Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Ours with boat attached

66 feet bumper to prop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ours.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	125983  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
66 feet bumper to prop
Super nice . Enjoy.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #3

Illegal in many jurisdictions!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

I'd like to see you back boat in water all together LOL.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like you plan on having a bit of fun this summer. Nice looking set up but have a great time!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I'd like to see you back boat in water all together LOL.
When launching the boat he switches the boat around to a hitch on the front bumper while the 5th stays attached at the back. Much easier to maneuver that way.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice, looks like a great season ahead. Enjoy.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

Actually, I drop the boat somewhere out of the way, then go park the 5'er and comer back for the boat. I'v e seen people launch and retrieve boats connected like this before. Most of the places we go there's really not enough room or the ramps are too busy plus if you don't have to do it, then just don't. It's not that bad to pull this. The 2500 did just fine, and now the 3500 does way fine. The back trailer tracks very well and is easy to pull. You do want to pay even closer attention about where you go. Certainly say no when the wife decides she wants Jack in the Box on Hwy 21 heading into San Marcos. It has only one entry/exit so if you can't get under the the drive thru then don't you dare try it. It is possible to back it all up. Done it many times. Just block out the wife yelling at you. It is fun to see the stares when you pass thru small towns, and theelook on this one guys face when we were going on a trip, and the wife says see how much noise the truck will make taking off from a red light (the 2500 is strait piped) and you wax a guy in a little Toyota car to the next light or when you walk right past people going up a big hill when were almost home. They got their 4 banger to the floor and we cruise right past them.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Actually, I drop the boat somewhere out of the way, then go park the 5'er and comer back for the boat. I'v e seen people launch and retrieve boats connected like this before. Most of the places we go there's really not enough room or the ramps are too busy plus if you don't have to do it, then just don't. It's not that bad to pull this. The 2500 did just fine, and now the 3500 does way fine. The back trailer tracks very well and is easy to pull. You do want to pay even closer attention about where you go. Certainly say no when the wife decides she wants Jack in the Box on Hwy 21 heading into San Marcos. It has only one entry/exit so if you can't get under the the drive thru then don't you dare try it. It is possible to back it all up. Done it many times. Just block out the wife yelling at you. It is fun to see the stares when you pass thru small towns, and theelook on this one guys face when we were going on a trip, and the wife says see how much noise the truck will make taking off from a red light (the 2500 is strait piped) and you wax a guy in a little Toyota car to the next light or when you walk right past people going up a big hill when were almost home. They got their 4 banger to the floor and we cruise right past them.
Do need a special drivers license for this kind of set up?
Old 05-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

Nope. Texas laws changed a little bit a couple years ago. It used to be 5th wheel first, no trailer on a ball first, and 53 feet trailer length max. Now if you have a pickup bed, there is an overall length limit. I think I'm actually over that now due to the longer tow vehicle. Same truck with no bed or a flatbed and there is no length limit, but the 53 foot trailer limit still applies.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Illegal in many jurisdictions!
I guess not in Texas. Although I'm sure he new where it was legal or not before he attempted to do this setup. Don't you think officer?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #12

Legal here and I wouldn't take it out of Texas other than it might be a bit over length. The main law here to abide by is a 5th wheel hitch first. I know other people may not be comfortable doing this and thats fine. Honestly, I prefer to not do this and if I do it only for trips where we aren't going very far. I think if the boat we have didn't look as big as it does, it wouldn't be as shocking. It's an 18 foot pontoon and the whole thing is (guessing) only about 1200 pounds. I've never weighted it and I'd bet it really is more in the 5-600 pound range. I've had the motor off once, doing some adjustments, and it only weighs about 300. I know that I can lift it entirely off the trailer by jacking it about a foot or so in front of the motor and the whole boat will lift up. And with the boat off the trailer, I can pick up the back end of the trailer and walk it sideways. Also if the boat doesn't land perfect onto the trailer, I can easily push it into place. My son now has my old truck so the only time we pulled it with this truck, he pulled it home. He would have pulled it both ways if available. We are talking about finding a lake lot to call our second home and hopefully the boat will just stay there one day. Mainly, I like it because the picture just looks crazy.

I've personally seen way more crazy than this before.