Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pulled the trigger - 1998 Holiday Rambler DP

Weird day - spent all day again looking at rigs. Found a Monaco Dynasty 2001. Paperwork said 79k - working with finance guy and he wasn't budging. Then found they listed it on Craigslist for 65k - called him on it and left

Went next door to a Trendswest truck shop. They had a 998 Holiday Rambler my wife went and looked at with the salesman because I was done for the day. She really liked it but I was done and we left.

Saw miles of traffic on the hi way home and turned around - said might as well look at it.

Made a deal right there!

New gloss over existing paint and decals which may have been faded but not peeling or cracking. New carpet, new flat screen tv's and met all our requirements but 2.

No washer/dryer but has hookups.
Rear radiator - I wanted side radiator.

We wanted 38ft and got it. 2 door dometic fridge. Side by side.
Couches and captains chairs in great condition.
61000 miles
300 hours on 7500w genny

The transwest shop is a new Newmar dealer and truck repair shop and got this on a trade in. They made it look brand new. I couldn't find a single thing that needs fixing (loose doorknobs uneven cabinets nothing). I have been looking at 1999 a 2008 rigs and this one beats them all in its condition.

So excited. Now need to find 40k in financing. I could probably get enough cash to pay it off, but wouldn't have enough left over to buy diesel fuel.

Any suggestions? Will be hitting up Essex with an application tonight. We have to store it until May when we hit the road but couldn't pass this up.

2012 Honda CR-V AWD under 4000 lbs
RV-Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #2

It doesn't have the biggest motor but hopefully it will do the job? Can't find the brochures or online manuals yet either

SPECIFICATIONS:
Sales Price: Call for price
Year: 1998
Make: Holiday Rambler
Model: Endeavor
Class: Class A
Stock ID 5U160893
VIN (Last 6) 898924
Condition Used
Length 38
# of A/C's 2
Air Conditioning Rating (BTU) 13500
Generator Make Onan
Generator Size 7500
Generator Hours 304
Hitch Rating (lbs) 10,000
Mileage 61,550
Roof Type Fiberglass
Leveling Jacks Hydraulic
Slide Outs 1
Fresh Water Capacity (gal) 90
Awning Patio
Bath Configuration 1
Bath Flooring Tile
Entry Flooring Carpet
Amenities Block Heater
Amenities - Bedroom Accent Lighting; Carpet Flooring; Queen Bed; Satellite Receiver; Shades (Day/Night); TV
Amenities - Cab Adjustable Mirrors; Back Up Monitor; Cruise Control; Leather Seating; Powered Step-well Cover; Radio; Tilt/Telescoping Steering
Amenities - Kitchen Accent Lighting; Double Sink; Fantastic Fan; Gas Cook Top; Lower Cabinets; Microwave/ Convection Oven; Shades (Day/Night); Solid Surface Counters; Upper Cabinets; Refrigerator - 4 Door
Amenities - Living Room Carpet Flooring; Accent Lighting; Shades; Dinette; TV; DVD Player
Interior Wood Oak
Satellite Dish Auto-Seek
Engine Make Cummins
Engine Model ISB
Horsepower 275
Fuel Type Diesel
Fuel Capacity 100
Drive Train Single Axle
Transmission Make Allison
Transmission Type 6-Speed Automatic
Chassis Brand Freightliner
Brake Type Air / Drum

Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations, now where are the pictures?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #4

Thank you - it was late and I lost the light to get pics - going back tomorrow and will get some then excited and scared
Old 10-15-2016, 01:59 AM   #5

Did you happen to look under it before the sale?

Maintenance history?
Rust, cracks, brake shoes or pad wear, wheel seals, tie rods, ball joints or kingpins, output shaft seal, main seals, air spring deterioration, tire condition.

Engine oil analysis report.....

The list of critical items goes on and on.........

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Did you happen to look under it before the sale?

Maintenance history?
none available
Rust, cracks, brake shoes or pad wear, wheel seals, tie rods, ball joints or kingpins, output shaft seal, main seals, air spring deterioration, tire condition.
I will have it inspected by an independent inspector before finalizing. DOT inspection and the Transwest truck facility is going through it this weekend for chassis items.
Engine oil analysis report.....
this too is scheduled
The list of critical items goes on and on.........
thanks for the feedback. I am a leery person, so I will be doing my due diligence. Like I said though, I have gone through probably 100 potential rigs. This is the first one I didn't find any issues. It is not perfect, but it is closer than any other rig I have looked at (house wise). The mechanicals are beyond me in many ways. Thus the reason I am buying an older rig that I won't beat myself up over if it doesn't work out. It is a risk, but so is everything in life.

I have enough to pay cash and probably will. I can start over if it doesn't work out I will regret not seeing this wonderful country while still physically able to do so and my DW really wants to spend the time with me I probably am over paying some but even so I am within my planned budget and not buying one of those other rigs that I liked but saw a lot of work that needed doing and outside of my price range.

New tires, new batteries, no rust that I can find. Interior all redone, exterior looks great and no dents or faded cracked decals. All compartments are free of rust and water pump and other items all in reach for easy replacement and winterizing if needed.

I have a lot to learn. I've had long bumper pulls in the past but this is a big rig for me. I am a fast learner I think and will be coming around here for help I am sure.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:35 AM   #7

Hey Jim, congrats. I liked my HR ... it was a nice length to get in most state parks. If you decide to change the reefer to residential, it's relatively easy. There are a bunch of writeups on the forum.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Hey Jim, congrats. I liked my HR ... it was a nice length to get in most state parks. If you decide to change the reefer to residential, it's relatively easy. There are a bunch of writeups on the forum.
Thank you Bruce - that Will be my list. List is long already:
1-financing - want to save money for disasters but may just pay cash and save the payment money. I also need more money to fund the rest of this list
2-insurance
3-storage and winterization for winter this year - not hitting road until May
4-good tank dumping hose set up 90degree sealed system or that is what I heard will need for some parks?
5-water hoses (fresh and black clean out)
6-fire suppression system for fridge, battery and engine compartment.
7-dog bone 50/30 converter
8-tow system to pull my 06 gmc envoy and brake system - very expensive?
9-water pressure regulator
10-surge protector
11-washer/dryer
12-anyone recommend steering safe on these diesels (in case of blow out?)
13-tpms
14-all I can think of right now. Others?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 04:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Thank you Bruce - that Will be my list. List is long already:
1-financing - want to save money for disasters but may just pay cash and save the payment money. I also need more money to fund the rest of this list
2-insurance
3-storage and winterization for winter this year - not hitting road until May
4-good tank dumping hose set up 90degree sealed system or that is what I heard will need for some parks?
5-water hoses (fresh and black clean out)
6-fire suppression system for fridge, battery and engine compartment.
7-dog bone 50/30 converter
8-tow system to pull my 06 gmc envoy and brake system - very expensive?
9-water pressure regulator
10-surge protector
11-washer/dryer
12-anyone recommend steering safe on these diesels (in case of blow out?)
13-tpms
14-all I can think of right now. Others?

Thanks
I can recommend a few of these.

If you do the residential reefer swap, you can probably forego fire suppression (other folks will have a different opinion).

Skip the dogbone and get a much better 50/30 adapter from Progressive Industries.

Get a surge protector EMS from them also.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Adjustable water pressure regulator ... I use a Watts.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABUs.htm

The washer/dryer is always a controversial item on the forum. You will find lots of pros/cons. I have a Majestic stacked pair ... if either quit I'll probably tear them out and convert to storage. I have no issues with using campground or commercial facilities. The Majestic are so small they require using every other day and are prone to imbalance. Others will tell you they MUST have an onboard washer/dryer.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:29 AM   #10

BTW, when you check your RV, have a good look at the A/C units. Typically, RV units are near end of life at 8-10 years. Others will tell you their units are "good as new" at 20 years ... ain't happenin'. A/Cs are heavily used, out in the weather, and build quality is similar to a thru-the-wall apartment unit.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
BTW, when you check your RV, have a good look at the A/C units. Typically, RV units are near end of life at 8-10 years. Others will tell you their units are "good as new" at 20 years ... ain't happenin'. A/Cs are heavily used, out in the weather, and build quality is similar to a thru-the-wall apartment unit.
Thanks for all the great info.

On the AC units, pull the covers - what should I look for? Or just run them and make sure they work?
Old 10-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info.

On the AC units, pull the covers - what should I look for? Or just run them and make sure they work?
Under the covers look for bulging capacitors and overall corrosion and rust. Get yourself an inexpensive IR thermometer like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...31SXQ4YGPPW5R5

You can find them at Lowes/Home depot but a bit more $.

Check for a differential of about 17 - 22 degrees between the intake (warm side) and the exhaust (cold side) on each unit at the vents. In other words, if the warm side is 80 degrees, the cold side should be about 60 degrees. Do the same with the dash air using coldest setting and recirculate.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #13

Any thoughts on portable vs hard wired ems? Hard wired is cheaper. That is a surge protector/ems right? Ems-pt50c is what I am looking at. Portable.

I would still need only a 30 to 50 adapter right?

Dang water pressure regulators are 110 bucks - wow

I got some financing for a little less than half loan amount so that is good. I am putting 50% cash down and will pay it off within a year according to my plan.

Insurance is looking like 657.00 a year full comp/collision. 1k deductible, but zero deductible on windshield. Doesn't have uninsured motorist property damage - that seems weird.

Thanks all - heading out to the lot to do a deep dive on systems right now
Old 10-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Any thoughts on portable vs hard wired ems? Hard wired is cheaper. That is a surge protector/ems right? Ems-pt50c is what I am looking at. Portable.

I would still need only a 30 to 50 adapter right?

Dang water pressure regulators are 110 bucks - wow

I got some financing for a little less than half loan amount so that is good. I am putting 50% cash down and will pay it off within a year according to my plan.

Insurance is looking like 657.00 a year full comp/collision. 1k deductible, but zero deductible on windshield. Doesn't have uninsured motorist property damage - that seems weird.

Thanks all - heading out to the lot to do a deep dive on systems right now
I have the portable ....it's easy to plug in and test the pedestal before you even back into the site. I also have the 50/30 adapter from progressive.

Have a look at your plumbing ... if you have grey pipe (poly butyl), hold your water pressure at about 40lb. If you have white, red, or blue you have PEX (newer ) and you can go as high as 55psi.

Tags
holiday rambler, led