Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Location: Mostly traveling. Several months spent on the Oregon Coast.
Our new Tour

Full Timing in 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD. A LOT of items needed to be fixed. Some minor some very major. Been in various dealers shops over 30 days since delivery in Feb. 2014 from La Mesa RV including 5 full days at the factory in Forest City, IA Just got back to Calif 3 weeks ago and built in SurgeGuard melted and started smoking. I hope the defects stop surfacing soon!!!
Clint11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

Congratulations on full-timing! Hope it won't be long before you can enjoy your new rig without worry of another defect!
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Congrats on the new coach. This is just another story of the warranty issues that it seems all new RV's experience. I also hope you start enjoying the coach after this latest problem is solved.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting, gives those of us looking an idea of "weakest link in the chain"

I am of the opinion that since they seem to be able to sell whatever they build in the short term... it is what to expect until the blowback starts to force the mfg's to slow down and build it right the first time...

from all those that were good enough to go elsewhere and leave the others behind... too many 'craftsmen' got out of the business when the industry had a downturn... so the quality is just not there...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
On the bright side, congrats on the new rig and being able to full time it....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint11 View Post
Full Timing in 2014 Winnebago Tour 42QD. A LOT of items needed to be fixed. Some minor some very major. Been in various dealers shops over 30 days since delivery in Feb. 2014 from La Mesa RV including 5 full days at the factory in Forest City, IA Just got back to Calif 3 weeks ago and built in SurgeGuard melted and started smoking. I hope the defects stop surfacing soon!!!
We have a 2012 Journey, and the same thing happened to us. This is a problem that Winnebago needs to address!

All of my connections were tight, even stayed tightened in the terminal when it melted.

Hope your troubles are about over. My Surge-Guard incident was the first major problem I had since the warranty ran out. Changed over to a separate transfer switch and surge protector. Not like the factory installed.

Several hundreds of dollars later, I think most of the problems are behind me.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

We bought a 2013 Ellispe GD. All kinds of problems but mostly large slides using Schwintek drives. Front slide failed on delivery, been repaired 3 times, in shop 3 months last 2 repairs. Broken again, gears chewed up and nylon rollers in drive gear trashed. We are going to Forest City Dec 1st for another repair. Big problem with these Lippert slides industry wide.

Camping World has been doing the warranty work so far but they are clueless and damage more then they repair. I don't know who I am more disappointed with, Winnabago or Camping World. Winnabago acts like this is the first they have heard about any problems with the Swinteck slides ( 100's of posts all over the internet) and Camping World's here in NC just don't have enough qualified techs. Long turn around times and shoddy hack work. Lots of broken screws and striped bolts, and then out comes the silicone rtv to glue it.

I'm getting ready to speak with my attorney if this 3000 mile trip isn't fruitful.
I'm kinda pissed right now and understand where your coming from!
Blaise Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Recca View Post
We bought a 2013 Ellispe GD. All kinds of problems but mostly large slides using Schwintek drives. Front slide failed on delivery, been repaired 3 times, in shop 3 months last 2 repairs. Broken again, gears chewed up and nylon rollers in drive gear trashed. We are going to Forest City Dec 1st for another repair. Big problem with these Lippert slides industry wide.
Unfortunate Schwintek slides are junk.
RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote