. It would seem like a tight fir but my 37 A backs in easily with enough room to drop the ramp. Kymer's Camping Resort http://njcamping.com/images/kymap.jpg

Turkey Swamp in upper Freehold, NJ is a county park with water and 30 amp electric and a dump station. This place has become our personal favorite with lots of hiking trails and lake with boat rentals. Our dog loves it here! Be sure to look at the traffic pattern on the map, if you choose a site on the left side of the direction arrow your awning ends up on the wrong side and driving the wrong way can be a problem because the roads are too narrow to pass. http://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/1...10_reduced.pdf

Triplebrook is nice, full hook is available but no cable and no reception either. They do have Wifi though. The sites up top in the back are really nice and all grass. A B and C are the best. http://www.triplebrook.com/map.htm

Colonial woods was nice and site C-40 is is up in the corner and really wooded. Colonial Woods Family Camping Resort - Site Map & Rules

There's Spruce Run which is a state park that doesn't allow dogs overnight in the campground. If I didn't have a dog, I would like to live on site 17 which backs right up to the reservoir. If you have a canoe or boat, this would be heaven NJDEP-Parks and Forests

If you find a place and feel that you'd like try it, feel free to contact me as we have either tried or driven through every local campground for miles looking to create a list of weekend options.

There's also RV Park Reviews. we get a lot of information from that site as well as other sources. RV Park Reviews :: Home

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you camped before your purchase of your new motorhome where did you go? Private or public campgrounds? We personally like county, state and federal campgrounds. For us they usually offer larger more secluded sites, hiking, mountain bicycling. Since we do not have children playgrounds and pools are not important. If you have not been to either make sure to try both.

New Jersey state parks only allow dogs in overnight facilities in now five of the southern most parks. I have emailed in the past and the latest excuse was that the bear population along with camping with pets is not a good combination. I personally think it's a very poor excuse being that we are only the second state in the nation not to allow pets in overnight facilities. Hawaii is the other.

For a three hour trip from northern New Jersey we have enjoyed Tioga Lake in Tioga, Pennsylvania. This is a federal (or U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) park. There is hiking, bird watching and boating all within a 30 min drive. Make sure to visit the "Grand Canyon of PA" and if you like birding a trip to "the muck" is a must.
Park Link here
Picture here

A drive north to the Burlington Vermont area is around six hours. Here we stay at Burlington's North Beach campground. This campground is owned by the city of Burlington. This is on Lake Champlain with a bicycle path that will have you from the campground to downtown in around one mile. Great eats and shops along Church street.
Park link here
Pictures here

Want to drive south into Virginia? Here is another favorite. Sherando Lake Recreation Area. This is a federal (U.S. Forest Service) park. Great park if you want to do day trips along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Luray, Charlottesville area.
Park link here
Pictures here

How about a visit to Washington DC and Gettysburg? Might want to try Cunningham Falls State Park in Thurmont Maryland. This is about a hour drive from Washington DC, not bad if you plan on doing a day or two of visiting. Make sure to take advantage of Washington's Metro system.
Park link here
Pictures here

Some useful links we like are:
RV Park Reviews
Recreation.gov

Take the winter to read through all the owners manuals. If you do not have some for a particular appliance make sure to download one and keep it with you.

Do you have emergency road service?

If you are taking pets make sure to have all their license and rabies information with you. make sure their tags have your cell number on them.

Best of luck and ask questions if you have any.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

Congratulations on your new RV it looks like a winner. Mahlon Dickison is a good choice.

There are some nice capgrounds in Cape May, NJ and our favorite is Seashore CG which is open year round. There are a few in Tom's River area too.

If you prefer PA there are few right across the Delaware and in Stroudsburg.

Enjoy and pick yourself up a copy or Woodalls Campground Directory.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #19

Thanks for all of the great advice!

You guys are great with all of this wonderful advice. I have no doubt that I will shortly be familiar with most if not all of these sites and will be able to post some of my own.
Thanks again to one and all.
###. WE'RE PICKING IT UP TOMORROW!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkc02 View Post
You guys are great with all of this wonderful advice. I have no doubt that I will shortly be familiar with most if not all of these sites and will be able to post some of my own.
Thanks again to one and all.
###. WE'RE PICKING IT UP TOMORROW!!!
You sound excited? Are ya excited? I know I was!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #21
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Congrats & best of luck RKcO2!!!! Looks like a great rig, enjoy!!! When I was still working and still spent winters in NJ! I liked going to Ottel Lake in Marshales Creek, PA. Since it has an indoor pool, hot tub & sauna!! Have a great time where ever you end up!!

Remember All: LIVE, LAUGH & ENJOY!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck today and make sure to ask questions. Check for leaks since it is raining here today.

And let us know how everything went after you come home.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks nice, Congrats and Enjoy
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkc02
Well, we did it! Just purchased this 2007 Dutchmen Dorado - too good of a deal to pass up. This is our first RV but seems to have everything we could want and more. External storage space is limited but there's only two of us so it shouldn't be an issue. Taking delivery next week and have already armed myself with lots of knowledge from this site (PDI and Road Test checklists, etc). Still trying to figure out where to go for a short shakedown cruise from North Jersey but there is no shortage of options. Thanks to everyone on the forum for all of the great information, advice and guidance. It has been a Godsend and helped calm the butterflies. We can't wait to get out there and meet some of you!
Congratulations on your new rig and lots of happy miles and meeting new friends. This the best place to gather some very important info and develop a strong desire to get out a meet these great people. We are drooling over so many posted experiences and also can't wait to get out there, hopefully spring or early summer.
We also live in Sussex County near Space Farms. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Enjoy and keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #25

We Made it Home

Hello all. Well, we finally got our new RV home yesterday, but it was the longest, most nerve-racking ride ever. Not what I wanted for the maiden voyage. Due to some unforseen delays, we left for home around 4:30pm and, of course, ran right into the infamous Jersey rush-hour traffic. So it was dark, raining, and bumper-to-bumper all the way home. A few white-knuckle moments with the tractor trailers as I got used to the rig but we made it home 3 hours later without incident.

I have to give a plug and credit to Camping World of New Jersey. It was a pleasure dealing with them and they were patient and professional throughout. Minor issues with prep items were quickly addressed and we left happy! I would heartily recommend this dealer to anyone. Their parent company owns Good Sam so that provides plenty of perks as well.

Overall my wife and I are happy as can be and looking forward to starting a new adventure. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and advice.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update from the looks of it I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment from it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your neighbors will think your nuts when they see you spending the night in it while it's parked in your driveway

I say that because we've all done it. But there is a reason... The best place to be on your maiden over night adventure is right in your driveway. When you realize you forgot the pots to cook in, you only have to go in the house to get it.

You can get comfortable with all of the operations of the new home without the worry of being hours from your other home.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are home safe and that is all that matters.

Let me know if you have any questions or need a hand with anything, I work In Florham Park so I can stop by anytime..